Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, this is what the production Model 3 should look like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen all of these suggestions you guys have made and have had mixed feelings. I think most of us like the original design except for it being maybe a *tad* too much. I think it needs a VERY slight revision to make it much more attractive. I've seen the grilled and rounded versions but they all seem too safe/boring and lack a signature bold look. You don't want it to look like a 90's Miata. I think the "snout" is making a statement about NOT needing a grill for air intake. It's the look of the future. I do think the original design is a little *too* overpowering where your attention is drawn too much to the front of the car, making you ignore the rest. Yes, it does look a little like pouty lips, a duck, or mouthless Keanu. Anyway, this picture is my suggestion and attempt at showing what I mean.

tesla-model-3-snout-orig-vs-mod.jpg

I've seen all of these suggestions you guys have made and have had mixed feelings. I think most of us like the original design except for it being maybe a *tad* too much. I think it needs a VERY slight revision to make it much more attractive. I've seen the grilled and rounded versions but they all seem too safe/boring and lack a signature bold look. You don't want it to look like a 90's Miata. I think the "snout" is making a statement about NOT needing a grill for air intake. It's the look of the future. I do think the original design is a little *too* overpowering where your attention is drawn too much to the front of the car, making you ignore the rest. Yes, it does look a little like pouty lips, a duck, or mouthless Keanu. Anyway, this picture is my suggestion and attempt at showing what I mean.

View attachment 170662
I think maybe bumping the lip down a tad more would be best. Huge improvement, but lining up the lip with the headlight lines seems to be the original design intent. Great job! It's amazing what such a simple, subtle change can do!

See the center sketch here:

CfGOqcaW8AI9zyP.jpg

Why do folks think the style of the nose needs to "grow on you". If it's a compelling design, you should like the looks on first sight. Sure EV diehards have proven they will buy an EV regardless of how ugly it is.
That's not who Tesla needs to sell. They need to attract common folks to a great looking and performing car that happens to be electric.

Because people's brains are conditioned to only accept what are considered "normal". For exapmle it took people a while to get used to the grille-less, nosecone-less design of Model X after the initial shock but it does "grow on you" now. Many S owners now think this is the way it should go for theirs too.

Reactions: forumman83
I personally like the snub-nose on Tesla's pre-production design. It's unique, it's drawing, there obviously isn't a need for a grille so why even pretend one is there? From a dead-on view, that appearance is very aggressive, and I love it. In general, I think it's perfect and Tesla needs to make sure the production wheel options and interior options are in-line more than trying to re-design a bumper that looks nice to begin with.

Reactions: AlexT
Anyway, this picture is my suggestion and attempt at showing what I mean.

View attachment 170662

I have seen all the suggestions and permutations for a revised front end. I have enjoyed seeing them all and the work all you have put into them. But RayLast, I like yours the best! Your design keeps the vernacular, signature Tesla front end while softening the lines to integrate better with the other front end design elements and yet remaining truly unique to the brand (not Porsche, Corvette, Miata inspiration, but unique to Tesla). I also like that your design does not incorporate the Model X "grill".

If Tesla doesn't incorporate a front end design something like this in their production model, then the aftermarket providers will do it. And yes, I am a designer by education and profession.

Very happy with my reservation, wish I had reserved two!

Hey all first time poster. Put a reservation down here in los angeles and like many others,I can accept the design, but it isn't the most well proportioned. I really hope they realize that as nice as the large greenhouse is, cars- even autonomous, will be single occupant lots of the time and that will be at the driver's seat.

I would love if by production we get something closer to this quick edit I did. I also like the front end James Anders did, if that was incorporated into a more extended front hood, not only would we get more trunk but also a better design. I have been a car nut and a visual designer my whole life and I truly believe in Musk. I believe he can be the guy who brings us a no compromise design in looks as much as tech... a car that truly competes against the 3s, Cs and A4s of the world in every way. Numbers dictate he doesn't have to change a thing but I'd love if they surprised us all and early indications suggest he's listening.

The S is so beautifully proportioned, I'd love some of that effort on the 3. This direction also works better for a traditional rear trunk.

Tesla3revis.jpg

Hey all first time poster. Put a reservation down here in los angeles and like many others,I can accept the design, but it isn't the most well proportioned. I really hope they realize that as nice as the large greenhouse is, cars- even autonomous, will be single occupant lots of the time and that will be at the driver's seat.

I would love if by production we get something closer to this quick edit I did. I also like the front end James Anders did, if that was incorporated into a more extended front hood, not only would we get more trunk but also a better design. I have been a car nut and a visual designer my whole life and I truly believe in Musk. I believe he can be the guy who brings us a no compromise design in looks as much as tech... a car that truly competes against the 3s, Cs and A4s of the world in every way. Numbers dictate he doesn't have to change a thing but I'd love if they surprised us all and early indications suggest he's listening.

The S is so beautifully proportioned, I'd love some of that effort on the 3. This direction also works better for a traditional rear trunk.

View attachment 170727
Good stuff. I think the Tesla design team went TOO hard with trying to shorten the car. It's a bit bubbly and far shorter than the likes of a BMW 3 Series. By like over 10 inches. That's great and all for aerodynamics and weight, but man it's a little too short that you can't get the headroom in the back without making it look like an SUV.

People are saying this is a shrunken Model S, but dammit this is a shrunken Model X! Just look at the back end! It has X written all over it! I don't hate it, but I would like a sleeker, more sedan-like design. They emphasized fitting 5 adults comfortably way too much. I will carry people in the backseat maybe once a month. It's not a big deal. I, and likely many other people, do not need so much space in the back seat, especially with the tiny trunk and rear doors. Can't fit *sugar* in there to take advantage of all that space even if I wanted to.

Reactions: J Huq and Justmurr
Good stuff. I think the Tesla design team went TOO hard with trying to shorten the car. It's a bit bubbly and far shorter than the likes of a BMW 3 Series. By like over 10 inches. That's great and all for aerodynamics and weight, but man it's a little too short that you can't get the headroom in the back without making it look like an SUV.

People are saying this is a shrunken Model S, but dammit this is a shrunken Model X! Just look at the back end! It has X written all over it! I don't hate it, but I would like a sleeker, more sedan-like design. They emphasized fitting 5 adults comfortably way too much. I will carry people in the backseat maybe once a month. It's not a big deal. I, and likely many other people, do not need so much space in the back seat, especially with the tiny trunk and rear doors. Can't fit *sugar* in there to take advantage of all that space even if I wanted to.

I completely agree with every point. This looks more like a 3GT competitor than a 3 series. Its pros outweighs the cons enough but it does look too bulbous. I see the X in it as well, with the really high and huge greenhouse-- more round than fluid like the S... which for a luxury SUV works- i guess, who knows. I think there's time and I am very hopeful Elon realizes we still want a good looking car... I think he does too. I believe in the car and company enough to let them borrow my $1,000 but if BMW, Lexus or the like produce something nicer by then it will be a hard sell.

The stats prove just how much the majority of car usage is single person and this is a commuter car for the masses. Foreseeable self driving laws also suggest that this person will stay at the driver seat. Unless this car will be for some additional Taxi service that Tesla is gearing up for (which I am also afraid of, as that would ruin a lot of desire for this car) this isn't necessary.

He did tweet that they'd be looking to change a few things like that front bumper and the rear trunk opening- so there's hope.Tesla is synonymous with being the antithesis of the auto industry. This is Tesla's opportunity to prove that good design doesn't need come at a high cost.

Reactions: eisbock
I completely agree with every point. This looks more like a 3GT competitor than a 3 series. Its pros outweighs the cons enough but it does look too bulbous. I see the X in it as well, with the really high and huge greenhouse-- more round than fluid like the S... which for a luxury SUV works- i guess, who knows. I think there's time and I am very hopeful Elon realizes we still want a good looking car... I think he does too. I believe in the car and company enough to let them borrow my $1,000 but if BMW, Lexus or the like produce something nicer by then it will be a hard sell.

The stats prove just how much the majority of car usage is single person and this is a commuter car for the masses. Foreseeable self driving laws also suggest that this person will stay at the driver seat. Unless this car will be for some additional Taxi service that Tesla is gearing up for (which I am also afraid of, as that would ruin a lot of desire for this car) this isn't necessary.

He did tweet that they'd be looking to change a few things like that front bumper and the rear trunk opening- so there's hope.Tesla is synonymous with being the antithesis of the auto industry. This is Tesla's opportunity to prove that good design doesn't need come at a high cost.
At this point, I'm really quite interested in what the Y is going to look like! I can't see how you can make this any more SUV-like aside from raising the roof a few more inches.

Reactions: J Huq

View attachment 170662

I like this one. The Model 3 has its own look - the front doesn't fit in or look normal, that might be a good thing.