Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Software Updates for Model 3 New Zealand

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driving today variable speed limit set to 100k, regular speed 80k
No change in speed limit in car,still 80k
Could be because the variable speed limit signs are quite high up across the top of the lane and the car can’t see.them
Or it’s ignoring them treating them as a bridge or something

Did it update the red circled speed sign on the screen? The people in the UK mentioned that it didn't automatically reduce its speed but it showed it on the screen, which means you can then hold the gear stalk down to the first resistence point and it will drop to that speed.

No it didn't update the speed limit. The red circled speed sign on the screen stayed at 80k
The variable speed limit above the motorway lanes was at 100k
80k is the usual speed limit on this part of the motorway until the variable speed limit area
I'll have to see if I can find some that are not so high up across the lanes to see if it detects them if they are
in the more traditional location on the side of the lane

in the 2022.20.6 release notes it does say
Speed Assist
Speed Assist now leverages your car's cameras to detect speed limit signs.
This improves the accuracy of speed limit data on local roads and highways in select countries.
Detected speed limit signs will be displayed in the driving visualization.
(not relevant in New Zealand)

maybe this is enabled for UK

On a side note I've not had my car reduce or increase speed automatically on the motorway
Speed limit changes on screen but car carries on at whatever the speed limit originally was
100k-80 it will happily carry on at 100k and vice versa unless I manually change the speed limit

• Informative
Reactions: Audietron
No it didn't update the speed limit. The red circled speed sign on the screen stayed at 80k
The variable speed limit above the motorway lanes was at 100k
80k is the usual speed limit on this part of the motorway until the variable speed limit area
I'll have to see if I can find some that are not so high up across the lanes to see if it detects them if they are
in the more traditional location on the side of the lane

in the 2022.20.6 release notes it does say
Speed Assist
Speed Assist now leverages your car's cameras to detect speed limit signs.
This improves the accuracy of speed limit data on local roads and highways in select countries.
Detected speed limit signs will be displayed in the driving visualization.
(not relevant in New Zealand)

maybe this is enabled for UK

On a side note I've not had my car reduce or increase speed automatically on the motorway
Speed limit changes on screen but car carries on at whatever the speed limit originally was
100k-80 it will happily carry on at 100k and vice versa unless I manually change the speed limit
It changes the speed for me at most instances when car is on navigate on auto... few places strangely it wouldn't.... not consistent but works on my fixed route.

It's picking up speed data from online system someplace, not from speed signs... I noticed that many time after roadwork is over, workers don't remove the speed online or online system not updated with lower speed signs gone and car will drop to stupid 30km speed for no reason... so many annoyed people behind me in such instances....

so my observation says.... since major software update with navigation update few months back:
  1. It doesn't know difference between terrain... so signal under the bridge it still stops (not using vision and unsuccessfully relaying on map data)
  2. It doesn't read or change speed according to speed signs, it's getting speed data from navigation map and traffic data.... missing out opportunity to speed-up.
  3. It doesn't use vision to change lane during traffic. when sometime it changes lane to get into faster lane... most other time it will try to stupidly follow wrong lane - only to try to get back in original lane... specially near harbour bridge and tunnel before it at Auckland.
  4. It doesn't use vision to indicate only when merging lane at motorway exit... starts indicating 100-150mtr before merging starts... confusing the hell out of other drivers as it's not signal to change lane.
In nutshell, I believe it's not using vision correctly.... something messed up since that major software update few months back... some of the issues (1, 2) are confirmed by Tesla service center but they don't know when or if they will get fixed... remaining still awaiting on communication from Tesla, as I report every one of them with call button.

From what you say I think I'll have to raise this issue with Tesla (not changing speed automatically)
NoA doesn't change speed limit on motorway for me

I think it doesn't do any forward planning
this lane is slow, I'm changing lanes now!
crap now I have to get back in the other lane I just to left to exit dam it, changing lanes now!
when it should be more like this lane is slow but I have to exit soon and traffic is heavy I'll stay in this lane

From what you say I think I'll have to raise this issue with Tesla (not changing speed automatically)
NoA doesn't change speed limit on motorway for me

I think it doesn't do any forward planning
this lane is slow, I'm changing lanes now!
crap now I have to get back in the other lane I just to left to exit dam it, changing lanes now!
when it should be more like this lane is slow but I have to exit soon and traffic is heavy I'll stay in this lane
It does no planning at all... even not learning from mistakes...

when I get to cross harbour bridge from north shore side, it will try to get to extreme right lane, only to realise mid bridge that car need to get to extreme left lane to enter the city... so jumping 4 lanes both side of bridge for no reason..
When I approach harbour bridge from SH1 city side via tunnel, it will first try to get me to extreme right lane... after changing those 3 lanes, it will immediately start movement to get me to extreme left lane (where it was originally driving earlier) only to find that not enough people stopping traffic to let it do that monkey move and stopping navigate on autopilot as tunnel starts.... once tunnel over all over back to extreme left, regardless of going to whangarei direction or Onewa road... mid bridge it will panic that not going to immediate exit so now slowly again need to change lanes and go to extreme right lane after bridge...

so stupid that I disable navigate on autopilot near bridge to save frustration for myself and all fellow drivers...

All the best getting answer from service centre, they are waiting for most answers themselves when it comes to FSD and autopilot... they can't even see bugs reported when driving - poor fellows.

It does no planning at all... even not learning from mistakes...

when I get to cross harbour bridge from north shore side, it will try to get to extreme right lane, only to realise mid bridge that car need to get to extreme left lane to enter the city... so jumping 4 lanes both side of bridge for no reason..
When I approach harbour bridge from SH1 city side via tunnel, it will first try to get me to extreme right lane... after changing those 3 lanes, it will immediately start movement to get me to extreme left lane (where it was originally driving earlier) only to find that not enough people stopping traffic to let it do that monkey move and stopping navigate on autopilot as tunnel starts.... once tunnel over all over back to extreme left, regardless of going to whangarei direction or Onewa road... mid bridge it will panic that not going to immediate exit so now slowly again need to change lanes and go to extreme right lane after bridge...

so stupid that I disable navigate on autopilot near bridge to save frustration for myself and all fellow drivers...

All the best getting answer from service centre, they are waiting for most answers themselves when it comes to FSD and autopilot... they can't even see bugs reported when driving - poor fellows.
I think I'll leave auto lane change on with 2022.20.6 and see how it goes
if it's still not doing any forward planning, I think I'll change to confirmation
That should stop crazy lane changing

Ii’s my experience that the car will not adjust speed when in TACC but will lower and sometimes increase again to the registered speed in Autopilot.
Did some more testing today
FSD 2022.20.6
Off the motorway the car will change the speed limit up and down to match speed limit signs
On the motorway the car sees the speed limit, it changes on the display, but it does not change FSD speed to match
80k changes to 100k continues on at 80k
100k changes 80k continues on at 100k

FSD will happily carry on at whatever speed it was last engaged at regardless of the motorway speed limit
Unless FSD disengaged and engaged then it then uses the correct speed speed limit, or it's is manually change

Today I drove past a few low variable speed limit signs on side the motorway in the same position you'd expect to see the fixed 80/100k speed limit signs
The area is normally 80k the car was showing 80k speed limit
The variable speed limits were showing 100k, passed the variable speed limit ......nothing
Car still showing 80k

so it's looking like no variable speed limit sign support for NZ yet

• Funny
Today I drove past a few low variable speed limit signs on side the motorway in the same position you'd expect to see the fixed 80/100k speed limit signs
The area is normally 80k the car was showing 80k speed limit
The variable speed limits were showing 100k, passed the variable speed limit ......nothing
Car still showing 80k

so it's looking like no variable speed limit sign support for NZ yet
Yup... I guess we are on slingshot progressive mode.... they will slowly take us to super early days over next few years, days before Adaptive Cruise Control - I hope not), before literally giving heart attack by getting it right and introducing FSD... 😂

FSD 2022.20.6
Off the motorway the car will change the speed limit up and down to match speed limit signs
On the motorway the car sees the speed limit, it changes on the display, but it does not change FSD speed to match

FSD will happily carry on at whatever speed it was last engaged at regardless of the motorway speed limit
Unless FSD disengaged and engaged then it then uses the correct speed speed limit, or it's is manually change
Off the motorway car is not doing navigate on autopilot, that's why it's getting it right as not depending on navigation maps data.
On motorway car is doing navigate on autopilot, that's why it thinks bridge under motorway is on motorway, speed indication detected and displayed doesn't exist... simply because of disconnection with reality... something went terribly wrong since new navigation data and new User Interface... Tesla couldn't fix it yet... early days of New UI they tried to fix by changing how navigation menu displayed etc.... probably overwriting some part of it (I wouldn't know for fact) but yet to fix disconnection between different components....

I understand that confessing such mess would hurt company and shares/stakeholders [cough], but as car owner I wonder, what other features comes and goes?

One other thing I recently notice changing is Passenger airbag status.... since new UI at some stages I noticed it was showing off... recent days it's showing ON..... not a good experience when without driver's knowledge airbag were on and off....

Off the motorway car is not doing navigate on autopilot, that's why it's getting it right as not depending on navigation maps data.
On motorway car is doing navigate on autopilot, that's why it thinks bridge under motorway is on motorway, speed indication detected and displayed doesn't exist... simply because of disconnection with reality... something went terribly wrong since new navigation data and new User Interface... Tesla couldn't fix it yet... early days of New UI they tried to fix by changing how navigation menu displayed etc.... probably overwriting some part of it (I wouldn't know for fact) but yet to fix disconnection between different components....

I understand that confessing such mess would hurt company and shares/stakeholders [cough], but as car owner I wonder, what other features comes and goes?

One other thing I recently notice changing is Passenger airbag status.... since new UI at some stages I noticed it was showing off... recent days it's showing ON..... not a good experience when without driver's knowledge airbag were on and off....
come to think of it, I think I remember yonks ago Tesla enabling auto speed limit changes for city streets for NZ
but not enabling it for motorways.

Yonks is a technical term for Tesla time periods = 7 dog years or 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely
unless logs show no one is using it....

I didn't notice that, I'll have to pay more attention to the old bag :)
I think in the US the passenger air bag is disabled of no one is in the passenger seat
I run Taxi service for my wife... and put up with constant screen access to make maps visible as she need to get all the way down settings for opening the glovebox for makeup and stuff.
make me notice screen more often than I would like.... also trying to call her when driving alone, I need to dig down phone section to open things... same for constant network outage forcing me to dig down tune-in and switch radio station to force network search and start radio playing in car....

so many opportunity to notice everything on screen.....

or maybe, I am just "Trust but verify" guy.... trusting and paying Tesla to drive for me, but consistently verifying if I am still in control - lol.

PS: Recently on way to drop her, I was joking with my wife that I enjoy people-watching after dropping her, as everyone is stuck in traffic and I have car on autopilot so I can seat back and look at driver faces in car on opposite lane... joking that there is new species on road called "Peeping Tom(s) of Tesla".... on way back, my car choose extreme measures to get me home from very zig-zag residential route with no cars crossing my path.... probably car was listening on our conversation and thinks I am really a Peeping Tom :rolleyes: 😂 😂

• Funny
Reactions: Ecoli
come to think of it, I think I remember yonks ago Tesla enabling auto speed limit changes for city streets for NZ
but not enabling it for motorways.

Yonks is a technical term for Tesla time periods = 7 dog years or 3 months maybe, 6 months definitely
unless logs show no one is using it....
Yonks are wonky for sure... every time different durations I guess.... but always between 3 months to 13 years, more or less.

• Funny
Reactions: Ecoli
FSD 2022.20.6

I'm going to be that guy and point out that you should be saying Autopilot, not FSD 😉 Just so we don't confuse new visitors.

Bummer that the variable speed limit recognition isn't here for NZ tho.

I'm going to be that guy and point out that you should be saying Autopilot, not FSD 😉 Just so we don't confuse new visitors.

Bummer that the variable speed limit recognition isn't here for NZ tho.
I am going to be that guy to point out that taking away basic functionality as variable speed limit from autopilot, what is sold as FSD got literally nothing left worth $11400....
but again, it's my personal view as feel cheated when I don't get answers and service provider works in shadows.