Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
BBC spilling the beans on PHEV's Plug-in hybrids are a 'wolf in sheep's clothing'

Carbon dioxide emissions from plug-in hybrid cars are as much as two-and-a-half times higher than official tests suggest, according to new research.

Plug-in hybrid vehicles are powered by an electric motor using a battery that is recharged by being plugged in or via an on-board petrol or diesel engine.

They account for 3% of new car sales.

But analysis from pressure groups Transport and Environment and Greenpeace suggest they emit an average of 120g of CO2 per km.

That compares with the 44g per km in official "lab" tests

Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) are sold as a low-carbon alternative to traditional vehicles and conventional hybrids - which cannot be recharged from an external source - and are proving increasingly popular.

The new research is published as the government considers whether to bring forward a proposed ban on the sale of new petrol, diesel and conventional hybrid cars from 2035 to 2030.
That's gasly!

My amateur understanding of one difference between pouch and larger cylinders is that because the cylinders are tightly wound, they can't expand, whereas the layers in the pouch cells, being flat, allow the electrodes to swell as they are charged and discharged. The fires in the Boeing 787 battery packs were traced to this effect, but I don't recall what they did to actually fix them.

I always assumed the swelling was due to larger pouches, 1000x cylinders vs. 10 pouches.. (Don't hold me to those numbers, just aprox.)
Smaller cylindrical cell just don't have that much material which can swell

I know it's a dense question, but why are many here so convinced there's a lot of MM mediated price manipulation? Is the SP really so grossly undervalued right now on the basis of what relatively less committed investors would be willing to pay (i.e. the marginal buyer in the market)? I imagine market making TSLA is pretty difficult given its organic volatility, immense FOMO, a large number of very committed investors, and fickle speculators. So prices can change very quickly.

Also, regarding maximum pain, I don't see why an MM who is very short let's say calls struck at $450 has any incentive to drive the share price down by further shorting. Doing so implies selling short shares at a price lower than $450; I think it would be strictly better to have the calls exercised on you, no?

My amateur understanding of one difference between pouch and larger cylinders is that because the cylinders are tightly wound, they can't expand, whereas the layers in the pouch cells, being flat, allow the electrodes to swell as they are charged and discharged. The fires in the Boeing 787 battery packs were traced to this effect, but I don't recall what they did to actually fix them.

So, you're saying that it's possible for the cylinders to get so large there are only a few of them?

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 1.27.26 PM.png

https://twitter.com/i/status/1297044946394865664

It will be interesting to see if the new heatpump / octovalve update, which may already be shipping, will improve performance endurance? If you all would order a new Performance Model 3 and get back to us all here. As a disinterested stockholder, it would be greatly appreciated. If it is still not good enough, maybe you can buy a backup to swap cars to keep racing all day.

Waiting to see updates from Tuesday before I decide on a Performance 3 or a Plaid S. ;-) So maybe I can report back soon...

Daily Roundup Preview: 16 September
Posts from 15 Sep 08:37 GMT to 16 Sep 20:31 GMT
Votes as of 16 Sep 20:32 GMT

Go here to see today's full Roundtable Roundup!

Top 10 Total Positive Votes

Author /
Votes /
Time (GMT)
Content Preview
Krugerrand
84 | Link ➤

15 Sep 23:07
@Words of HABIT I just got off a video chat with Mom. Strangely enough out-of-the-blue she asked (I did not mention it) how the SP was doing. We haven’t spoken about it since she called $2,500. I told her it was currently $480 post split. She nodded and blithely said it’s going to $900 and then $100...
Johann Koeber
59 | Link ➤

16 Sep 16:42
Just another data point:

I ordered another M3 SR+ here in Germany yesterday. The order page says delivery in 5-10 weeks. Long time for me.

As in the other quarters, I then called Tesla and asked to match me a car already on its way. The surprising result: all cars in transit are spoken for. No SR...
Krugerrand
50 | Link ➤

15 Sep 12:24
A few thoughts:

1) I just finished watching the movie Paycheck, which caused me to reflect more deeply on the implications of knowing the future. My conclusion was that I’m now far less excited about knowing what’s coming for sure particularly if it ends poorly, but even if it ends well a lot of th...
Words of HABIT
47 | Link ➤

15 Sep 11:27
Took this photo last night at 7pm, just outside of Toronto. Not a cloud in the sky and one could stare directly into the sun without squinting due to smoke particles from the fires burning in Oregon and California 2,200 miles to the West. This is why I invest wholeheartedly in Tesla. We are all in t...
elasalle
44 | Link ➤

15 Sep 13:54
OK All, delete your Tesla App, and download it again ... seems Goldman is tracking downloads
Rockster
40 | Link ➤

15 Sep 21:47
This post caught my eye so I went back over the financial statements for Apple and Tesla from 2011 until now to compare their R&D expenditures.

Tesla: About $8 billion total R&D expenditures from 2011 through 2020.
Apple: About $95 billion during the same time period.

I won't deny that Apple has a...
BlackS
38 | Link ➤

15 Sep 14:45
{no text}
BlackS
36 | Link ➤

15 Sep 19:45
This day in $TSLA history 4 years ago:
ggr
36 | Link ➤

15 Sep 15:59
Semi-Mod: the back-and-forth from all parties about million mile battery shall stop now. --ggr
Zaxxon
36 | Link ➤

15 Sep 13:43
Another new piece of slang, in the spirit of Joe Mode--can we get Tesla to rename neutral to Nikola Mode?

If the car is not designed to race, why is there a "Track Mode"?

Literally, that's a selling feature of the P3D.

I understand that I and a few others are pushing the bounds of what these cars can do, but that is what enthusiasts do.

For all it's flaws, the Taycan does not have these thermal management issues even when pushed hard (per the reviews).

EDIT - and I'm not talking some "power fade" after a hard day at the track. That, as you pointed out, is normal for most high-performance cars.

I'm talking a drastic drop in performance. The drop that the P3D sees is far far greater than what the ICE equivalent sees.

When we go out, I can best anyone in our group except the 911 Turbo S (and I do well against him). By the end of the day, the BMW M3s in the group are on my rear easily.

So better to pay more money for an ICE that is consistently slower? Rather than a Tesla that starts the day much faster and ends the day still faster. :p

Reading through the article eventually reveals the bias in those claims. The emissions from PHEVs is based on how they are driven. If they are plugged in regularly and driven for around town distances they get very low emissions as they function as a BEV until the charge runs out. I had one prior to buying a Tesla and ran it on pure battery about 80% of the time. The problem is that many people buy these and never plug them in, just driving them as a regular hybrid, because they can get carpool access by owning a PHEV even if they don’t use in properly. My neighbor across the street does that. Blaming the car for it being misused misses the point that the problem is the driver, like blaming a gun for its being used for criminal activity. I gave up my PHEV early because I wanted to drive in electric mode all of the time. That is not an option for a lot of people.

If they made the battery cylinders so big that there were only 8 or 12 in an S or X, we could buy a zero emissions 8 or 12 cylinder Tesla.

I know it's a dense question, but why are many here so convinced there's a lot of MM mediated price manipulation?
Pretty much because in a small community like this it's easy to promote conspiracy theories. Personally, I give no credence to these constant cries of "manipulation!!!". Perhaps if people were just as vocal on fast moves up on no news then I'd believe they weren't just being paranoid. But as it stands, when the stock price goes down it's manipulation and when it goes up it's just doing what it's supposed to do.

The truth is that apart from anything else, it's a great indicator for people who need to go on ignore. Cuts down on the noise.