Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla stopped supplying 12V power to the aux pin of the 7 way - Fixed!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That is what I understand, though I'd certainly test it if is important to you.
I was told that there was a design modification that deleted the hot wire from the pin. A wire appeared to still be there as the tech seemed to only needed to put it into the right place and do some software stuff.

Thanks again. And I assume a tester like the below would tell me if mine is fine?

7-Way RV Blade Connector Tester (Packaged)

We ran into this problem with our late-2018 MX. The 7-pin socket couldn't power the trailer or its RF brake controller.

Armed with a multimeter, I traced the "missing" 12V aux from the 7-pin socket back to where the towing wiring harness connects to the vehicle. Indeed, the red wire on the side of the wiring harness plug was on the wrong side, just as described in the first post.

The plug itself is a Molex 034985-1606 connector. I used the drawing to figure out how to pop the front off (the white part, it takes very little force) to gain access to the internal retaining clip for the red wire. Once I got the receptacle terminal for the red wire out, it was just a matter of swapping the red wire and the blue silicone plug and reassembling the connector. I tested with a multimeter again and saw a steady 15.5V on the aux pin, as expected. I reattached the 7-pin socket bracket and everything worked, including the prodigy RF controller.

I didn't have to do any disassembly beyond part of the plug and the two screws holding the 7-pin socket bracket. I needed to move the bracket out of the way so I had enough room under the bumper to fit my hands. The wiring harness itself was attached to the body at its midpoint with a zip-tie, but I didn't end up needing to remove and replace this. There was enough slack in the red wire to swap sides without any further adjustment of the wiring harness.

IIRC, AUX is powered any time the vehicle is "on", even in P.

Good luck! A multimeter is your best friend for this one, but it ended up being a simple repair.
Thank you! Did this today, really easy with your directions.

Can anyone confirm if it’s possible to use a higher amp fuse (131) from 15A to 20A. My electric trailer jack uses 20A and I wasn’t aware until the moment I tried using it and blew the fuse. This happened while at Tesla service. The tech said he can’t comment as it isn’t to spec and Tesla can’t be liable. He was nice enough to replace it with another 15A fuse, which would’ve been illegal to drive without trailer lights.

My bad... Build date is also september.

So...I confirm that my September 2017 X75D had the same problem described in the first post. I followed the procedure and placed the red wire in its place and everything is fine now.

Just want to add a small detail... September 2017 is around the time where the tow package became standard equipment and my X didn't have it even if it was supposed to have it. So my tow package was installed at the service center shortly after delivery. It became back ordered for months in US/Canada shortly after that.

Hi Steinmetz,

We have no way of knowing what is in your car...
If you use the tester in post 21 or a Curt 58270... All available on Amazon For $8 to $15...
Those are not typos it's from eight to fifteen dollars for a tester for you to check...
Otherwise go to your hitch equipment supplier and they will test it for you, most likely free...

Shawn

My X is currently in service for having significant issues while in trailer mode. Lots of error messages including Power Limited. They believe that it is related to the trailer "back feeding 12 Volts" to the car. I had the 12V made hot by the Littleton Service Center earlier this year and it seems that may not have been done correctly. But, Tesla is now blaming my trailer.

Any ideas?

Hi Brave Ulysses,

You have good trailer service out there...
Double check with them, advise what Tesla says and see if they
are able to fit the trailer or the harness with a diode to prevent back
feeding the car.
It should be easy to fix that...
Whether that fixes the problem or not is another question...

Good luck,

Shawn

PS - These diodes are pretty common to prevent the car from draining power from the trailer.

Reactions: croman and MP3Mike
Hi Jlochner,

One of their mobile service people repaired it in my garage with hand tools...
You are able to request a mobile visit to fix it...
Whether that can happen in time for you or not is up to their scheduling...
It never hurts to ask.

Shawn
I have a 2020 Mx and the SC in our area in California are clueless about this issue. Would you mind sharing the description of their fix? Like part numbers etc? So appreciate you bringing up this topic.

Hi @Rheddysetgo ,

The harness with the 7 blade connector Tesla part 1046032-00-C
will need to be removed from the car.
That is a fairly easy task...
The large Red wire needs to be moved to opposite end of the plug.
It is the position currently occupied by the blue plug.
Then the blue plug closes the hole the red wire came from...

The picture below shows the FINAL CORRECT position of the wires
in the plug.

Trailer Harness Label.jpg
Trailer Connector.jpg

Sorry for the dirt, it has been 2 years since the fix was applied.

Good luck,

Shawn

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Misterbee
Hi @Rheddysetgo ,

The harness with the 7 blade connector Tesla part 1046032-00-C
will need to be removed from the car.
That is a fairly easy task...
The large Red wire needs to be moved to opposite end of the plug.
It is the position currently occupied by the blue plug.
Then the blue plug closes the hole the red wire came from...

The picture below shows the FINAL CORRECT position of the wires
in the plug.

View attachment 669396
View attachment 669397

Sorry for the dirt, it has been 2 years since the fix was applied.

Good luck,

Shawn
This is very helpful. Thank you Shawn.

Thank You to the OP for doing the leg work and this post. I bought the Curt Echo brake controller and could not get it to pair with my phone. After finding this thread it was indeed the lack of 12v. I followed the instructions provided in this post and everything now works perfectly. Thanks Again!

Hi.
I have a 2021 MX LRP (build date 2020-11).
I has this same issue. I am stunned that Tesla has not fixed this yet.
It is easy to remove the trailer harness connector to the 7 way connector and then move the red wire to the other position on the tesla connector side.

Also note that the +12V is only on when the car is on. It was on all the time in my 2016 MX90D.
I really like having the +12V on all the time, even when the car is off, so that I can leave a powered cooler outside the car while camping.
So....
Since I don't use electric trailer brakes much, I went into that area (under the dash) and plugged in the connector for the trailer brakes. Then I wired together the +12V and the Brake Output of the pigtail of the trailer brake controller connector. Note that this +12V supply to the trailer brake controller under the dash is on all the time and does not shut down when the car is off.
This way I just pull power off the trailer brake terminal at the 7-way trailer connector for my cooler. Note that this uses all the normal wiring of the tesla and is fuse properly (so I didn't have to mess with anything).
YES, I do know that if I plug into a trailer with electric brakes it will lock them on full. So this is only a solution for those who know exactly what they are doing.

Lukas