Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No, I think he’s just referring to building multiple factories as quickly as possible.
Elon tweeted "speedrunning factorio".

factorio.com

Factorio is a game in which you build and maintain factories. You will be mining resources, researching technologies, building infrastructure, automating ...

Friday Facts #360 - 1.0 is here! · ‎Demo · ‎Official Factorio Wiki · ‎Factorio Mods

In this case, I think it's more like "frontrunning"... :p

Cheers!

Last edited:

I worked with 3 lawyers on that matter when working for 2 US companies when the law was new and years after. Would need to read it again to point you to the section so apologize for not having the time right now to go through it again. I worked for a US company at that point in time as a GM for Germany and it was a question of high importance for us because otherwise, we would have needed to stop business.

Therefore, we invested quite a lot in that matter and got 100% clarity on it.

No issue for Tesla unless they comply with using the data they transfer to the US according to the law.

The trend is our friend.

AB08B37B-7134-40D8-8144-3EAD03706E16.jpeg

The Limiting Factor retweeted this which would be even more impressive:

https://twitter.com/_brcooper/status/1306148483498422272?s=21

If my math is correct, that is a 10X volume increase in cell size vs. 2170’s. If Tesla also improves energy density to 300 Wh / kg. That’s only 1/12 the number of cells needed vs. using 2170’s. So a Model 3 LR would reduce down to only 368 cells from 4416, although I don’t think these will go into existing 3/Y models for a long time.
Why am I not surprised that it's an order of magnitude larger? On top of the cost savings at the pack level it will also allow for faster production. It might not be 10 times faster but with the line moving at the same rate as with 2170's the increased size alone will probably increase production around 7 or 8 times.

I really don't see Tesla allowing owners to set a maximum charge rate. It is in Tesla's interest to have the highest throughput. However, if Tesla (or someone else) were to do a sonic-style drive in eatery then a "slow" super charger could make sense.
I posted a photo of exactly that, A Sonic. With the question of if it hasn't been done it should be very soon. It got nothing. But then i post OT stuff and don't play the game of numbers so I'm on a lot of "ignore" lists.
Drive up charger/eateries on the major travel routes will be money makers especially in bad weather. The car hop plugs you in, takes your order, gives you the food, picks up the tray and unplugs you, and you are on your way.

Sorry I haven't caught up today and this may belong in another thread, but someone mentioned here back in early August a lithium mining company Piedmont Lithium Limited (PLL), with a project in North Carolina and rumors of a collaboration with Tesla. I bought a few shares then. It is up 60%+ since then and 25%+ today. Anyone know of any news?

Asking this from ignorance: Is it really the case at Sonic Burgers and its ilk that a car stays in what looks to me like an order slot for the entire time it takes to eat? Is that a tenable business model?

If so, and to keep this tenuously on topic, how might that model be tweaked in order to financially accommodate charging and different drivers’ preferences?

Reactions: Green Pete
Asking this from ignorance: Is it really the case at Sonic Burgers and its ilk that a car stays in what looks to me like an order slot for the entire time it takes to eat? Is that a tenable business model?

If so, and to keep this tenuously on topic, how might that model be tweaked in order to financially accommodate charging and different drivers’ preferences?

You have the option of eating in your car in the slot, or leaving after your food is delivered (i.e. grab and go).

Towards your second question . . . no idea.

• Funny
Reactions: JustSaying

It might be if they had any edible food. However, that was certainly the business model in the 1950s (except for those few pioneers that had a drive through--some even had canopies after you drove through so you could sit and eat).

Sorry I haven't caught up today and this may belong in another thread, but someone mentioned here back in early August a lithium mining company Piedmont Lithium Limited (PLL), with a project in North Carolina and rumors of a collaboration with Tesla. I bought a few shares then. It is up 60%+ since then and 25%+ today. Anyone know of any news?
Actually LAC is an even better candidate being close to Sparks NV - its SP also went up a lot the past months

Yep, I totally agree with you. Just not sure we will reach $1000 this year :D

And it turns out, my super conservative husband - who I have written here about before - with his entire portfolio in bonds managed by Fidelity, wants to get in the TSLA game! He actually took the trouble last week of calling Fidelity to release 100K of his money from the bonds for him to trade. He just texted me that he purchased 100 shares in his account. I had to call him to confirm that he understands that this is a volatile investment, he could lose a big chunk tomorrow - says he is OK with it. Jeez, hope I don't have to listen to continuous whining if the stock does drop :oops:

As for me, I decided to try a different strategy - sold puts @420 for next Friday with cash to cover the puts - got $38 each. If battery day turns out to be a 'sell the news' event and SP drops below 420, I will get the shares for cost basis of 382. If it is a 'mind-blown' event that propels the SP up, well I get to keep the premium.

Now the question is, should I go for some highly speculative calls for Nov/Dec expiration? These would cover battery day and P&D report. The IV is so high and the premiums are really expensive - but can be very rewarding if there is a spike in SP. Decisions decisions - such first world problems I have :cool:

My parents also got 100 shares today and I was like.... are you sure about this :oops:?

I am betting that the Roadster never had a two layer battery design, that never made sense.
So they made the floor twice as thick, and made the seats an extreme bucket style with your feet almost at the same level as your butt, just for fun? A double pack was the only design that made sense to fit twice as much capacity as a S/X100 in a smaller wheelbase even with density improvements.

Reactions: hobbes
There's rumors here in Western NC that local mining company Piedmont Lithium (PLL) is in talks with Tesla. That would make sense, I actually brought this up here over a year ago.

And there's an article about Tesla on a Piedmont Lithium-sponsored marketing site here Piedmont Lithium Limited (NASDAQ: PLL). Hmmm.

Company website is here Piedmont Lithium Limited (PLL)

Another take on this:

If this is true, I'd expect an announcement on Battery Day.

Full Disclosure: Bought a little bit of PLL, as Jack Rickard would say, "for fun".

Not an advice.
Found it! PLL is now up ~68% since this post from August 3rd. Thanks @SarahsDad ! :)

p.s. The Search function on TMC works well.

Wouldn’t work for me. No eating allowed in my Model 3 (white interior).

Found it! PLL is now up ~68% since this post. Thanks @SarahsDad ! :)

p.s. The Search function on TMC works well.

Note that Lithium Americas (ticker symbol LAC), another mining company with a mine somewhat near the Nevada GF, is up ~50% as well in the same timeframe. I'd say that any increase in either of these is just speculation for now.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster and Tim S
So they made the floor twice as thick, and made the seats an extreme bucket style with your feet almost at the same level as your butt, just for fun? A double pack was the only design that made sense to fit twice as much capacity as a S/X100 in a smaller wheelbase even with density improvements.

My guess is they had to go with a double pack to get a functioning prototype. But it is possible they already had the new cell roadmap and planned for it. There simply weren't any prototype cells available to use in the prototype car. All speculation.

So... using a rough example pack dimension of 4'x8' (~1248x2496mm):

21mm diameter cells-
Maximum number of circles with the triangular pattern inside the 1248 x 2496 rectangle is: 8015
As a 21mm cell has an area of 10.5^2 x 3.14 = 346.2mm^2, that means 8015 cells cover 2,774,673 mm^2

For a (assumed) 54mm diameter cell-
Maximum number of circles with the triangular pattern inside the 1248 x 2496 rectangle is: 1193
As a 54mm cell has an area of 27^2 x 3.14 = 2289mm^2, that means 1193 cells cover 2,730,849mm^2

So.. indeed the packing density is worse, but only very slightly at about 1.6%.
Which size is better depends on which one matches the pack dimensions better.

If the dimensions are 1242x2486, we get the opposite result:

21mm cell: 7781 cells covering 2,695,032mm^2
54mm cell: 1193 cells (same as above) covering 2,732,234mm^2 (using higher precision)

Now the 54mm cell has 1.4% higher density.