Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, this is what the production Model 3 should look like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That really does look like a Porsche, and I like it. Those 2inches added to the front make a huge difference with the contour of the car. Great job Huq
Thanks man. I figure if Elon is listening and this is truly "the people's car", then the cream truly does float to the top. With James Anders front edit and what others have suggested, we all see the same things. Musk has been a man of no compromise so far- hoping he really sticks it to the brands I am currently overpaying for lol.

Subhuman, I almost left the stub in my photoshop- just extending the front overhang and lowering the greenhouse got rid of the Mario Bros. Blowfish/Goldfish look. If they can just subtly tweak the proportion enough, those things wont matter.

Like a well tailored suit, the fit and finish will overshadow our poor choices in patterns or colors.

Reactions: mdevp
I really think tesla choose the snub nose to try differentiate it from Porsche and make it look like no other car. While I like the front modification shown in this thread it really does make it look to similar to the Porsche family.
Now it looks more like an Aston but as you can see it looks pretty great, untouched and just lengthened with the adjusted greenhouse...
Tesla3revis2.jpg

Good stuff. I think the Tesla design team went TOO hard with trying to shorten the car. It's a bit bubbly and far shorter than the likes of a BMW 3 Series. By like over 10 inches. That's great and all for aerodynamics and weight, but man it's a little too short that you can't get the headroom in the back without making it look like an SUV.

People are saying this is a shrunken Model S, but dammit this is a shrunken Model X! Just look at the back end! It has X written all over it! I don't hate it, but I would like a sleeker, more sedan-like design. They emphasized fitting 5 adults comfortably way too much. I will carry people in the backseat maybe once a month. It's not a big deal. I, and likely many other people, do not need so much space in the back seat, especially with the tiny trunk and rear doors. Can't fit *sugar* in there to take advantage of all that space even if I wanted to.
You just made me realize my biggest problem with this design...which for the record I mostly love. There IS too much consideration for rear seat space going on here....I drive a goddam Mustang right now so I have passengers like never. It's certainly something I can and will accept but you hit on a good point for this future owner.
One thing to think about on this point is how they all knew the reveal would pack in the 3 adults on those test drives with everyone watching....maybe this can be a design element that can .....evolve" ?! Give up some of that space and fix the trunk opening ....something to ponder. As we wait.

Very nice stuff here guys! VERY NICE. But has anyone bothered to place a front license plate to see how it would look. Living in WA, cops will bust your cojones if you don't have one. I had a "Show N Go" license plate holder on my old Audi S5, but based on the design of the M3 it is likely not even an option.

You just made me realize my biggest problem with this design...which for the record I mostly love. There IS too much consideration for rear seat space going on here....I drive a goddam Mustang right now so I have passengers like never. It's certainly something I can and will accept but you hit on a good point for this future owner.
One thing to think about on this point is how they all knew the reveal would pack in the 3 adults on those test drives with everyone watching....maybe this can be a design element that can .....evolve" ?! Give up some of that space and fix the trunk opening ....something to ponder. As we wait.

My concern as well. I also drive a two door fastbacky car and have no family. Regardless even with a family or large group, stats show the amount of times anyone will have someone taller than 6'2" in the back of their cars to be very very low. With a majority of cars, the driver is the primary occupant 80% of the usage. My math isn't exact but it's not far off.

We just started getting sleeker profile for cars, some too much so like a chrysler 300 or Camaro but atleast they're not top heavy. This car is ironic in that most cars nowadays look pretty decent on the outside but suffer on the interior. Even if controversial, the Tesla interior is nice for now but the exterior could use some shaving and balance. Lowering the greenhouse and making the back lower would also help the lack of hatch as right now, it just looks to stubby and tall in the wrong bits.

Practicality is great but cars are an emotional purchase when new at a certain price. Tesla is a lifestyle brand and very much has emotions on its side and against. I hope they can pull off an uncompromised design. They need to be honest and not pretend this is a cheaper S, so it can have the same interior room as the S but suffer in exterior dynamics.

Reactions: Justmurr
People like cars that are low and look very sleek. But the wind tends to favor more of an egg shape.
I think the tall roof isn't just about maximizing rear headroom, but the car's shape is dictated a lot by their need to get a low CD for most efficient range out of least kWh.
I remember reading a story about the Audi TT where it was said that the stylists wanted one shape, and the wind tunnel people wanted something very different. The decision makers went with the "people like the looks better" version even though it had more drag, and worse MPG. It also had a problem with handling due to too much lift.
I guess they ended up with a CD like .34 which isn't that great. Getting a .21 (goal) for Model 3 is really impressive. It would be among the most aerodynamic ever.
Some story about TT aerodynamics:
AutoSpeed - Car Aerodynamics Have Stalled

People like cars that are low and look very sleek. But the wind tends to favor more of an egg shape.
I think the tall roof isn't just about maximizing rear headroom, but the car's shape is dictated a lot by their need to get a low CD for most efficient range out of least kWh.
I remember reading a story about the Audi TT where it was said that the stylists wanted one shape, and the wind tunnel people wanted something very different. The decision makers went with the "people like the looks better" version even though it had more drag, and worse MPG. It also had a problem with handling due to too much lift.
I guess they ended up with a CD like .34 which isn't that great. Getting a .21 (goal) for Model 3 is really impressive. It would be among the most aerodynamic ever.
Some story about TT aerodynamics:
AutoSpeed - Car Aerodynamics Have Stalled
I imagine it to be so very difficult to get that coefficient but I wonder what efficiency compromise equals more drag and how that translates in the real world... even theoretically. Whats the drag on the Model S? I know we want efficiency but think of the children! haha jokes aside, I'd give up 10 to 15 empg for something more sexy than quirky. I don't have a problem with the Egg on Skateboard architecture, just don't want the egg to be bigger than the board.

Good stuff. I think the Tesla design team went TOO hard with trying to shorten the car. It's a bit bubbly and far shorter than the likes of a BMW 3 Series. By like over 10 inches. That's great and all for aerodynamics and weight, but man it's a little too short that you can't get the headroom in the back without making it look like an SUV.

People are saying this is a shrunken Model S, but dammit this is a shrunken Model X! Just look at the back end! It has X written all over it! I don't hate it, but I would like a sleeker, more sedan-like design. They emphasized fitting 5 adults comfortably way too much. I will carry people in the backseat maybe once a month. It's not a big deal. I, and likely many other people, do not need so much space in the back seat, especially with the tiny trunk and rear doors. Can't fit *sugar* in there to take advantage of all that space even if I wanted to.
is it really shorter than the 3 series or is the "Egg" just a bigger greenhouse?

This is a subtle but very important, impressive change to the nose. Aerodynamically it should work well, and aesthetically harkens back to the nose shape of the original Roadster (minus the grill opening on the Roadster).

EXCELLENT!!

@elonmusk - please consider this!

It does indeed. If you live in a state that requires a front plate then the as-unveiled design doesn't make that much of difference. But if you live one of the numerous states that doesn't demand a front plate then it makes a big difference, IMO.

And why not reap the better aero performance wherever possible?

Jim Anders
https://www.linkedin.com/in/jim-anders-6705a013

aa_tesla.jpg
ashRZB4.jpg

• Love
Reactions: mdevp and J Huq
I also prefer Tesla's existing design. I like the stubbiness, front and back, as is. Looks sharp. Also keeps the car smaller. I don't have a problem with the lack of a grill or mouth and besides, a license plate will fill it. For folks who want something a little longer and drawn out, there's still the Model S. For folks who want a grill or air intakes or exhaust pipes or whatever, there's plenty of cars with those! ;-)

Also, at 6'4", I want the better head and legroom, front and back. Just wish it was a hatch/liftback for more practicality.

It's amazing how those 2 inches seem like a foot on the revision.
I would be lying if I knew it to be exact. It's probably more like 3" in the front. The greenhouse was shrunk all around by 10%-15%.
Model3_adj.jpg

For fun I also did a model Y only raising the top, extending lower and expanding wheel size- keeping hood, headlights and the greenhouse exactly the same. The proportions look alot better in crossover form. It just goes to show that the window profile needs to be smaller than the doors regardless of car to appear sleek.
Modely.jpg

Reactions: mdevp
OK the nose has been done to death and there are some nice options. I agree that the original is OK and distinctive but I'm not sure I want my car to 'frown'.......!

By the way, I believe that the M3 is going to be very close to the BMW 3-series in overall length with a longer wheelbase and not much shorter as some seem to think.

BUT I would really like to see a higher rear deck for numerous reasons:-
More trunk space
Reduced 'balloon'/SUV visuals at the rear roof line (which seems to irk some people)
But mainly, I feel it gives a 'more mature' look and slightly less hatchback-like feel

Please excuse my coffee-table-crayon sketch - I can't do photoshop but maybe someone can oblige?!
M3 raised rear.jpg

Reactions: Justmurr and J Huq