TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by AudubonB, Dec 28, 2018.

1. LTC_RRR

LTC_RRR Member

Problem with schol zones is that the speed limits are a function of both time and geography

2. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

*IF* BH did buy into $TSLA, can anyone take a shot at the timing of the reveal, the timing of the Dec 21 SP overshoot then settle? Curious how they might interact.... Not looking for advice ;)

3. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

This is great. I'll call it the Musk solution to the China problem. The China problem is that you can't ignore the Chinese market, it is too big. But people who set up manufacturing there (and you must to avoid tariffs, among other reasons) soon find other companies exactly duplicating what you've built.

I always wondered how Elon was going to square that circle with respect to his Chinese factory. The obvious answer was that he was simple going to continuously innovate faster than the Chinese could copy. So far, that seems to be the plan, and so far, it seems to be working:
    upload_2020-11-20_8-16-57.png

Attached Files:

• Informative x 27
    • Like x 7
    • Love x 5
    • Helpful x 1
  4. GrandEnigma

GrandEnigma Member

That has been an area I have been curious about for some time. My area of NJ/NYC has a number of time of day right turns on red as well as time of day turns in general. Will be fascinating to see how they tackle this.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. juanmedina

juanmedina Active Member

can you explain this strategy? so you sold 100 shares to buy 3 September 21 $200 strike calls? I was looking at the price on those options on the 17th vs today compared to holding the 100 shares for the same time period and the gains were almost the same. Maybe I did something wrong. At todays IV of 73% it doesn't seem too late to swap share to options IMO but I am just curious if is worth it.

6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Well-Known Member

It wasn't a rampage. And it is informative. And accurate.

• Like x 15
    • Helpful x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • Love x 1
  7. BlackS

BlackS Supporting Member

upload_2020-11-20_8-27-27.png

• Informative x 5
  8. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Is Cat

#219688 Krugerrand, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Making the problem insurmountable because the car doesn’t know the time of day, can’t identify when the school crossing signs are flashing or not, there’s no way for counties or cities to make road changes in the future that are more conducive and thoughtful in terms of FSD vehicles —

That you can’t imagine a solution doesn’t mean it’s something that can’t be resolved, perhaps easily. Roundabouts are way more challenging to negotiate than school zones.

I want to know how they’re going to teach it to make toast. Now that’s something to fret over.

9. Big Time

Big Time Member

Time to turn this ship around.

I’ll handle this.

****Flips Switch****

SPANK

• Love x 6
    • Funny x 4
  10. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

I have no understanding of the plot for today. The volume is much lower than the last two days. And yet those that are supposedly going to front-run inclusion also know that the MM's will try and keep the stock below $500 (is there any solid proof that maxpain is around $500?). So is what we are seeing the buyers sitting on their hands because they are patiently waiting to see how far the stock price will drop before they buy? I did watch one or two technical guys on Youtube last night say the stock would come down to the $480's before taking off. Though I usually watch them for entertainment.
    $500 SP would be a very respectable place to end the day, and make for a pleasant week end with Xmas Monday likely. But so would seeing the MM's lose it today.

11. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Is Cat

Not hard. The car knows time of day, day of week, or if it’s a national holiday. It even knows what year it is. I know, shocker.

The car can read signs.

Problem solved.

• Like x 5
    • Love x 1
  12. mikevbf

mikevbf Supporting Member

I tend to agree especially as regards the big picture of Tesla vehicles being able to autonomously drive outside walled gardens. But, one thing I noticed is that Xpeng's ability to get their cars to autonomously navigate a parking lot and find a spot and park is way better than Tesla which makes me believe they can innovate too. Whatever software they might have taken it is considerably different and better now. I used to joke that Tesla should steal back. But with FSD beta out, my tune has changed regarding Tesla's ability to get to level 4+ autonomy better than anyone else.

• Informative x 1
  13. AudubonB

AudubonB RIP Borealis 2006-2020

No need to fret, dear Cat. ICE = toast.

• Funny x 4
    • Informative x 1
  14. lafrisbee

lafrisbee Active Member

#219694 lafrisbee, Nov 20, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    It is not so difficult to understand how much something like FSD will drive better than a human when humans postulate that a computer with cameras can not tell time and read street signs.
    I have little faith in humans. And the belief that somehow humans can manage "School Zones" better than FSD reinforces my lack of faith.

"SCHOOL ZONE
    15 MPH
    7:30 AM - 8:30 AM
    2:30 PM - 3:30 PM"

WTF.

• Love x 3
  15. Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope And the meek shall inherit the Earth

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...

Puts higher than calls, all the way to $490 now! $500 calls decreased from 35k to 25k, allowing some offloading of hedge-shares, probably more $500 selling ongoing = likely this which is causing the drop.

In any case, close today in the $490's, if THEY can do it - lower volume would suggest yes.

upload_2020-11-20_17-44-23.png

• Informative x 12
    • Helpful x 3
    • Love x 2
  16. Sudre

Sudre Member

Looks like they did not manage to clear out the $495 Calls and THEY were not able to sell enough Puts at that strike either. Sure it's not much and can easily be rolled to another weeks but why when they can simply push the SP down. Today's true goal is to stay under $500 with the bonus round of keeping it under $495.

700 FRI OI closeup.png

• Informative x 11
  17. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

The worst of the early rush to buy after the announcement has slowed, but that's not the problem. The major issue from now til the end of the year is that no one in their right mind will sell. So the normal shenanigans like we're seeing right now with this MMD will bounce even harder than usual.

I would imagine the traders all know this and are licking their chops at a free 2% swing in TSLA they're pretty much guaranteed buying at the low and selling at 3pm.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
  18. TheTalkingMule

TheTalkingMule Distributed Energy Enthusiast

Buy at $492, take a 90 minute lunch, sell at $499. Free money.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 1
  19. Runarbt

Runarbt Member

I sold 200 shares (15-20% of my shares), and bought 3x sept 2021 calls.

I do need SP for sept2021 to be $650 for these calls to be worth more than the 200 shares I sold.
    (650-200 = 450x300 = 135k , while 200 shares x650 = 135k)

However - I did have about 14k left after buying those 3x sept2021 calls.
    I spent those on some nice (imho) $500 jan/feb-2021 calls as a S&P500 play.

So far - I am up an extra 15-20k, compared to if I had just HODL those 200 shares.

I have no idea how this will turn out in the end. Might sell all calls and go back into stocks after Q1 ER.
    Or just roll the sept2021 calls a year at a time.

• Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  20. jhm

jhm Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

• Funny x 2