Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla standard Nema 14-50 Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have the standard charging kit that came with my car. Right now it is plugged into my Nema 14-50 plug. I didn't drive my MS today so it is sitting at 80% battery charge.

Should I plug I tonight before I go to bed, even though it won't charge?

The green light on the unit is on. Is this using electricity? Or enough electricity that it is a "vampire" and I should unplug unless I'm charging?

Ok, I'll plug in.

Any thoughts on the vampire drain question?
The green light is always on. Is it 'moving'? The movement of the light is what shows it is actively charging. On my car, it won't start recharging the vampire drain unless I leave it connected for a full day. I have noticed this phenomenon when I travel and leave it hooked up at the airport...it will start charging the portion that was vampired after about a day.

Just make it a habit to plug in when you get home at the end of the day and unplug when you leave in the morning. Just as you probably do with your smartphone. Don't worry about when/if it's charging. Let the battery management system manage the battery.

Oh, and reading the owners manual would probably help too.

• Helpful
  • Funny
Reactions: brkaus and Mknac
Just make it a habit to plug in when you get home at the end of the day and unplug when you leave in the morning. Just as you probably do with your smartphone. Don't worry about when/if it's charging. Let the battery management system manage the battery.

Oh, and reading the owners manual would probably help too.
On the other hand, being a mindless slave to the charger is unnecessary, too. Do not lose any sleep if you forget and leave the car unplugged for a few days.

The recommendation to always plug in is there because the car does consume some power when it's just sitting idle (maybe 2 or 3 rated miles overnight if you have Controls > Displays > Energy Saving mode on, and 5-6 if you don't.) If you're mindful of that, and try to keep your battery in its "happy zone," charged between 50% and 90% full, you'll be just fine. What you don't want is to let the battery sit at either end of the scale: leaving it at a really low state of charge, or at a 100% full state, can cause degradation of capacity. Tesla will warn you about those extremes with pop-up notices on the car's screen if you're there too often.

Reactions: Mknac
thecloud is right. I don't worry too much about it. I leave it unplugged on my working days. Long day and only 8 miles from work why bother? Once the winter comes I will probably not plug it in as much daily if only because of snow, freeze,winds etc.....But, I hear the battery is less efficient in the cold so..........................

thecloud is right. I don't worry too much about it. I leave it unplugged on my working days. Long day and only 8 miles from work why bother? Once the winter comes I will probably not plug it in as much daily if only because of snow, freeze,winds etc.....But, I hear the battery is less efficient in the cold so..........................
What about the cold and snow makes you not want to plug it in daily? If anything, temperature extremes are even more reason to keep the car plugged in when possible.

Doesn't anyone RTFM any more? It wasn't written just for early adopters to memorize.

Reactions: Garlan Garner
The green light on the unit is on. Is this using electricity? Or enough electricity that it is a "vampire" and I should unplug unless I'm charging?

I think there is a bit of confusion in your question. The UMC aka EVSE does use power when plugged in, but minimal (dunno for sure, but other EVSEs use a couple of Watts when in stand-by). I would not unplug the UMC every time.

Vampire drain is referring to car loosing a few miles per period of time on supporting some internal processes.

I agree with @TexasEV, and it's recommended by Tesla just to leave your car plugged in when not in use without worrying too much about internals of what is happening, etc. Car will trigger re-charge as needed. The only aspect to consider is your electrical rates across different times if that is applicable to your plan.

Yes agree.

Vampire drain is also used by utility companies in reference to electrical appliances, say TVs for example, that are plugged in and off but still using electricity increasing a household's usage and ultimately their electric bill.

Some vampires drink more than others. I was curious if the Tesla power cord being plugged in and constantly on was a significant power train that you would be better off unplugging it when not actually charging?

Yes agree.

Vampire drain is also used by utility companies in reference to electrical appliances, say TVs for example, that are plugged in and off but still using electricity increasing a household's usage and ultimately their electric bill.

Some vampires drink more than others. I was curious if the Tesla power cord being plugged in and constantly on was a significant power train that you would be better off unplugging it when not actually charging?
No-- and any pennies you might save over time would pale in comparison to having to replace the outlet that you would wear out prematurely.

What about the cold and snow makes you not want to plug it in daily? If anything, temperature extremes are even more reason to keep the car plugged in when possible.

Doesn't anyone RTFM any more? It wasn't written just for early adopters to memorize.
It's not that I don't want to plug in but when I have 80% and only need the car for a couple days of travel back/forth to work ....no need.
Or i'm just a wimp and don't like the cold. Call me Mary
I don't know what RTFM means :(