Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Start Producing 10-30 and 6-50 Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thank you. Just an hour ago I was wondering about whether I should use my 14-30 to charge and it reminded me that I haven't heard a peep from Tesla about it. Hopefully I get the notice in the mail this week.

Well, guess what was at my door when getting home today! The letter is dated Jan 14th. Only the 14-30 came, so it probably will be a couple weeks before getting the 10-30. Either way, I'm glad they are shipping!
IMG_4968.JPG

Reactions: MIT_S60
Are you in trouble because you bought so many adapters and now they don't know who to contact to replace them?
Again, I'm not sure. My gut feeling is that they would rather I had not done it, which I'm inclined to agree with at the moment. My letter definitely mentioned that I was singled out as someone who had sold adapters and that I should contact serviceNA, which I have and we all know how those various communications went with different people getting different answers. The final answer that I received was that owners would be dealt with directly and I needn't be involved. I need to re-read it because there was a part about sending in adapters plural, but I happen to personally own all three of the affected ones. I'll dig more tomorrow.

I'm curious as to why the 14-50 isn't being recalled. As I detailed in a previous thread, my 14-50 had the same issue. My SC replaced it free of charge when I showed it to them... but I find it hard to believe that only my 14-50 was affected (and it had a grey cap, not a black one). But it basically exhibited the same issue as the 14-30's that had trouble.

Fortunately, I noticed it before there was any real trouble with it, though.

Again, I'm not sure. My gut feeling is that they would rather I had not done it, which I'm inclined to agree with at the moment.

(I wrote three different editorial comments to put here, but decided not to post any of them and just say...) Once again, thank you for dealing with all this.

My letter definitely mentioned that I was singled out as someone who had sold adapters and that I should contact serviceNA, which I have and we all know how those various communications went with different people getting different answers. The final answer that I received was that owners would be dealt with directly and I needn't be involved. I need to re-read it because there was a part about sending in adapters plural, but I happen to personally own all three of the affected ones. I'll dig more tomorrow.

Please keep us posted. I'm pretty sure that all of us whom you helped would like to minimize any additional headaches incurred on your part, so just let us know what if anything we can do.

Bruce.

I'm curious as to why the 14-50 isn't being recalled. As I detailed in a previous thread, my 14-50 had the same issue. My SC replaced it free of charge when I showed it to them... but I find it hard to believe that only my 14-50 was affected (and it had a grey cap, not a black one). But it basically exhibited the same issue as the 14-30's that had trouble.

The current 14-50 is already redesigned to the new version on the right that doesn't have the common components that failed in the adapters on the left in the picture below. I believe early on 14-50s that were made by the supplier who made the ones of the left were also recalled but I'm not 100%.

101824300c.jpg

A note that the heat deformation can also be caused by issues with the wall receptacle itself. If has high resistance (dirty) contacts, and/or the conductor connections to it are loose, the heat it generates can travel through the blades to the pins...

A note that the heat deformation can also be caused by issues with the wall receptacle itself. If has high resistance (dirty) contacts, and/or the conductor connections to it are loose, the heat it generates can travel through the blades to the pins...

I ended up replacing that receptacle with a HPWC, so if that was the case, it should be fixed. I checked my wifes Tesla and the UMC connection and it was fine, though... and she uses it way more than I do (I charge at public stations 95% of the time), so I'm not sure what to think. I'll just continue to monitor hers routinely.

I just got new 10-30 in the mail replacing an old one. And I also picked up a 6-50 adopter on the Tesla website to replace the kludgy EVSE thing I was using. Glad they are expanding adopters.

One problem though is that some old wiring uses the 6-50 outlet, but only wired for 30 amps and with a 30 amp fuse. be careful and keep the amps down to ~24 if you are charging overnight and not in a hurry unless you are sure it is safe.