Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Produce Pickup After Model Y Rollout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla CEO Elon Musk confirmed that a pickup truck will be the the company’s next product following the Model Y crossover. In fact, he says he’s “dying to build it.”

Production of the Model Y is slated for 2019. The vehicle is expected to share architecture with the Model 3, which is expected to help bring the vehicle to market faster.

Musk has previously hinted that a Tesla pickup will be a miniature version of the semi truck the company debuted earlier this year. During the Semi unveiling, Musk showed a sketch of a “pickup truck that can carry a pickup truck.”

pickupinpickup.jpg
“By the way, you will actually be able to drive that with a normal driver’s license,” he said at the event. “It’s kind of wrong, but I like it.”

In a tweet Tuesday, Musk said he’s been thinking about the core design and engineering for a pickup for five years.

“I promise that we will make a pickup truck right after Model Y,” he wrote. “Have had the core design/engineering elements in my mind for almost 5 years. Am dying to build it.”

Further, he said the pickup will be similar in size to a Ford F-150 or slightly larger due to a “gamechanging” feature.

Last edited by a moderator:
To play Devil's Advocate, as the roadster was the initial offering to gain interest that has now filtered down to the mid range model 3 at 46k and eventually to the 35K car. Why not start with a high price truck just to gauge interest? Then maybe filter down to lower priced variants/versions. Especially since GM just said they wouldn't make an electric truck for decades.
gauge interest? If you build it, they will come. In the time it took me to post this reply, 5 pickups were sold.

Probably 1% of their truck sales are the F450.
true, but these options are available in 250, 350 and 450 with small pricing delta between each model. All over $80K

Ford is officially expanding the Limited trim found on the F-150 to the Super Duty series and the pricing structure is as follows:

• F-250 Super Duty Limited 4x4 $80,835
  • F-350 Super Duty Limited 4x4 $82,010
  • F-450 Super Duty Limited 4x4 $87,100

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash and EinSV
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: SpaceCash
In the Ford pickup world, the 150-450 share the same cab so they all have the same width. this also means, for the most part all of the trucks are the same dimensions from the 150 you have a 5.5 or 6.75ft bed. The f150 regular cab can have 6.75 or 8ft bed.
On the 250+ you have a 6.75 or 8ft bed regardless of cab configuration and the duallys have 8ft only now. Ford used to make a short bed dually until 2010.

Ford also doesn't require a weight distribution hitch on the 2017 250+ because engineering magic with how the receiver is built directly into the frame.

They will have to build all new superchargers, There's not one I've been to in all the south that you can park a truck/trailer at.

Truck people don't want stupid fancy things. The new Fords have a push button tailgate release that literally no one wants and it's causing nothing but trouble with the tailgates randomly coming open on their own, while towing trailers. I also laughed at a comment earlier in the thread about retracting steps are stupid when that's standard on some trim levels now and one of the most selected options on other trims. Things like inverters and compressors are cool for the W/T package but people don't want to deal with that crap in a DD, and that's one of the problems with Tesla. In a normal truck market some people want options that don't come on their trim level truck and it's as simple as ordering the part and installing it (telescoping mirrors, retracting steps, dual alts, etc.) but with the tesla service model you can't buy things for your vehicle, only what tesla deems is acceptable. Trucks are the most modded vehicles aftermarket and if people can't do what they've always done with their trucks they wont buy it.

Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Truck people don't want stupid fancy things.
The new Fords have a push button tailgate release that literally no one wants and it's causing nothing but trouble with the tailgates randomly coming open on their own, while towing trailers. I also laughed at a comment earlier in the thread about retracting steps are stupid when that's standard on some trim levels now and one of the most selected options on other trims. Things like inverters and compressors are cool for the W/T package but people don't want to deal with that crap in a DD, and that's one of the problems with Tesla. In a normal truck market some people want options that don't come on their trim level truck and it's as simple as ordering the part and installing it (telescoping mirrors, retracting steps, dual alts, etc.) but with the tesla service model you can't buy things for your vehicle, only what tesla deems is acceptable. Trucks are the most modded vehicles aftermarket and if people can't do what they've always done with their trucks they wont buy it.
I guess those drivers still use flip-phones and film cameras!

s-l640.jpg

41R5K1VKCSL.jpg

Last edited:
In the Ford pickup world, the 150-450 share the same cab so they all have the same width. this also means, for the most part all of the trucks are the same dimensions from the 150 you have a 5.5 or 6.75ft bed. The f150 regular cab can have 6.75 or 8ft bed.
On the 250+ you have a 6.75 or 8ft bed regardless of cab configuration and the duallys have 8ft only now. Ford used to make a short bed dually until 2010.

Ford also doesn't require a weight distribution hitch on the 2017 250+ because engineering magic with how the receiver is built directly into the frame.

They will have to build all new superchargers, There's not one I've been to in all the south that you can park a truck/trailer at.

Truck people don't want stupid fancy things. The new Fords have a push button tailgate release that literally no one wants and it's causing nothing but trouble with the tailgates randomly coming open on their own, while towing trailers. I also laughed at a comment earlier in the thread about retracting steps are stupid when that's standard on some trim levels now and one of the most selected options on other trims. Things like inverters and compressors are cool for the W/T package but people don't want to deal with that crap in a DD, and that's one of the problems with Tesla. In a normal truck market some people want options that don't come on their trim level truck and it's as simple as ordering the part and installing it (telescoping mirrors, retracting steps, dual alts, etc.) but with the tesla service model you can't buy things for your vehicle, only what tesla deems is acceptable. Trucks are the most modded vehicles aftermarket and if people can't do what they've always done with their trucks they wont buy it.
I didn't get into this truck because of the tech but Ive come to love it. specially the voice control for nav and phone.

i actually do like the push button tailgate release and use it when my hands are full.
As for the step, the only time I take that out is to wash all the mulch or dirt that seeped into it. :( I could do without the side steps too.
Every truck should have a rhino lining in the back, it's shocking that so many do not have that.

Priority for the semi getting shoved to the bottom isn't good for Tesla. They're dealing with multiple billion dollar companies that will want their money back with interest if Tesla don't come through. At the very least those companies will pull their deposits and Tesla will have to *sugar* millions of dollars to do it. Thats one of the issues with Teslas reservation model, they get a crap ton of money up front as an interest free loan but they have to deliver. Can you imagine what will happen with roadster owners get pushed to the bottom and 2020 turns into 2025? The founder series alone was $250 million in reservations. If they don't hold up their end of the bargain, customers will simply go elsewhere in the coming years.

Priority for the semi getting shoved to the bottom isn't good for Tesla. They're dealing with multiple billion dollar companies that will want their money back with interest if Tesla don't come through. At the very least those companies will pull their deposits and Tesla will have to *sugar* millions of dollars to do it. Thats one of the issues with Teslas reservation model, they get a crap ton of money up front as an interest free loan but they have to deliver. Can you imagine what will happen with roadster owners get pushed to the bottom and 2020 turns into 2025? The founder series alone was $250 million in reservations. If they don't hold up their end of the bargain, customers will simply go elsewhere in the coming years.
The list is in order of resource priority, not volume production date.
In order of resource priority, but not necessarily production ramp, as that depends on thousands of parts & processes, which are extremely difficult to forecast
What really matters is time to volume production, not initial market intro. Apart from brief moments, Tesla vehicle production is limited by total battery output.

Founder's series Roadster could be, at most, $250 million if all 1,000 slots were taken. Tesla is still taking full Founder's deposits, so it is most likely less than that.

A loss of deposits spread over years in a non-factor. Tesla's cash position is so much greater than their deposit line item, they would be fine even if all deposits for everything went away right now, $3.5 billion vs $0.9 Billion. Their cash position last quarter increased $0.7 Billion, nearly the equivalent of the total deposit line item.

Semi is a no-brainer to company bottom lines, they would wait for it unless someone else provides competition. They are also free to get their deposits back at any time and lose their spot in line along with the time value of getting the semi sooner.

Reactions: skitown
The semis are only good for local routes or point to point anyway. There's no way they are building out the mega charger infrastructure any time soon. And this route and point system is exactly what the other players like cummins and Damiler are proposing right now. Tesla is the only one suggesting OTR at this point.

I believe Tesla plans for 25%-30% margins on vehicles. 2018 Q3 margin (gross profits) = 23%
see page 34 Note 15 http://ir.tesla.com/index.php/static-files/c8fa9d0d-827a-47ba-950a-b19e1fe21662

Model S......75D $76,000 x 23% = $17,480
Model S ...100D
Model S P100D
Model X ....75D $84,000 x 23% = $19,320
Model X...100D
Model X P100D
Model 3 .....P3D $62,000 x 23% = $14,260

Part of the reason Ford is valued less than Tesla.
see earlier post claimed Ford making $13,333/F-150 (2015 article)
And Ford is dropping cars and moving to SUV/Trucks for more profits.

interesting times

side note: SEMI and more specifically the commercial truck market is full of custom designed vehicles - even coach builders who buy "gliders" (UPS & Fed X are fine examples) So Tesla main mission to accelerate electrification means inspiring other makers. Which is just to say the SEMI should be enough to inspire all the other truck makers.
And it is actually good news seeing DAP, Volvo, Daimler and others beat Tesla to market. So did GM EV1 and the Chevy Bolt. Tesla just does it better - products; buying experience?; charger network

And I think Audi e-tron documentary really shows Audi weaknesses. Will any buyers actually be inspired by that documentary video? see:
Audi e-tron Documentary: development & production

side note: SEMI and more specifically the commercial truck market is full of custom designed vehicles - even coach builders who buy "gliders" (UPS & Fed X are fine examples) ...

That's not what a glider is, glider is a fully furnished vehicle missing the engine and trans, hence it glides under no power. UPS/FEDEX buy chassis or stripped chassis, a frame, engine and transmission then they put the custom body on.