Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla officially launches Charge On Solar

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Your Starbucks on the way to work…

So, this is super OT of the thread so I apologize in advance for it...

Saying its equivalent to starbucks is probably accurate (coffee snobs usually only do starbucks if nothing better is available, lol). My one "covid splurge" purchase when we were all holed up WFH was a high end, "super automatic" coffee maker by a company called JURA that is basically a home barista. It even makes cold brew in about 3-4 minutes, that actually tastes like cold brew, and not "hot coffee brewed over ice".

My wife and I use it daily (but it is almost embarrassingly expensive, lol).

So that thread doesnt turn into "coffee chat" if anyone wants more info they can PM me.

Reactions: power.saver
w00t... I got the "charge with solar" to work with a non-Tesla!

I took a page from @h2ofun 's playbook and just plugged an EQS into the Tesla wall connector. Turns out Mercedes doesn't even have a way to let you choose to delay charging haha. RIP my TOU bill if someone plugs the car in at 6pm.

1690233945371.png

Reactions: jboy210 and h2ofun
I have an Enphase solar sytem, and no power wall.
But I am wondering: with net metering, why would I even want something like this new feature? Are there still electric companies out there that don't offer net metering of any kind? Or am I missing something?
It’s rare but there are smaller public utilities in CA that pay back any excess solar fed back to the grid at wholesale market rates. That means when power prices are negative or pennies then you get paid a whopping $0 per kWh. This can happen during cool spring months when the Powerwalls fill up and you feed excess solar back into the grid since there’s nowhere for it to go. That’s my situation and the perfect use case for this.

• Informative
Reactions: Redhill_qik
Exceeds what? Excess or just amount produced? IMO, when its charging my house and PW's, I have no excess. I only have excess when my PW's are charged imo
You can find a link to Teslas explanations on this in post #2 in this thread, which includes both the link to teslas online explanations and a copy / paste of some of them into this thread.

So powerwalls get charged first. I Don’t like this, this doesn’t work when off grid. So when off grid, powerwall charge to 100% and frequency goes to 62hz and solar stops and car never charges.
Useless, useless, useless!

I want user selectable priority. More important for car to charge first.

Pisses me off, I turned charge on solar off.

Last edited:
I’m probably going to loose 1:1 net metering and will be hit with a delivery charge for every kWh I buy back.
I would like to see priority for how solar is used; home loads, vehicle, and Powerwall with remainder going to grid. So in the UI I would like to see boxes I can move up and down to set priority.
I need to use as much of my solar locally minimizing my dependence on the grid, regardless of my what my “backup reserve” is set at.

So powerwalls get charged first. I Don’t like this, this doesn’t work when off grid. So when off grid, powerwall charge to 100% and frequency goes to 62hz and solar stops and car never charges.
Useless, useless, useless!

I want user selectable priority. More important for car to charge first.

Pisses me off, I turned charge on solar off.

I thought when the house was off grid, the Tesla system would just go back to the previous “solar charging” mode? Are you saying it’s not possible to charge an EV when off grid at all?

1690551819477.png

It’s rare but there are smaller public utilities in CA that pay back any excess solar fed back to the grid at wholesale market rates. That means when power prices are negative or pennies then you get paid a whopping $0 per kWh. This can happen during cool spring months when the Powerwalls fill up and you feed excess solar back into the grid since there’s nowhere for it to go. That’s my situation and the perfect use case for this.
Here in the non-ERCOT part of Texas, we have a choice of excess energy sent to grid being paid at $0.00 , or for consumer to pay $20 per month to Xcel Energy and be paid $0.017 per kilowatt hour. This is the most insane rate schedule in the USA.

Thus this feature would be perfect for me, I can charge my cars off of my excess to minimize grid use and minimize giving Xcel Energy any free electricity.

Reactions: 1100MCM
There really needs to be an "Excess Solar" setting that only charges the car after the PW batteries are full. My definition of "Excess Solar" is energy that would otherwise be exported to the grid, if not for the feature redirecting it to the car.
Agreed, and that's how ChargeHQ does it, letting you select battery or vehicle priority. Kind of silly Tesla took this approach, hopefully they fix it in a future update by adding a priority option. I have no use for it the way it works now.