Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can only short when the previous trade is up. This preven short sellers from using momentum to further chase down limit orders.

A way to tell if a downturn is caused by malicious shorts or real longs selling is to look at how the uptick rule affect the downward movement.
A little history: In the 1920s and 1930s, short sellers would manipulate the market by shorting BELOW the market (i.e., on downticks) The crash of 1929 was magnified (and some say caused) by shorts selling on downticks. Believe it or not the SEC, in the SEC ACT of 1938, devised and implemented the uptick for for ALL shorted trades. They announced that the rule was being implemented " to protect investors against manipulative shorting". (Look this up for yourself). The uptick rule did its job for almost 70 years until, in 2007, the chairman of the SEC, Christopher Cox, announced that the uptick rule was no longer needed. To prove it, the SEC monitored trades in large companies like IBM and Ford for a few months to see if the lack of an uptick rule would change anything. And behold, it didn't matter at all, so they eliminated the uptick rule. Incredible, I know!

So let me get this straight. Tesla developed a money printer. But to save cost even more, they decided to lower the cost of the money printer as well? Like who complains about money printers being too expensive?

Don't know about you guys but I am seriously looking at what multi million dollar property I am going to retire in around 2030.
And the state with largest car market just announced they are only taking money printed in a certain way...

• Funny
Reactions: Congo Line
So let me get this straight. Tesla developed a money printer. But to save cost even more, they decided to lower the cost of the money printer as well? Like who complains about money printers being too expensive?

Don't know about you guys but I am seriously looking at what multi million dollar property I am going to retire in around 2030.

Not really. If the printer is $1000, and it costs 95 cents to print a dollar bill, and you can only print a dollar a day, that ain't that great really. You'll need a lot of printers to get rich, and for that you'll need a lot of capital to tie up in printers. It doesn't make sense. Now if you can spend $100 on a printer and it prints 100 dollar bills per day for 50 cents each, now we're talking.

• Helpful
Reactions: kbM3 and kanweg
To add to the news around Pana, Samsung SDI, and SK Innovation dropping, KCAC, the solid lithium electrode play by bill gates and JB is taking a trouncing too.

Also Tesla doing its own battery recycling leaves how much for JBs Redwood is an open question. Will be interesting to see how volume of batteries from other OEMs ramp up in the face of this massive onslaught from Tesla.

I was very surprised to hear Tesla saying they were going to do their own recycling. I wonder if they've really done work in this area, or whether it is another aspirational goal.

How would JB's Redwood Material take a trouncing? It's a private company.

Too funny on KCAC (SPAC set to acquire Quantumscape, Gate's battery cell play). That's what you get Bill when you get involved in stuff you don't know anything about :p (reference to Elon and Bill's little twitter spat).

Everybody on edge this morning I see? Perhaps we should worry less about what Uncle Elon left for us under the Battery Day tree and just embrace the true spirit of of sustainable advancement!

I miss the days when we would all turn off our laptops, share a warm cup of Teslaquila with friends and family around the fire and sing Battery Day carols as our collective societal efficiency increased exponentially.

Those were the days. Everything's all SP and LEAPs now!

Seriously, I feel so lucky to have the chance to buy TSLA at -10% after listening to the incredible advancement in the 3 years to come with battery day technology

CNBC plays the recurring theme that Elon is some sort of con.
It’s all pie in the sky etc, and the big boys are coming, and
Nothing he presented yesterday has any special value.
They parade a bunch of know nothings to opine.

Wonder how do they reconcile his engineering success at Space X.
Is that also a fraud. Does BJ also think the big boys are coming
After space x.
Yep, Tesla is the little guy just like Ant-Man.
ant-man-wasp-feat-2560x1440-c-default.jpg

• Funny
Reactions: RabidYak and adiggs
I expect market macro's to bottom in mid Oct, anywhere from 5-10% lower than they currently are. Even with declining macro's, I still think Q3 numbers will push the stock back up into 400's and by the 3rd week of October, the FOMO of S&P inclusion will restart again because everyone will know Tesla will post a profit without credits based on Q3 P/D numbers.

So I feel my window for pulling the trigger on using margin is this week. I thought the sell off would continue throughout the rest of this week, but the uptick rule was just triggered so I'm a bit worried any further sell off chances are now diminished. So decision decisions

Edit: A bummer that to get Fidelity's lowest margin rates of 4.25%, I would have to do a margin loan of 500k. Anything less and the interest rates jump to 6.5% and higher for smaller and smaller loan amounts. 500k wouldn't leverage me to the point where I would have to worry about a margin call, but still......not sure I want to be that ballsy :confused:

Edit #2: There are a couple other stocks I'd like to buy too. So not like all 500k would go into Tesla. Hmmm
Same situation as you.
Hesitating between buying tomorrow or Friday.

Reactions: BrownOuttaSpec
https://twitter.com/skorusARK/status/1308805649195773954

1/ I think Tesla just announced its plans for a 400 mile range $25,000 electric vehicle. If delivered in 2023 this would put Tesla ~3 years ahead of our original cost curve.

Thread continues in the link.
Looks like he thinks it is 50% price improvements on top of the 50% range improvements. I did not understand it that way. Opinions?
P.S. Probably I misunderstood him

Last edited:
Reactions: kbM3
In relation to yield it is possible that the big picture looks like this.
Slow bench process - yield good.
Medium speed pilot line - yield acceptable.
Faster new production line - yield poor.

It is likely that everytime they speed things up it is initially harder to achieve good yield rates.

If the yield rate on the pilot line was poor, Tesla would need to be very confident that they could solve problems before starting on the production line.

Perhaps a partial reason for Battery Day delays was achieving sufficient yields on the pilot line.

So I think that there may be an element of clever sandbagging here. Tesla has revealed the tech when they are confident that it will work, but not when the kinks are out of the production line.

Berlin Model Y and Texas Cybertruck are dependent on getting the yield rate acceptable or working around the problem.

But there is no chance of osborning any currently shipping products, now we know what is happening, people will stop speculating, bears and other naysayers will talk it down.

If as I am speculating pilot line yield is acceptable, but production line yield is poor. There has to be a reason for that, and something Tesla can do about the problem. The 12 to 18 months timeline for a solution seems reasonable, it isn't an easy problem, but Tesla seems confident that they can solve it.

My car delivery is delayed due to internal systems being down at tesla. Some internal IT mess is going on and I very much hope it’s related to the introduction of two-factor authentication for owners...

If it is because of this, it’s not the smartest move to make a change like this in the last week of a quarter....

Well, it looks like the day after was definitely the better day to buy than the day of or day before. Sell the new lives on. Congrats to everyone who kept powder dry for these low prices today.

If feels good buying low when you know that Tesla needs only invest about $93B to build out 3TWh battery prod capacity rather than $300B. Shouldn't that add about $207B to Tesla's market cap? Silly market!

Here we have CNBC and Brian Johnson of Barclays flat out lying about Elon promising a $25,000 vehicle would be delivered within 3 years back in 2018. They're referring to a 2018 interview Elon did with Marques Brownlee, in which Marques asked Elon what it would take to create a $25,000 vehicle, and Elon basically replied that it would take 3-4 years and a lot of hard work. He never gave any indication that they were working on a $25,000 vehicle, and certainly never promised one would be delivered by 2021.

Here is what Brian Johnson and CNBC are claiming: (start at 1:10). [CNBS lynx axed]

As usual, CNBC like to tell half truths and omit other relevant statement from Elon on the same topic.

Here's my July 31, 2019 summary of Elon's statements on the future Tesla Compact Car (a.k.a. Model 2):

We've received a few hints about the hypothetical $25K car, and the underlying reasons why Tesla may build it. The first hint came in Elon's answer to the 1st audience question posed during the Q&A session at the June 2018 AGM :

"Yeah, I think we'll do a compact car in less than 5 years"​

Further, in his Aug 2018 interview with MKBHD, Elon said:

if Tesla worked very hard at meeting a goal of a $25,000 car, the company may be able to "do it in three years," but there are factors which limit just how fast the vehicles can become cheaper to purchase.​

Again, volume is the key to Tesla's production strategy. If Telsa can engineer a small hatchback that achieves reasonable range on a 27 KWh pack (half an SR+), and 'Maxcell' batteries further reduce 'per-KWh' cost, then this product directly threatens sales of millions of small vehicles each year in Europe and Asia (1st Tesla in India?).

Tesla needs massive scale to allow cheaper purchase prices for its vehicles. The world-wide market for the Model 2 is likely greater than 3M units per year. Tesla will not shy away from that market; indeed it is their mission.

Hints aside, what is different today? With the 2019Q2 conference call, we see that Elon now intends to either force the industry into the wholesale adoption of EVs, or Tesla will simply kill their businesses. No quarter to be given. The Corrolla's and Polo's of this world have 5 years max before they get squeezed out of the marketplace.

I suspect that "Model 2" will be prominent in Master Plan - Part Trois (expected 2020Q1). But Elon is now convinced that other automakers and gov'ts are dragging their feet, and Tesla needs to transform the industry on its own. His plan to scale up TWh-scale battery production for the effort is the opening salvo.

Again, from the Q&A session at the June 2018 AGM, answering the 1st audience question, Elon said:

"Yeah, I think we'll do a compact car in less than 5 years"

That was June 2018 so 5 years from then would put start of production for the $25K Tesla Compact Car (a.k.a. Model 2) in 2023H1. And what did Elon say during his Battery Day presentation? 2023. Sounds like things are going remarkably close to the Master Plan, and the timeline is playing out as planned years ago.

Yeah. CNBC: "Math isn't just hard, it's down right deceitful."

Cheers!