Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, this is what the production Model 3 should look like

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm thinking why we are generally disappointed in the nose is that the design as configured doesn't have an obvious reason to live. It just looks like it is hiding something under there. But as Anders, @rune_hl, and others have shown, the nose can at least become an integrated 3-D sculpture. Please, no grille!

This is what the Model 3 should look like. Actually I saw what appears to be a Model 3 in Hayward, CA., with a very different and very nice front end styling.

Hopefully Tesla will use this pre-production model as the actual final front end.

What do you think? Do you like the Model 3 shown in the attached photo?
DSCN5749.JPG
DSCN5749.JPG

Attachments

• DSCN5750.JPG
    DSCN5750.JPG
    537.5 KB · Views: 73
I have also sent my idea (implemented wonderfully by Mihai) to Elon and others.
I really suspect if you took a poll of random people (not Tesla owners or forum members) I'm pretty confident that the vast majority would not go for the blunt nose version.

I love the idea of dropping the leading edge of the nose down and possibly extending it a tad, too. Porsche has been making grill-less cars since they've been around, and without a grill or other branding shape, there is no longer a functional reason to reserve an empty place for where a grill might once have been.

The evolutionary sequence from the Model S's Fake Grill, the Model X's Minimal Intake, to the Model III's empty looking snoot: certainly makes sense if you follow Tesla's design history. But unfortunately, as versed as I am in their design language-- my brain still says the Model 3's nose as it currently is, LOOKS WRONG.

I hope Elon takes you (and everyone else's) input, while they still have some time to make tweaks to the vehicle before production...

I love the idea of dropping the leading edge of the nose down and possibly extending it a tad, too. Porsche has been making grill-less cars since they've been around, and without a grill or other branding shape, there is no longer a functional reason to reserve an empty place for where a grill might once have been.

The evolutionary sequence from the Model S's Fake Grill, the Model X's Minimal Intake, to the Model III's empty looking snoot: certainly makes sense if you follow Tesla's design history. But unfortunately, as versed as I am in their design language-- my brain still says the Model 3's nose as it currently is, LOOKS WRONG.

I hope Elon takes you (and everyone else's) input, while they still have some time to make tweaks to the vehicle before production...

What I find absolutely fascinating is how that one isolated aspect (the blunt nose) is so out of character with the rest of the car's design language. Why? Brown shoes with Black tux. Very odd.

The blunt nose might have looked just fine on another car with different styling. Say, a short, perky more upright boxy car. But the Model 3 has really nice sweeping curves and the blunt nose is incongruous.

I would have loved to been a fly on the wall during the design reviews when that nose was first implemented.

Reactions: mdevp and voyager
What I find absolutely fascinating is how that one isolated aspect (the blunt nose) is so out of character with the rest of the car's design language. Why? Brown shoes with Black tux. Very odd.

The blunt nose might have looked just fine on another car with different styling. Say, a short, perky more upright boxy car. But the Model 3 has really nice sweeping curves and the blunt nose is incongruous.

I would have loved to been a fly on the wall during the design reviews when that nose was first implemented.
I dunno the current design looks nice to me. Hard to mistake it for anything other than a Tesla. Though the rendering above doesn't look horrible, it does remind me of a RX7.

That's a model X
Your avatar is perfect for this response. Riley says "Uh. wtf?" haha

I still say I hope they don't change the car. OPs render looks good, but I would hope that's the limit of the changes they make. I actually find the idea of slapping a big vinyl sticker of a smiley face on the front amusing. I could see myself doing that.

Reactions: arcanexvi
Disclaimer: I've had my red Model 3 for a month, and it's a terrific vehicle. I think it is the top choice sedan out there for people who can afford it... just as it is made and looks right now. I'm sure some of you love the car, wouldn't want to change a thing about it, and/or would prefer to just enjoy the overall experience of the car than to focus in on an aesthetic detail that some might think could be improved. I suspect there are also some who find it quite unpleasant to even see this topic being raised again. If you fall into any of the above, enjoy your car, and, carry on... I assure you, this post is not about asking Tesla to change a thing about the Model 3.

As for me, it occurred to me tonight, it could be realistic to simply buy an aftermarket bumper cover designed to look like one of the suggested mods to the front end presented in this thread. fwiw, I quite like the front end as is from various angles and lighting, but, for colors other than white and silver, not as much from others. Again, there is no car out there I would take over a Model 3.

I really like the front end look suggested in post #25 by James Anders. That said, I prefer the existing look of the car to the front end as shown in post #125 just above. I don't know if the post #125 photoshop is what the mod in post #25 would look like from such a head on angle... but, it is worth considering that probably without seeing any proposed photoshopping from various angles and in various lighting, it's hard to know if we'd actually prefer it to the current design.

Given that what we see on the exterior of the car is actually a bumper cover, and not the bumper, and listings like this on Ebay claim that an OEM Model 3 front bumper cover can be had for $400... it seems plausible that there could be a market for someone to create a bumper cover with the external look of post #25, or quite similar, that would be able to fit the actual structure of the car. I do realize that optimizing range was likely part of Tesla's design choice, and switching to an aftermarket bumper cover would likely reduce range.

Wondering if anyone else thinks it's worth trying to determine if a mod like the one in post #25,

- would be aesthetically preferable from various angles to a fair amount of us

- could realistically be designed to be placed on the existing bumper structure

- is a product that we might be able to find a supplier like @Tsportline @Abstract Ocean or @UnpluggedP interested in bringing to market. I think it's worth bearing in mind that the Model 3 is a very high volume selling product... already the #5 selling sedan in the US last month, likely to move up some more.

Any thoughts on taking this further?

fwiw, as an alternative, I'm considering exploring with a detailing shop using slightly varying PPF (paint protection film) materials, with strategic placement on the bumper to accentuate the lines I like, and soften the ones I do not. The car generally would use clear PPF, but, perhaps a satin or matte PPF on most of the bumper could lessen the look of a lip outlined mouth in the center area of the bumper which I perceive under some lighting conditions/angles. Perhaps strategic use of some material like ceramic coating that adds shine to vehicles to the lines I want to accentuate could help as well (I'm not planning to ceramic coat the whole car). If anyone has suggestions on this, please PM me or we could start a new thread in the interior/exterior section if there's considerable interest in discussing this.

Last edited: