Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Making unprofitable cars does not accelerate Tesla's mission as much as making profitable cars (and re-investing the profits into new production facilities).
Sez you. The devil is in the details of course. It might. So long as Tesla's growth is constrained by anything other than available cash, more profit is unlikely to help.

In any case, I said nothing about microcars. What I said was that profits are not the mission. Tesla is not driven by profit.

• Funny
Reactions: RobStark
Oh no! I’m not selling anything for a long long time! It’ll take at least 5-10k/sh to pry a share of TSLA from me lol! I’m just debating whether or not to sell this APPL. It probably doesn’t matter really but this 25 shares APPL is like 7 whole TSLA shares Lol! I still have my stock in a private company I work for that I bought when I was 16. I always overthink these things...o_O
okay, okay! Point made and very valid! I shall hold the APPL and in years and years down the road I will come back to this post and give you a virtual hug, friend! :)
Whoops!!!! “AAPL”
I am generally of the opinion that somebody who doesn't remember the ticker symbol of a great company whose stock they own is possibly a brilliant buy and hold investor who really ought to just hold forever. Or an idiot who should just get out as quickly as possible.

You might want to consider which applies to you and act accordingly.

Making unprofitable cars does not accelerate Tesla's mission as much as making profitable cars (and re-investing the profits into new production facilities).

Tesla is production limited, not demand limited. They are not even close to the point at which they can't sell all the mid-sized and large cars they can make. Is there something that all you advocates of micro-cars don't understand about that?

On top of that, microcars vs. larger cars makes more sense with gas than EV (because their lighter weight minimizes braking losses). EV's recover a large portion of the braking energy and thus the advantages of making them smaller and smaller is less compelling. The aerodynamic drag of a microcar is about the same as a larger car like the Model 3. But the real reason Tesla is not moving into microcars yet is because they can sell all the larger cars they can make and it's more advantageous to get larger gas cars off the road than microcars. Plus microcars would be a net drag on expanding production at this point in time.
Key point here is FSD timelines. If Elon is even close to being right, all future cars revealed should be variations of robotaxis. This is one of many reasons why Elon has said the next reveal won't be for sometime. Elon can wait to see before he reveals.

I think a 1 or 2 PAX microcar robotaxi is worth almost as much to the Tesla network as a larger car. Reduced weight is hugely important for most robotaxis which will mostly be used in cities plus easier to scale with half the battery cells etc.

I started investigating history of Berkshire Hathaway class b in 2010 Jan 26 it was announced that it would be included to S&P okt had roughly average volume and dropped from 71$ to $67.87 on the day it was announced and the prior day (was announced after hours)

Then the next day when the news was out it hit $73.28.

My point being is tesla inclusion can come at anytime alot of people my self included have said the crappy volume of late might signify that s&p inclusion is out of the picture but really it may just magically happen.

One thing tho the week of the inclusion 26 Berkshire did a 50:1 stock split prior to the inclusion news so the average was almost 10x more than usual than settled. But than the news for S&p inclusion hit and it hit 19X avg volume the next day (Jan 27th 2010)

• Informative
Reactions: shootformoon
I've been sick for a few days, and I missed ~50 pages of this thread, so excuse me if this has already been posted but:

It looks like one of the new buildings at Giga Shanghai will be used to burn the shorts and to light billions of dollars on fire, because I can't imagine why else they'd need about 30 massive ventilators on the roof of that building in the corner.

Subject: Any path that gives flexibility to switch from/to TSLA options to 1-Delta (behave like Stock TSLA) without Tax effects
This is in the context of a Taxable account.

I am trying to find a way to always be in TSLA, either Stock or Options with the ability to switch without tax effects. It appears I would at the least end up with LTCG (long-term capital gains tax)

Ideally, I would like to have my money in Options during the times when I expect Options to move faster than stock, that is, favorable IV.
At the same time, when the IV is not favorable I would like to switch to some instrument that mimics holding the stock, Delta being 1.
  1. Stock: If I choose Stock as such fallback, I will end with taxes, short/long term. I would like to avoid this cost.
  2. Deep ITM LEAP: I can switch to long date deep ITM options which behave very much like TSLA (Dollar for Dollar move up/down). But with these, at the least I will end up with LTCG.
Maybe there's a totally different approach that gives the desired effect?

hi setting up a Loss Pool might work, this is something I am exploring too. It might not work due to the margin situation that one may have.

It basically works this way.

In Aug 2020, assume Tsla sp is $1500, we can sell a Jun 22 $100 call, and get $140k premium. (I named this loss pool) Then we use that money to buy a Jun 22 $110 call. (I named this Gain Pool)

Say you have a Sep 20 $1800 call and you close it in Sep and realize $200k.

In Dec 2020, if Tesla is at $3000, we can close the Jun 22 $100 call (buy it back), thus we realize $150k loss in this trade). So after this loss, your net gain is only 50k now.

Basically the $150k gain is now transferred to the Jun 22 $110 call and you avoid pay tax in 2021 for that part.

Would this work for you?

Last edited:
SpaceX most definitely has an impact on Tesla, from marketing, to technology, to materials, to awesome prowness.

SpaceX
currently expects to send its first cargo mission to Mars in 2022
, a human mission mooted for 2024. Excitingly, Musk believes that his ITS ship will eventually be able to manage the Earth to Marsjourney in just 30 days.

SpaceX is making amazing progress on their Starships build out (undated photo).
View attachment 571529

Coming back from Georgian Bay, 2 hours North of Toronto, this weekend, I did a double take and thought SpaceX had put up a stealth manufacturing plant for Starships in Canada. But alas, only a field of my dreams.
View attachment 571536
it's actually a pretty cool process by which they build grain bins & this video made me wonder if SpaceX has studied or adopted some of these techniques to create a more efficient manufacturing process for Starship

Tesla's mission is pretty explicit. Nothing there about profits. Profits are at best a by-product. Any time there is a choice between putting more people into EV's faster on the one hand, and profits on the other hand, Tesla will choose the former if at all possible.

There is nothing in Tesla's mission statement that it is a non-profit charity.

You can't have a sustainable company without profits.

You can't give product away at a loss or for cost.

They don't build Gigafactories nor Supercharger Networks on non-profits.

Transitioning the world to sustainable production and consumption of renewable energy is going to be very expensive. And it won't be funded by donations by ExxonMobil.

Without attention to profits Tesla becomes Ecotricity.

Elon Musk is not Dale Vince.

Not a vanity project. Elon and Tesla are about real change.

Elon has repeatedly said Starlink is for stationary use not vehicle. If there is a Tesla play it could be at superchargers. Offer wifi to the charging cars, with movies, entertainment, ecommerce, hyperlocal (walking distance) right-now ads/deals, local news/weather, full TV, sports, etc

I'm going to take that statement with a grain of salt "for now".

The reason is that one of the major $$$ on high speed sat connection are for airplanes and cruises, which I'm sure Starlink are at least working on some prototype equipment for Starlink to function on them. And of course, with anything airplane related, you have a lot of certifications to go through. So... "for now"... it's stationary only.

But by the time all Starlink sats are launched, if they can get it to work on an airplane traveling at 0.9mach or maybe even SpaceX own passenger rockets that goes supersonic. I'm sure a Roaster going at 200+mph wouldn't be much of a problem from a technical perspective.

I'm going to take that statement with a grain of salt "for now".

The reason is that one of the major $$$ on high speed sat connection are for airplanes and cruises, which I'm sure Starlink are at least working on some prototype equipment for Starlink to function on them. And of course, with anything airplane related, you have a lot of certifications to go through. So... "for now"... it's stationary only.

But by the time all Starlink sats are launched, if they can get it to work on an airplane traveling at 0.9mach or maybe even SpaceX own passenger rockets that goes supersonic. I'm sure a Roaster going at 200+mph wouldn't be much of a problem from a technical perspective.
It's not the velocity of the vehicle. Starlink satellites are not in geostationary orbit so there's a velocity differential between the satellite and a stationary antenna on the earth anyway with a much higher differential.

It's the size of the antenna and the likelihood of obfuscation on cars that make it a harder use case. Neither of which should be an issue with planes or cruise ships.

Last edited:
Tesla just wanted a weird truck, Elon Musk says

But the Cybertruck is expected to be classified as a medium-duty pickup, putting it more on par with Ford’s Super Duty or Chevrolet’s Silverado HD. Musk told Automotive News the Cybertruck would not be sold globally.

We’re really, fundamentally making this truck as a North American ass-kicker, basically,” he said. “The goal is to kick the most amount of ass possible with this truck. We want it to be something you could use to tow a boat, a horse trailer, pull tree stumps out of the ground, go off-roading and you don’t have to worry about scratching the paint because there is no paint. You could just be smashing boulders and be fine.”

Musk said at least 200,000 customers have put down refundable $100 deposits for the Cybertruck since the company started taking them in November. But despite the competitive barbs thrown at Ford, he’s not necessarily seeking to steal market share from the established players by poaching their pickup customers.

Last edited:
It's not the velocity of the vehicle. Starlink satellites are not in geostationary orbit so there's a velocity differential between the satellite and a stationary antenna on the earth anyway with a much higher differential.

It's the size of the antenna and the likelihood of obfuscation on cars that make it a harder use case. Neither of which should be an issue with planes or cruise ships.

Maybe if needed it could be easily fitted instead of a frunk, as an option when buying car.

This is Jack's best video of all of them! He covers about 5 or 6 subjects that are key to fully grasping and understanding what's going on with Tesla, things that most people (and some people here) just don't seem to understand. While it's true that Jack is a Tesla bull, and has been for years, his most major failing over the years was to not be a big enough bull. And that's something he shares with most people here, myself included.

Don't forget to turn the playback speed up.

Agreed, great video, a must-watch for everyone here. 1.5x worked for me.

I am generally of the opinion that somebody who doesn't remember the ticker symbol of a great company whose stock they own is possibly a brilliant buy and hold investor who really ought to just hold forever. Or an idiot who should just get out as quickly as possible.

You might want to consider which applies to you and act accordingly.

thank you for your kind words. Let me clarify: I wouldn’t have bought Apple stock if I didn’t recognize its value. I guess my question was/is would you trade it for Tesla or just hold it there to have along with Tesla (I’m still buying Tesla as I work/earn). Thank you! :)

As Elon pointed out rightfully in the earnings call, FSD will make a bigger impact than anything and be likely the largest value appreciation on record ever.

It's a critical element for investors since the stock will be seen fully as a technology play and IMO Tesla will be the highest valued company in the world.

In order to review my investment thesis that I defined back in 2014, I screened all FSD/ autonomous car candidates over the years and had the please a few weeks ago to interview Danny Shapiro the Senior Director Automotive from Nvidia.

In the next step, I proudly can present a new not known player called Recogni no one had on his shortlist so far but who may play an important role in the future. My interview with the CEO and Co-Founder R K Anand is online now and it has been a great pleasure to talk to him.

I leave a listener comment here:

"A tip of the hat to you for "discovering" Recogni and your interview with R K Anand. He is so typical of the cream of the crop Silicon Valley software and systems engineers -- off the charts smart, extremely articulate, and strategically focused."

Exclusive: CEO & Co-Founder of Recogni, R K Anand, in His 1st Interview

Ouch.. 40 cars done, 329960 cars to go..

EeZfoxnXkAEQUD4

https://twitter.com/teslaP3D/status/1289823502657355776?s=20