Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software updates - Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
wall connector software needs a way to have multiple charging windows. Electricity plan I’m on is 8c from midnight to 6am, and free from 11am to 2pm. Be good to take advantage of the free period sometimes without stuffing around with the car and wall connector settings.
What’s funny is that the Tesla app already has 2 seperate schedules for the car and the wall connector to enter the charging cost. And the wall connector schedule doesn’t allow you to enter $0 while the car schedule does 🤦🏻‍♂️

The best feature is speeding ticket avoidance.
TACC actually signed, sealed, and delivered a speeding ticket to me. Just after I got the car in 2020, driving south from Melbourne on whatever that freeway is that was then new, TACC volunteered me to drive 110 in what apparently was 100 km/h limit.

In TACCs defense, this is one of the most ridiculous speed limits I've ever seen, planet wide. Flat, straight, and curvature of the earth being the only visibility limiting factor at that location... yet for some reason they figured 110 was too quick there!

TACC actually signed, sealed, and delivered a speeding ticket to me. Just after I got the car in 2020, driving south from Melbourne on whatever that freeway is that was then new, TACC volunteered me to drive 110 in what apparently was 100 km/h limit.

In TACCs defense, this is one of the most ridiculous speed limits I've ever seen, planet wide. Flat, straight, and curvature of the earth being the only visibility limiting factor at that location... yet for some reason they figured 110 was too quick there!
If they made the speed limit 110kmh they would miss out on all the speeding fine revenue raising. Have to remember, its for your safety….. 🤪

Reactions: Jules22
I have historically been a generous patron to VICs state revenue. And in NSW where we have compulsory third party insurance (aka CTP, the "green slip"), and private insurance companies are administering this public liability in a privatised manner, they have started taking demerit points into account in order to bolster their coffers even more. So the last VIC speeding fine from 2.5 years ago is costing me about $200 extra every year I have to renew the CTP. So in effect, a speeding fine is not just the fine amount itself, but the increased cost for insurance, which amounts to a multiple of the original fine.

The constitutionality of this practise in my view is probably not given as you're getting punished for the same offence several times, but as far as I know nobody has taken it to court. But then again, so are double/triple demerit points on certain days of the year. An offence should be the same offence - regardless of when it is committed.

The only study that ever was published on demerit points being a predictive factor for accident probability hails from Monash in 1997. Their conclusion is deeply flawed. They found that having demerit points roughly doubles the probability that a future crash is correctly predicted (it does NOT double the probability that a crash occurs). And for drivers age 50+ (my category), there was no data. It's one of the better examples of how bad statistics are used against us.

I have historically been a generous patron to VICs state revenue. And in NSW where we have compulsory third party insurance (aka CTP, the "green slip"), and private insurance companies are administering this public liability in a privatised manner, they have started taking demerit points into account in order to bolster their coffers even more. So the last VIC speeding fine from 2.5 years ago is costing me about $200 extra every year I have to renew the CTP. So in effect, a speeding fine is not just the fine amount itself, but the increased cost for insurance, which amounts to a multiple of the original fine.

The constitutionality of this practise in my view is probably not given as you're getting punished for the same offence several times, but as far as I know nobody has taken it to court. But then again, so are double/triple demerit points on certain days of the year. An offence should be the same offence - regardless of when it is committed.

The only study that ever was published on demerit points being a predictive factor for accident probability hails from Monash in 1997. Their conclusion is deeply flawed. They found that having demerit points roughly doubles the probability that a future crash is correctly predicted (it does NOT double the probability that a crash occurs). And for drivers age 50+ (my category), there was no data. It's one of the better examples of how bad statistics are used against us.
Back when I was in the insurance industry, a CTP provider needed to show the authority that it had statistically significant data if they wish to introduce a new rating factor.
So this means they were able to show a relationship between demerit points and claim risk. Unfortunately there is no requirement to make such data public so we will never see the justification.

Back when I was in the insurance industry, a CTP provider needed to show the authority that it had statistically significant data if they wish to introduce a new rating factor.
So this means they were able to show a relationship between demerit points and claim risk. Unfortunately there is no requirement to make such data public so we will never see the justification.
Might just be me getting older or an obvious observation that most big business have taken the liberty of increasing pricing over the last few years in perticular with little or no justification other than increased shareholder profits.

using TACC, why does it sometimes not change the max speed to match the speed limit? This morning from 60 speed limit to 80 speed limit, it kept the max speed to 60. I had to manually adjust the max speed via the right scroll button.
What am I doing wrong?

It won't go faster than the initial speed you set TACC to.
eg.

1. Turn TACC on at 60. Go to 40 zone, it will reduce to 40. Go back to 60 zone, it will go to 60. Go into 80 zone, it will stay at 60.
2. Turn TACC on at 80. Go to 60 zone, it will reduce to 60. Go back to 80 zone, it will go to 80. Go into 100 zone, it will stay at 80.

eg.

1. Turn TACC on at 60. Go to 40 zone, it will reduce to 40. Go back to 60 zone, it will go to 60. Go into 80 zone, it will stay at 60.
2. Turn TACC on at 80. Go to 60 zone, it will reduce to 60. Go back to 80 zone, it will go to 80. Go into 100 zone, it will stay at 80.
There is a little more to it. I have noticed over the years that on some roads it adjusts speeds and on others it does not, also on some roads there are places where it adjusts set speed and other locations on same road where it does not. So it would appear that they have some form or road classification system, that they allow the car to adjust set speed on certain locations and not others. Here in QLD it does not really match the local road classifications or might be affected by historical places where there has been road works in the last 10 years. Though often the data that causes them to change "set speed" is not current and for some reason they do not use the speed limits the cameras detect. Even though the car clearly sees the limits and changes the speed limit on screen.

Electricity plan I’m on is 8c from midnight to 6am, and free from 11am to 2pm.
Who is that with? I have the 8c overnight but not the free daytime tarrif?

Or just use chargeHq.
Or just use iPhone automations. Not as simple as ChargeHQ, but free.

Yeah, as the above poster pointed out, it's not consistently the case. Sometimes it will slow down when entering a lower speed zone, sometimes it won't. Sometimes it will speed up when entering a higher speed zone, sometimes it won't. But it's usually consistent in each location - i.e. some speed zones seem to be encoded with different classifications that the car will choose to either enforce or ignore.

On my daily drive the highway goes from 110 to 100 to 80. If I do nothing, it will still be doing 110 in the 80 zone. Going into my local town, the road goes from 80 to 60. It doesn't respect the 60 either. But if I turn in to a posted 50 side-street, it will respect that.

2024.2.6 installed today. Only new item in release notes is "Time Until Charging Starts - When you arrive and plug in, if your vehicle battery has not warmed up enough, you’ll now see how long it will be until DC fast charging starts." So not much use in Australia (even in Tassie!)

Not sure if there are any undocumented changes that haven't been noticed yet.

2024.2.6 installed today. Only new item in release notes is "Time Until Charging Starts - When you arrive and plug in, if your vehicle battery has not warmed up enough, you’ll now see how long it will be until DC fast charging starts." So not much use in Australia (even in Tassie!)

Not sure if there are any undocumented changes that haven't been noticed yet.
Ditto. I havent driven the car yet today but installed it this morning

eg.

thanks. i will observe more this test case.
since using TACC morei observed i definitely get more kms for every % battery.

That's unfortunately not universally true. TACC+AS often shows that behaviour, but TACC without AS more often does not, neither slows the car down nor speeds it up. Tesla years ago told me it's a matter of whether the detected speed limit matches with what's in the database, and what category road it is.