Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla to Start Producing 10-30 and 6-50 Again

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How would Tesla know who regularly uses the 14-30 adapter vs. those of us who bought one but rarely if ever use it? Will it search the charging logs of all the cars to see which ones commonly charge at 24A?

And can the logs tell the difference between a 14-30 and a 10-30 adapter?

My guess is that they are just going on purchase history, which is going to be a problem. (I guess @supratachophobia is going to get a lot of replacement 14-30s.)

That's not what the web page says. Tesla says they'll replace the frequently used 14-30s first, then the less frequently used 14-30s

But I don't think there is any way for them to have that information. @supratachophobia probably bought more than 30) 14-30 adapters and he may use one frequently. How would Tesla know if he just uses one, or if he uses different ones?

I have a 14-30 and 10-30, neither of which Tesla would sell me, so they don't know I have the adapters, and I can't imagine they know which adapter I am using. (10-30 or 14-30) (Since my understanding is the resistor identifying current capability was the same between adapters.)

And they say we can't trade them in at a service center... Will they just ship me replacements on my word that I have them?

Here is the email

Because safety is our top priority at Tesla, we want to inform you of an action we’re voluntarily taking to recall a small number of charging adapters.
This recall does not involve the Tesla Wall Connector, Universal Mobile Connector, or the NEMA 14‑50 or 5‑15 adapters that came standard with your Tesla and that most of our customers use for charging. It only involves NEMA 14‑30, 10‑30, and 6‑50 adapters, which are sold separately as accessories and which are used by relatively few of our customers.
In November 2016, we learned about two customers whose NEMA 14‑30 charging adapters overheated. These are the only two such incidents that we know of anywhere in the world and neither resulted in any injuries or property damage. However, out of an abundance of caution, we’re replacing NEMA 14‑30, 10‑30 and 6‑50 adapters that were made years ago by our original supplier.
If you have one of these NEMA 14‑30 adapters and regularly use it, you will receive a replacement from us within the next couple of weeks. Until then, we ask that you stop using your current adapter, and that you instead charge your car in a different way, such as with a Tesla Wall Connector or NEMA 14‑50 adapter (if you have one), or by Supercharging.
Although there have been no incidents with NEMA 10‑30 or 6‑50 adapters, they have some common elements with the NEMA 14‑30, so we will be replacing those as well. These replacements will take about three months to develop and manufacture. In the meantime, since none of these adapters has ever overheated, you can continue to use them if you do not have another way to charge your car.
For more information, including pictures of the relevant adapters, FAQs, and other details related to this recall, please visit the Recall Information page. If you need additional assistance, you can also contact us by phone at 877‑798‑3752 or by email at [email protected].
Thank you for being a Tesla owner. We apologize for this inconvenience.

Tesla | 3500 Deer Creek Road | Palo Alto, CA 94304
Privacy Policy |

Do we have any confirmation they will sell some of these "rare" adapters again, or are they only producing enough to cover the recall ones?

There's a clue in the following paragraph from the Tesla announcement:

May I exchange my adapter at a store or service center?
Replacement adapters will be mailed to your home. We will not carry replacement adapters in our stores and service centers until after the recall is complete.

I bought a 10-30 at delivery and haven't received a letter. Still waiting for DS to call me back for a 14-30. I'll bring it up on Thursday when I bring my car in on an unrelated matter. Was able to get an appointment on two days notice and they will provide a loaner even though it's highly likely an Enterprise ICE.

I bought a 10-30 at delivery and haven't received a letter.
I'm the opposite - I bought the 10-30 and 14-30 long before ordering the car, just in case (don't I look smart!). I received the announcement email yesterday.

It'll be interesting to see if/when I receive the new 14-30, since I've never charged a car with it/have no car tied to my Tesla account (yet). I hope the do re-release the 6-50; that's the only one I don't have (and I could use it at a friend's house when I visit)

<Charlton Heston impression>"I'll give you my 14-30 when you pry it from my cold, dead hands!"</Charlton Heston impression>

• Funny
Reactions: supratachophobia
Oh, damn.....

Here is the email I got back from Tesla:

Hello,

Since you did not purchase the adapters directly you would need to work with the individual that you purchased them from. The adapter will be sent to the customer on file that originally purchased the adapters.

That certainly isn't how you handle a safety recall. I've never heard of a recall being handled that way.

@supratachophobia Can you reach out to the contacts you have and see if you can encourage them to handle this a little better?

Last edited:
Here is the email I got back from Tesla:

That certainly isn't how you handle a safety recall. I've never heard of a recall being handled that way.

@supratachophobia Can you reach out to the contacts you have and see if you can encourage them to handle this a little better?

Repost: If they want to make it difficult, that's up to them. It's real easy to look at the adapter you have, figure out the manufacture date to see if it's affected, and communicate that information to Tesla. But if I have to spend $500 out of pocket to make sure people's houses don't burn down, fine.

Not sure if they feel like they need to treat (punish?) me/you as a reseller/vendor. I purchased all the adapters with sales tax included, and as I communicated to each of you individually, there was no markup. I was simply facilitating what seemed like a lack of communication between service centers and/or their inability to navigate their own inventory system for the benefit of the customer. Any extra money you included, and most of your did, was a donation that was spent on treating our local service center to lunch, twice, as a thank you for all their hard work.

When my frustration level begins to drop (this specific situation among other things), I'll start reaching out to Tesla to figure out how they want to play this.

When my frustration level begins to drop (this among other things), I'll start reaching out to Tesla to figure out how they want to play this.

Thanks for all of your help with getting us the adapters and following up with Tesla. I really appreciate it!

I replied to the support person asking them to escalate the issue, so hopefully they will see the light and figure out a better way to handle the recall.