Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to install Superchargers at "all" Fred Meyers store locations?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ecarfan

I searched and didn't find a thread about this topic, though individual Supercharger location threads have noted that the chargers are located at at Fred Meyer store. This article Charge it: Tesla stations come to Klamath quotes a Fred Meyers "store manager" as saying:
-------------
“They’re [Superchargers] being installed at Fred Meyer stores all over, it just happened to be our turn,” said Bill Patterson, Klamath Falls Fred Meyer store manager. “It’s something our corporate offices decided to do. It’s exciting, something new. This is an in-between that allows owners to get to a lot of places. Eventually all Fred Meyer stores will have them.”
---------------

I am not very familiar with the Fred Meyers company, but using their store locator function at Fred Meyer it appears they have hundreds of locations all over the US. On their website it states "The Kroger Co. operates nearly 2,000 retail Pharmacies in 31 states".

I am not going to take the above statement by a store manager at face value and assume that someday there will be a Tesla Supercharger at every Fred Meyer location. But it does appear possible that the company has made a decision at the corporate level to allow a Supercharger to be installed at any Fred Meyer store that it deems to be a suitable location.

That is big news.

Fred Meyers has been very EV friendly. Almost all their metro area stores have some sort of EV charging available (Blink or AV Networks in the northwest). So it make sense they would support Tesla. The Tri Cities, Sandy and Bend Superchargers are located at Fred Meyers as well. I doubt they would put a Supercharger at every location (particularly the ones in metro areas). But Fred Meyers is just as common as Walmart for rural Oregon/Washington, so they make for great locations.

Almost all Fred Meyers have a Starbucks or Pete's coffee and free WiFi. So they make for good pit stops and places to kill time while the car charges.

My first thought was that this was a confusion between HPWC (Destination Chargers) and the Superchargers as well. supercharge.info shows this as being in permit stage and links to the discussion here

Supercharger - Klamath Falls, OR

The description on the building permit does reference Supercharger gear and Black & Veatch is involved, so this is a supercharger, not a lowly HPWC. As was mentioned in other threads, a partnership like this is likely what is required for Tesla to reach the stated goal of doubling the number of Supercharger sites in the US over the course of 2017.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
I think that there may be confusion between an HPWC charger and a supercharger. I doubt tesla or the stores would install so many superchargers.
I agree. But so far Tesla has installed two Superchargers at a Fred Meyers: in Kennewick WA and now in Klamath Falls OR. I have not seen any posts about an HPWC at a Fred Meyers location. Maybe there are some but I am not aware of them.

• Informative
Fred Meyer (owned by Kroger) seems to be a second major grocery store chain doing a semi-partnership for siting Superchargers. The chain called Meijer (coincidentally pronounced the same) in the Ohio and Michigan area is the site for I think about 4 or 5 Superchargers. I don't know that it will get to "every" Fred Meyer location. That's probably just overexcitement talking. We have a couple of Fred Meyer stores here in Boise, but the Supercharger is elsewhere, at a hotel. Since it's an 8 stall one that is empty most of the time, I think we're still a decade away from needing expansion in this city.

• Informative
I searched and didn't find a thread about this topic, though individual Supercharger location threads have noted that the chargers are located at at Fred Meyer store. This article Charge it: Tesla stations come to Klamath quotes a Fred Meyers "store manager" as saying:
-------------
“They’re [Superchargers] being installed at Fred Meyer stores all over, it just happened to be our turn,” said Bill Patterson, Klamath Falls Fred Meyer store manager. “It’s something our corporate offices decided to do. It’s exciting, something new. This is an in-between that allows owners to get to a lot of places. Eventually all Fred Meyer stores will have them.”
---------------

I am not very familiar with the Fred Meyers company, but using their store locator function at Fred Meyer it appears they have hundreds of locations all over the US. On their website it states "The Kroger Co. operates nearly 2,000 retail Pharmacies in 31 states".

I am not going to take the above statement by a store manager at face value and assume that someday there will be a Tesla Supercharger at every Fred Meyer location. But it does appear possible that the company has made a decision at the corporate level to allow a Supercharger to be installed at any Fred Meyer store that it deems to be a suitable location.

That is big news.
They certainly will NOT be putting SC's at all Fred Meyer locations. If they put some at two locations, it was because of convenience as there was probably no other alternative.
They have learned their lesson and will NOT be putting them in supermarket locations, as a general rule.
They might but HPWC at the stores but not SC's!

• Disagree
Reactions: callmesam
Yeah, I would love Superchargers at all Fred Meyer's, but I doubt it is going to happen. There are 2 Freddie's locations within a mile of my house, if you open that up to 5 miles it probably goes up to about 10 locations. Maybe they could put a single Supercharger stack for 2 stalls at each location, but even that would be pushing it. (Though it would allow for a lot of redundancy.)

Kroger corporate is the deal that would be needed to really make waves nationwide, as it would include Fred Meyer, Kroger, and Smith's grocery locations (there may be others).
Many others. From Wikipedia:

Combination food and drug stores
  • Baker's Supermarkets (Omaha, Nebraska)
  • City Market (Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, New Mexico)
  • Dillons Food Stores (Kansas, Missouri)
  • Fry's Food & Drug (Arizona)
  • Gerbes Super Markets (Central Missouri)
  • Harris Teeter (North Carolina, South Carolina, Virginia, Georgia, Florida, Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia)
  • Jay C (Southern Indiana)
  • King Soopers (Colorado, Wyoming)
  • Kroger (Alabama, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Virginia, West Virginia)
  • Lily's (Middle Georgia)
  • Owen's (Northeastern Indiana)
  • Pay Less Super Markets (Central Indiana)
  • QFC (Oregon, Washington State)
  • Ralphs (Southern California)
  • Roundy's (Pick 'n Save, Mariano's Fresh Market, Metro Market, Copps) (Wisconsin, Illinois)
  • Scott's (Fort Wayne, Indiana)
  • Smith's (Arizona, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Utah, Wyoming)
Multi-department stores
Price impact stores
Marketplace stores
Jewelry stores
  • Fred Meyer Jewelers (Ohio, Oregon, Kentucky, Texas and various others)
  • Barclay Jewelers
  • Fox's Jewelers
  • Littman Jewelers
Convenience stores
Convenient care clinic
  • The Little Clinic (Ohio, Kentucky, Tennessee, Georgia, Indiana, Arizona, Mississippi, Colorado, Kansas, Virginia)
Former chains
  • Barney's Food Warehouse (Ohio) Warehouse stores, closed by Kroger in the 1980s.
  • Cala Foods and Bell Markets (Northern California) Locations sold to DeLano's IGA, last Kroger-owned location closed in 2011.
  • Childs (Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana) Acquired July 1955, name phased out in 1966.
  • Henke's (Texas) Acquired May 1955, name phased out in 1966
  • Hilander Foods (Illinois) Acquired 1998, sold to Schnucks in 2011.
  • Kessel Food Markets (Michigan) Acquired and name phased out in 1999.
  • Krambo (Wisconsin) Acquired June 1955, name phased out in 1966. Withdrew from Wisconsin in 1971.
  • Market Basket (Southern California) Acquired October 1963, sold in 1982.
  • Quik Stop (California, Nevada) Transitioned to Loaf 'N Jug brand.
I had no idea the Kroger empire was that large (jewelry stores?). The Kroger store chain in my area of western Colorado and eastern Utah is City Market.