Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Meanwhile, we go live to the state of the auto industry...

upload_2020-3-8_22-37-20.png

Last edited:
The collapsing oil price is a disaster for Tesla's competitors. Their only chance was to catch up to Tesla while Tesla is supply constrained. Cheap gas makes the transition to EVs much more difficult for them. By the time Tesla has ramped up their own battery cell production the other OEM's will have missed their window of opportunity despite having spent tens of billions of dollars - billions they were barely able to afford in the first place since their ICE sales will tank in the current weak economy.

Oil crashes at market open due to Saudi Arabia launching an oil price war.

ESnn_byXgAA5HVB

Note that generally low oil prices are good for most industries, since they pay out the nose for fuel. Not sure how macros overall will react, however.

I imagine that people who are deeply invested in airline stocks are cancelling their plans to jump out the window. ;)

Are you sure? The way I read it is (as a simple example) a 1kW switched reluctance motor would cost c.$8 and a 1kW linear labs motor would cost c.$2. i.e. for the same power the linear labs motor is far cheaper.
I'm sure that the label is misleading in that lower values are better. And Sandy Munro calculated a $754 cost for the 236kw M3 rear motor. That was roundabout $3/kw for the LR almost two years ago at much worse economies of scale. Not out of reach that Tesla is meanwhile in $2/kw territory themselves.

• Informative
Reactions: CorneliusXX

ESnn_byXgAA5HVB

Note that generally low oil prices are good for most industries, since they pay out the nose for fuel. Not sure how macros overall will react, however.

I imagine that people who are deeply invested in airline stocks are cancelling their plans to jump out the window. ;)
So much for DIY flight, eh?
(This IMG also MIA)

Last edited:
Kelvin Yang's source. The article is largely negative (about the HW3 issue and early price change) so it seems very believable.

首批国产特斯拉车主,被“割了韭菜”

'According to the Financial Associated Press, the tender for some important projects of the 1.5 phase of the joint plant of Tesla Shanghai Lingang Super Factory has been closed, and key structures including the steel structure production of the stamping workshop are about to start. The construction period is expected to be only one month. This means that the follow-up project of Tesla Shanghai Super Factory is accelerating.

According to a meeting record from Shengang Securities obtained by Ranjing Finance, on March 1, 2020, Tesla Shanghai factory experts and key investors exchanged conference calls. Experts said that the first phase of the Tesla Shanghai factory was mainly Production of Model 3, with a planned production capacity of 150,000 vehicles, but through technical transformation and outsourcing of some parts and components, processing can continue to increase production capacity. Affected by the epidemic later in the year, the current production capacity of the first phase of the plant is 2,000 units / week, with single shifts per day and overtime on Saturdays to extend the single shift time without affecting production capacity; the two shifts in March are expected to reach 3500 units / week ; The entire first half of the production of 50,000 to 60,000.

Experts at Tesla's Shanghai plant said that the capacity of the first phase of the plant will climb greatly from July. It is expected that a pressure test will be conducted at the end of June. Now the entire Tesla Shanghai plant is pushing forward from high-level to ordinary employees. Capacity increase is expected to start in July and can reach a capacity of 5,000 vehicles per week, that is, 20,000 vehicles per month. In the first and second half of this year, the combined production capacity is expected to be about 170,000 vehicles. Looking at the whole year next year, if the whole year runs at a production capacity of 5,000 vehicles per week, it can reach a production capacity of nearly 250,000 vehicles per year.

In addition, the domestic Model Y is currently in the early stage of fixed-point and is expected to be put into production in October. It was originally planned to be listed before the end of December 2020, but due to the impact of the epidemic, the listing plan was delayed and it is expected to be delayed until January 2021; the Model 3 has a long battery life. The version is under development, and mass production is expected in the second half of the year.

At present, Tesla is gradually completing the localization of the supply chain. According to the meeting records, according to the current number of parts and supporting value of Tesla's domestic production, the domestic production rate has exceeded 30%, and is currently expected to be around 40%; According to outside legends, the middle of the year is 70% and the end of the year is 100%. Tesla's Chinese factory experts said that the actual progress will only be faster than this, and it is expected to exceed 70% by the middle of the year, and it can reach 100% by the end of the year. At present, the company's senior management and procurement department are continuously accelerating the progress of localization.'

US markets will probably test their lows of SP500 @ 2700-2800 over the next 2-3 weeks then snap back when coronavirus passes.

In the mean time TSLA should drift with macros, perhaps a bit deeper dips since there's so much leverage/volatility.
Could be another leg down to the Dec 2018 lows, that’s where my money is. But hopefully, TSLA will have relative strength against this broader mkt bear trend.

Could be another leg down to the Dec 2018 lows, that’s where my money is. But hopefully, TSLA will have relative strength against this broader mkt bear trend.
Most of us know the value of the company. I have cash just sitting here for anything really stupid. Hadn't intended to buy anymore shares because I have enough for a lifetime, but if people want to give them away...

ESnn_byXgAA5HVB

The rarely seen refenestration