Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What did people think they were going to announce that starting October 1st the Model 3, Model Y will have new battery tech?

Yeah, I was wondering about that hype train. We know Kato road is a pilot plant for cells. PILOT PLANT. Even for Tesla, it would take 1+ years to get high volume manufacturing from that. And that's after they work with the pilot plant for a while figuring stuff out. That's the whole point of a pilot plant. To tweak the process to eek out those few extra percent of yield and performance.

I think for long term investors in tesla (not speculators) the most overlooked and underhyped of any battery day stuff will be related to manufacturing capacity, and maybe cost per kwh.

Tesla have had five years since they sold me my amazing model s 85D, and yet STILL despite massively ramping up production, they have not spent a single cent on advertising, and not managed to keep up with the number of people who want their cars. And thats despite laws trying to stop them selling them, a concerted media campaign against them, and the best (pathetic) efforts of every other car company on earth trying to make competing products...
...so...
Teslas problem is they *still cannot make their awesome products fast enough, or at the required scale*. Its clear from elons 'living on scraps' comments that tesla energy has been hobbled by the auto-segments hunger for more and more cells.
Even if tesla never invented anything new, or made any progress, or entered any new markets, they STILL need MORE batteries than they can get their hands on...

...so...

The real interesting stuff for me will be about scaling mass production of existing battery tech. If dry electrode means making more cells for the same factory size, thats awesome. If that makes them cheaper, thats even better. Any actual technical improvement in car specs is lovely... but IMHO not the real focus. The *boring* question of battery production capacity is more important than people seem to think.

Yes, people have been saying that. Some even holding off picking up their Tesla until after battery day because they think they will get a better battery.

This could also be Elon’s way of trying to sell every car that’s in inventory. It’s possible there are some people who are waiting for 22nd before pulling the trigger.

Curious though as to why Elon felt like he needed to tweet that out. Why not just wait until tomorrow? He's clearly talking about whatever they show at Battery Day not showing up in the 3 or Y until 2022. Maybe he wants to squash any speculation of 3/Y getting the battery tech but again, why not wait till tomorrow?

Because otherwise the headlines of battery day would be "Telsa admits to battery cell delay". As it is, Elon got the "bad" news out first, so battery day news can be positive.

What did people think they were going to announce that starting October 1st the Model 3, Model Y will have new battery tech?

Honestly, he is bascially saying exactly what I was expecting... Plaid/Roadster/CyberTri/etc first, probably performance/LR versions of 3/Y in 2022.

The tech will go to the high end models first and filter down as production ramps. Should be a surprise to no one.

Elon's tweet should eliminate any concern about the Osborne Effect on sales. Nobody thinking about buying now gives a care about 2022.

I bet they ramp up production faster and beat 2022 by a few months.

Exactly. Under-promise, and over-deliver.

Elon 9 months from now:
"Our Ramp on Roadrunner cell lines has gone much better than predicted and I am happy to announce that these cells have been in large-scale deployment of vehicles delivered for the past 45 days."

Something along those lines.

He's acting like a proper CEO.

Yes.

Bunch of threads in the 3 and Y forums of folks holding off purchases for BD announcements.

Many told them that was silly, that at best you'll see new stuff in Plaid S (and maybe X) on BD and almost certainly won't see the new stuff in 3/Y next year either (cept MAYBE Gigaberlin) but hope springs eternal I guess.

Federal gov't reportedly offering $500M to bring EVs to Ford’s Oakville plant
Ontario government offering $500M to Ford to retool their plant in Oakville (just West of Toronto) to EV manufacturing, if they will take it.
Let's hope this goes better than the $2.5B Ontario government grant that went to GM to keep their Oshawa plant (just East of Toronto) open...they closed within a year of taking the cash.
Governments keeping legacy auto manufacturers alive. Much more to come.

Elon 9 months from now:
"Our Ramp on Roadrunner cell lines has gone much better than predicted and I am happy to announce that these cells have been in large-scale deployment of vehicles delivered for the past 45 days."

Meh, wouldn't give him that much credit. The speculation ran this wild because of all the times he said it'll blow our minds and how insane it will be.

Because otherwise the headlines of battery day would be "Telsa admits to battery cell delay". As it is, Elon got the "bad" news out first, so battery day news can be positive.

Eh considering Tesla and Elon have never given any sort of timeline for when the new tech would go into vehicles, that's a stretch. Sure the media could try and portray it as that but they would have portrayed it negatively anyways however they can.

And I don't buy the preventing Osborne'ing because we're talking one day here. It wouldn't make any difference in saying the same thing on stage tomorrow.

In the end it makes zero difference to me if he states this in a tweet or on stage. Just peculiar timing if you ask me

Reactions: gabeincal
Lol, amazing people are surprised by the contents of that tweet(not here, but apparently investors are uninformed).

A 2022 "serious high production" lines up perfectly with Giga Berlin and Giga Texas finishing construction in mid 2021 and gearing up for mass production by the end of the 2021.

Curious though as to why Elon felt like he needed to tweet that out. Why not just wait until tomorrow? He's clearly talking about whatever they show at Battery Day not showing up in the 3 or Y until 2022. Maybe he wants to squash any speculation of 3/Y getting the battery tech but again, why not wait till tomorrow?

He got it out of the way now to avoid this dumb over reaction after the actual unveil. Very smart move!

Elon 9 months from now:

Tesla is going to have capacity for ~2m vehicles by 2022/23... That's ~200Gwh of batteries needed.