Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just freed up a pretty good sized chunk of dry powder and want to add to my TSLA position for the long term (no options, just shares). Would you guys and gals recommend still getting in with this $440-$450 range before battery day, or wait for a buying opportunity with an possible drop after BD?

Personally I think BD will be a sell the news event, with most folks not really understanding the long term benefits of what gets announced and just thinking "eh, a refresh of a $100,000 car with a new $140,000 version that's faster for sale....and a bunch of nerd stuff about tabs and manufacturing ...meh"

I was confident enough in thinking that that this morning on the pop to a bit over $450 SP I sold off my 500 calls expiring 9/25 that I'd bought a while back when BDs date was first announced, expecting a decent price the week before... (and indeed I sold em for a nice enough profit).

That said, I'm not confident enough in it being purely a sell the news event that I'm selling any covered calls for next week :)

Daily Roundup Preview: 16 September
Posts from 15 Sep 08:37 GMT to 16 Sep 20:31 GMT
Votes as of 16 Sep 20:32 GMT

Go here to see today's full Roundtable Roundup!

Top 10 Total Positive Votes

Author /
Votes /
Time (GMT)
Content Preview
Krugerrand
84 | Link ➤

15 Sep 23:07
@Words of HABIT I just got off a video chat with Mom. Strangely enough out-of-the-blue she asked (I did not mention it) how the SP was doing. We haven’t spoken about it since she called $2,500. I told her it was currently $480 post split. She nodded and blithely said it’s going to $900 and then $100...
Johann Koeber
59 | Link ➤

16 Sep 16:42
Just another data point:

I ordered another M3 SR+ here in Germany yesterday. The order page says delivery in 5-10 weeks. Long time for me.

As in the other quarters, I then called Tesla and asked to match me a car already on its way. The surprising result: all cars in transit are spoken for. No SR...
Krugerrand
50 | Link ➤

15 Sep 12:24
A few thoughts:

1) I just finished watching the movie Paycheck, which caused me to reflect more deeply on the implications of knowing the future. My conclusion was that I’m now far less excited about knowing what’s coming for sure particularly if it ends poorly, but even if it ends well a lot of th...
Words of HABIT
47 | Link ➤

15 Sep 11:27
Took this photo last night at 7pm, just outside of Toronto. Not a cloud in the sky and one could stare directly into the sun without squinting due to smoke particles from the fires burning in Oregon and California 2,200 miles to the West. This is why I invest wholeheartedly in Tesla. We are all in t...
elasalle
44 | Link ➤

15 Sep 13:54
OK All, delete your Tesla App, and download it again ... seems Goldman is tracking downloads
Rockster
40 | Link ➤

15 Sep 21:47
This post caught my eye so I went back over the financial statements for Apple and Tesla from 2011 until now to compare their R&D expenditures.

Tesla: About $8 billion total R&D expenditures from 2011 through 2020.
Apple: About $95 billion during the same time period.

I won't deny that Apple has a...
BlackS
38 | Link ➤

15 Sep 14:45
{no text}
BlackS
36 | Link ➤

15 Sep 19:45
This day in $TSLA history 4 years ago:
ggr
36 | Link ➤

15 Sep 15:59
Semi-Mod: the back-and-forth from all parties about million mile battery shall stop now. --ggr
Zaxxon
36 | Link ➤

15 Sep 13:43
Another new piece of slang, in the spirit of Joe Mode--can we get Tesla to rename neutral to Nikola Mode?

Sweet! Mom will be pleased to know she hit the #1 & #3 spots this week on the top 10 billboard.

Electrek would do everything for clicks.

Although not everything they report is wrong they are no trustful source therefore its better to ignore them.

Regardless of what we think, if you asked the financial media / analysts what the most trusted source for Tesla leaks is the number one answer you'd get would be Electrek. Fred's reporting matters and Elon knows it. In fact he's denied reports made by Electrek multiple times in the past.

Regardless of what we think, if you asked the financial media / analysts what the most trusted source for Tesla leaks is the number one answer you'd get would be Electrek. Fred's reporting matters and Elon knows it. In fact he's denied reports made by Electrek multiple times in the past.
You are getting disagrees but you are right. Electrek articles are frequently cited in analyst reports.

Porsche unveils 2.1MW mobile Turbocharging.

Deiss should have called Elon to hook him up with some solar panels for the roof. Even if it wasn't for significant practical purposes, the optics alone would be helpful.

Porsche unveils awesome 2.1 MWh Megapack-like mobile charging system for electric cars - Electrek

If they didn't roll out something like that Taycan owners would only be able to manage the trip to and from the track plus 5 laps.
I wonder how many they've built? (1 probably).

Phil LeBeau has quoted Electrek on CNBC multiple times.

If they didn't roll out something like that Taycan owners would only be able to manage the trip to and from the track plus 5 laps.
I wonder how many they've built? (1 probably).

Wonder if they have one at the Nürburgring - They absolutely should build one there.

Tesla has a Supercharger at the track.

You would think that Porsche wouldn't want Tesla mowing their lawn - in their own backyard!

Tesla installs a Supercharger station at Nürburgring - Electrek

• Informative
Reactions: H Mak
People wanting a fast track EV need to wait and buy a Plaid Model S if they can afford it.
It has been testing on a track.....
Any ICE cars it doesn't beat, a Roadster will beat.

No one says the fastest track car had to be cheap or easy.

A cheaper route maybe to buy a Model 3 and mod it for track use.

I'm not sure if current energy densities support a viable Plaid Model 3, regardless, I can't see this being a priority.
However there should be plenty of headroom to improve the Performance Model 3 without overly competing with the flagship models.

Tesla provides very good value for money in terms of performance at all levels...but premium performance has never been cheap.

Last edited:

I think it is a shame that this has leaked.

I don't blame Fred, once he has the information the temptation to publish is strong.

Good chance the leaking party is a young junior factory employee, unless Tesla confiscates all mobile phones and cameras at the factory this is herd to prevent.. smuggling a cell out for a quick photo might be hard to prevent...

So I don't blame anyone, but it is unfortunate.....

Now tab-less cells are confirmed I give the metal-air hybrid battery some (remote) chance, the reason for that is tab-less cells will require a re-think on thermal runaway protection.... I will not go into the details here, but the metal-air battery is a kind of potential "security blanket" for thermal runway, main battery failure, and range anxiety

There is also lots of areas the Limiting Factor covered that are possible inclusions, so even with the leak there is lots we don't know.

What we still don't know would be very hard for a junior staff member to leak... So the pool of possible leakers for additional information is very small.