Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla To Recall 3,878 Cybertrucks Over Faulty Accelerator Pedal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
Reactions: scottf200

Tesla to recall 3,878 Cybertrucks over faulty accelerator pedal​

Is this every Cybertruck made so far?

"Unlike many Tesla recalls, this one cannot be fixed with a simple over-the-air software update. Tesla will have to have owners respond to letters and bring the Cybertrucks into its service centers for a repair at no charge."
my guess is yes. also speaks volumes on production rate 4 1/2 months after the delivery event...

Is this every Cybertruck made so far?
Yes, all of them made through April 4th:

1713550444267.png

Here is the actual recall with all of the information: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2024/RCLRPT-24V276-7026.PDF

Again, you are spreading false information. A Tesla supplier was using soap to make their life easier, but it was not a procedure/process approved by Tesla. And will likely result in that supplier paying for all of the costs to remediate the issue. (i.e. The cost of replacement pedal assemblies as well as the time for Tesla techs to install them.)

Does any picture of the defective accelerator pedal have been published?

The following description is quite interesting. I wounder who made the decission to use soap?

Description of the Cause : An unapproved change introduced lubricant (soap) to aid in the componentassembly
of the pad onto the accelerator pedal. Residual lubricant reduced theretention of the pad to the pedal.
However, the most important was that when applying the brake, the vehicle was going to a stop:
- On April 2, 2024, Tesla Engineering reviewed the vehicle’s data logs, which confirmed that
both brake andaccelerator pedals were pressed and the vehicle behaved as intended,
meaning the brake pedal cut drivetorque and brought the vehicle to a stop.

unfortunately, there's almost no products that are made by only one supplier, aka Tesla in this case
every business depends on other suppliers but final product is what gets in trouble, just the way it is
i see it at my workplace all the time
don't blame tesla, they're just end user in this case...

• Funny
Reactions: Zedbox
Don't see any soap on mine, nor can I make it budge. Really tried hard. Then I let a friend of mine go at the pedal to see if anything is wrong. Nada.
Maybe something has changed along the way.

Some are holding on to the wheel covers. I am going sans rivet on mine. JK. I am going to take it in. Slight wind noise on left passenger. Other than that all good for now. 8k in miles.

• Love
Reactions: mongo and scottf200
  • Informative
Reactions: zoomer0056
unfortunately, there's almost no products that are made by only one supplier, aka Tesla in this case
every business depends on other suppliers but final product is what gets in trouble, just the way it is
i see it at my workplace all the time
don't blame tesla, they're just end user in this case...
Very true, but a lot of people believe Tesla is different because they make the parts themselves. In reality they design the parts, and have suppliers build them because thats they only way to make economic sense! They use similar processes to everyone else (no surprise) but what they choose the spend on and how much is where the difference is.

In many situations the issue is the designer (Tesla) does not really specify a lot of the details on things like if the cover can be applied using soap and they leave it up to the supplier. In this case the FMEA should have indicated there needed to be some kind of an adhesive or locking mechanism to hold the cover in place.

Tesla has much more of a FAFO attitude where legacy auto makers have been burned by these things before so they have a bigger focus on safety in design.

I always hammer on the design engineers to specify as much as possible in the design requirements and not trust that something should be common sense or the supplier should know better. If you ask them to make it as cheap as possible and what they make meets spec, they did what you asked!