Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
To add to the news around Pana, Samsung SDI, and SK Innovation dropping, KCAC, the solid lithium electrode play by bill gates and JB is taking a trouncing too.

Also Tesla doing its own battery recycling leaves how much for JBs Redwood is an open question. Will be interesting to see how volume of batteries from other OEMs ramp up in the face of this massive onslaught from Tesla.

We surely live in interesting times!

If the macros don't get worse then I can definitely see us going back up. I think the initial reaction is mostly from "dumb" media and analysts, rushing to make comments while the actual thinkers will take some time to digest this. Ross made a good (and obvious) point.

Remember all the people who sold the day after Cybertruck reveal. #tesla - they don’t get it. $tsla - Ross Gerber

Dang, I kept putting in lower and lower buy orders and they keep hitting. Sorry folks, this slide is all my fault. Earlier today I bought at 390 and 395 and thought that was good. Then for giggles I put in another order for 376, never expecting it to fill. Maybe tomorrow that will look stupid as well. Oh well, it wasn’t much anyway. I just can’t seem to commit large amounts. With enough luck, maybe I can afford plaid.

CNBC plays the recurring theme that Elon is some sort of con.
It’s all pie in the sky etc, and the big boys are coming, and
Nothing he presented yesterday has any special value.
They parade a bunch of know nothings to opine.

Wonder how do they reconcile his engineering success at Space X.
Is that also a fraud. Does BJ also think the big boys are coming
After space x.
Anybody can send rockets and people into space and back, and take on entrenched companies like big auto and big oil, and combat climate change and so on and so on. What's the big deal? It's not like he created a machine that carbonizes water or a reality TV series - that would be impressive!

To add to the news around Pana, Samsung SDI, and SK Innovation dropping, KCAC, the solid lithium electrode play by bill gates and JB is taking a trouncing too.

Also Tesla doing its own battery recycling leaves how much for JBs Redwood is an open question. Will be interesting to see how volume of batteries from other OEMs ramp up in the face of this massive onslaught from Tesla.

We surely live in interesting times!

The macros are weighing in heavy + the market digesting Tesla's impact on other battery makers are likely a large chunk of what those battery co' are experiencing.

For the novices here (me), what is the significance of the uptick rule?

And I did google it, it just still doesn't make sense to me.

You can only short when the previous trade is up. This preven short sellers from using momentum to further chase down limit orders.

A way to tell if a downturn is caused by malicious shorts or real longs selling is to look at how the uptick rule affect the downward movement.

We did this dance, what.....2 weeks ago? The rotation out of and back into tech is just manufactured volatility.

Not IMO a coincidence that this one hit the day after a Tesla event. AAPL dragged down 4%. We'll get TSLA's 10% back within the next few business days and we'll see what happens when the big boys roll back into tech.

I'd assume they'd need to nail the dry battery electrode before rolling out in larger scale too - the alternative would be wasted capex for drying ovens and air handling, or low yields - but the anode and cathode chemistry can likely be tweaked along the way.
As a stretch guess, Panasonic can do the oven drying with old chemistry except with tabless at GIGA1 when they do the new line and updates. There is no reason for Tesla to keep this out of other factories. Tesla and Panasonic have been working together well for quite some time and Tesla hasn't leaked any Panasonic patents so I doubt Panasonic will leak Tesla's. If GIGA1 keeps all current equipment with a minor upgrade to tabless they can still get a minor range boost. I don't know if the current ovens can take the new anode/cathode widths. The laser cutting would be done as it comes out of the ovens. If there is a whole new line going in GIGA1 it can be a revised line with tabless and baking then when that one is finished an old line can be updated.... just my thoughts.

If I recall they said the range improvement for Tabless was just for that alone because of heat reduction. That is true for all chemistry and sizes. Less heat means less cooling so that alone saves on energy use and increases range.

I am just rambling of course.

As a stretch guess, Panasonic can do the oven drying with old chemistry except with tabless at GIGA1 when they do the new line and updates. There is no reason for Tesla to keep this out of other factories. Tesla and Panasonic have been working together well for quite some time and Tesla hasn't leaked any Panasonic patents so I doubt Panasonic will leak Tesla's. If GIGA1 keeps all current equipment with a minor upgrade to tabless they can still get a minor range boost. I don't know if the current ovens can take the new anode/cathode widths. The laser cutting would be done as it comes out of the ovens. If there is a whole new line going in GIGA1 it can be a revised line with tabless and baking then when that one is finished an old line can be updated.... just my thoughts.

If I recall they said the range improvement for Tabless was just for that alone because of heat reduction. That is true for all chemistry and sizes. Less heat means less cooling so that alone saves on energy use and increases range.

I am just rambling of course.

Very interested to see how long they'll have frankenstein batteries. 18650's with new anodes, 2170's with tabless, etc. The '5 pillars' 56% reduction approach is fantastic, but there's definitely 10-15% improvements they can mix in to any of the old tech. Knowing Tesla they will have several new architectures beyond this by 2030. But for the next 2-3 years I expect we'll see some combination of many things (after Sandy Munro cuts them open and shows us).