Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several unrelated thoughts:
  • Being snubbed by S&P sucks
  • The worst is having to hear people talk about it for the next few days/months
  • We don't need them as much as they need us
  • They'll get continuously hassled as long as Tesla continues to be profitable, in top 10 and excluded, no?
  • Fundamentals are the same for us HODLers
  • THIS IS THE BIG ONE, IMO, Tesla will be the last opportunity to publicly buy into Musk's visionary and leadership/motivation ability.
    • SpaceX and Boring Co are still private
    • Musk hates dealing with the market as his boss after what they put him through growing Tesla. Shorts especially.
    • He doesn't need wall street money anymore. He can get near limitless private investors or self find his non-Tesla visions (ie "funding secured")
  • This might become a serious accumulation opportunity. For HODLers, if you have the dry powder, use it!
Even Elon would have to pull quite the trick to produce a few hundred billion out of his butt to take TSLA private.

Last edited:
The $5 Billion raise, unlike the stock split and S&P inclusion/non-inclusion, actually does provide a boost to the company fundamentals and it was well worth doing with the stock price so high meaning so little dilution.

Whether it is instead of new debt, or offsetting/paying down existing debt, the $5 Billion raised will contribute to lower net interest costs, which increases net income going forward.

Except that based on the terms of the offering, we have no clue if Tesla has actually raised one dollar. The offering specifically stated that Tesla would choose when and at what price to issue those shares. For all we know, Tesla hasn't collect any cash from the offering yet. And if they haven't, the idea of doing it at 500 is long gone for the time being

TSLA is the 800-pound gorilla in the S&P committee room. Shifting a few monkeys among their indices should be easily digestible for the index funds. Apparently announcing those shifts before a North American holiday was not seen to present the problem it could if TSLA were involved.

It will be seventeen days before the quarterly S&P rebalancing takes effect in market trading. There’s still time for additions to be announced. And that’s not unprecedented. But even if not this month, to maintain any credibility S&P will eventually have to add TSLA. For long term shareholders (not options speculators) it’s simply a matter of whether they give us a little jolt now or later. Of course the longer they wait, the larger the gorilla grows.
TSLA will be added by Jan 22, thats where my LEAPS are ;) CC to negate the noise :)

Fair enough,

I always say "What would I do in their position".,.. that is subjective.... but a key criteria for funds is to look after their members interests.... if they are buying in, they need to know the approximate price... at least I would before buying.

Ah, but that requires your thinking and theirs to line up; be on the same page, come from the same life guidelines, morals, ethics, etc...

The exercise I use is; What motivates ‘them’? Now what will ‘they’ do based on that motivation?

Speculation is entirely different than what actually happens/happened. In a matter of a handful of posts speculation turns into fact. I’ve watched it happen, quite literally, DOZENS of times over the years. As a species we suck at keeping fact from fiction. I find it annoying simply because keeping the two separate is one of my superpowers, but it does make me warm and fuzzy inside every single time I get to say the magic words.
the "narrative fallacy" we love to create stories...

Does anyone else see a *yuge* potential for cyber truck in LEO space? It actually seems like a complete no brainer to me. Performance, storage, lower cost per mile, comfort, badass, etc. They would literally pay for themselves. How many vehicles per year is the police, sheriff, CHP market?
Screen-Shot-2020-02-21-at-5.41.31-AM.jpg

I had to look it up...
Ford dominates the police vehicle market, selling 65 percent of the 55,517 police vehicles in 2017.
Source

So the market in 2017 was 55K vehicles....

Reactions: RedOctober
Why would you think that? We know Moody's isn't going to upgrade their credit rating until it is beyond ridiculous because the shorts (Wall Street generally) has their ear. I see no reason to believe that Standard and Poor is any different. I think TSLA could meet S&P guidelines for two straight years without being included because they too are a part of the Wall St. machine that wants to destroy Tesla. We could hope it's different but I certainly wouldn't expect it to be.

I can't say "called it" yet, but I'm not wrong yet either.

There’s gotta be more to this. We all know that it’s impossible to keep Elon quiet when he feels he’s been treated unfairly. The fact that the S&P additions were announced hours ago and he still hasn’t commented lends some credibility to the theory that they will only be added Monday afternoon to avoid a frenzy on the European stock exchange. We’ll see....

The $5 Billion raise, unlike the stock split and S&P inclusion/non-inclusion, actually does provide a boost to the company fundamentals and it was well worth doing with the stock price so high meaning so little dilution.

Whether it is instead of new debt, or offsetting/paying down existing debt, the $5 Billion raised will contribute to lower net interest costs, which increases net income going forward.

This is not a normal capital raise - it is only a filing /setup allowing Tesla to raise up to $5B when it wants, in the quantities it wants, at the price it wants.. So far we don't know how much if any has been raised.

There’s gotta be more to this. We all know that it’s impossible to keep Elon quiet when he feels he’s been treated unfairly. The fact that the S&P additions were announced hours ago and he still hasn’t commented lends some credibility to the theory that they will only be added Monday afternoon to avoid a frenzy on the European stock exchange. We’ll see....
Or Elon no longer tweets like that.... hmmmm... let see.... LOL

After-action Report: Fri, Sep 04, 2020: (Full-Day's Trading)

Headline: "TSLA Whipsawed Waiting for S&P Announcement"

Traded: $44,408,339,988.59 ($44.41B)
Volume: 110,308,416
VWAP: $402.58

Closing SP / VWAP: 103.85%
(TSLA closed ABOVE today's Avg SP)
Mkt Cap: TSLA / TM = $389.794B / $184.96B = 210.75%​

TSLA 1-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $356.72B
TSLA 6-mth Moving Avg Market Cap: $201.51B
Nota Bene: Mkt Cap likely unlocks 3rd tranche of CEO comp. plan as of today, Sep 04, 2020

'Short' Report:

FINRA Volume / Total NASDAQ Vol = 48.3% (48th Percentile rank FINRA Reporting)
FINRA Short/Total Volume = 36.6% (42nd Percentile rank Shorting)
FINRA Short Exempt Volume was 8.55% of Short Volume (116th Percentile Rank)​

TSLA - SUMMARY TABLE - 2020-09-04.png

Comment: "Etsy, Teradyne and Catalent Set to Join S&P 500 but not TSLA"

View all Lodger's After-Action Reports

Cheers!

Last edited:
Calm down, everyone. It's not like Tesla is done being profitable or is finished growing. The addition didn't happen today. But it's coming at some point. Hodl on, enjoy your cars, watch some videos of one of Tesla's gigantic factory builds in progress. Relax in the knowledge that the stock is still hovering around a $2k pre-split level.

You places your bets and you lives with the consequences. Me? Sold some calls when we were hovering around $500, used the proceeds to add some more shares under $400. Life's still pretty good.

If you need some other candy...

The Raptor is absurd. Human included for scale.

https://twitter.com/SpaceX/status/1302038129990279168?s=19