Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Jonas believes nationalism will kick in later this decade to protect their manufacturers against Tesla.

I would assume some of this will happen, but obviously not as drastic as what Adam Jonis predicts.

Geo-political risks are accounted for in any decent global operating strategy. China is too important for Tesla not to monitor, influence, and mitigate any risks that could cause production to drop significantly. AJ is just spreading more FUD.

Anyone trading that S&P news just now and not realizing P/D likely out in the morning would have to be probably the most uninformed trader in the history of wall st.........unsurprisingly I wouldn't be shocked if that's what happened o_O

Tesla's China sales will see a 'steady decline' to nothing beyond 2030: Adam Jonas

It's amazing how Adam Jonas can discuss many many things, and then make one pretty far out there stupid prediction at the end, and *that* is the headline yahoo finance uses.

Here is my prediction.

Can you imagine as more and more people wake up to how wrong these analysts usually are... especially in the case of TSLA where Morgan Stanley's customers missed out on a 10x return listening to guys like Adam Jonas using his imagination instead of facts.
I see services like Robinhood tied to robo-advisors fueled by machine learning eventually taking over and:

Morgan Stanley will see a 'steady decline' to nothing beyond 2030

Valid as anything...

Wow as ridiculous as this seems, this article might have been the reason the stock dropped? Algos probably saw the words decline & nothing and went crazy?. And to top it all he said these words two days ago. What crazy times

Jonas believes nationalism will kick in later this decade to protect their manufacturers against Tesla.

I would assume some of this will happen, but obviously not as drastic as what Adam Jonis predicts.
He's also assuming that there will be no additional Terafactories in Asia. Basically, he can see as far as the end of his nose (Thinking about it, that might not be such a good example as his nose must be pretty long by now).

Anyone trading that S&P news just now and not realizing P/D likely out in the morning would have to be probably the most uninformed trader in the history of wall st.........unsurprisingly I wouldn't be shocked if that's what happened o_O
Wouldn't be shocked to see $TSLA in the red tomorrow for a bit as well...and then either the short covering or speculative buyers coming in at the end for Q3 #'s.

Until we're able to predict where a debate will go 10 minutes in, I wouldn't give much weight to predicting the impact of politics 10 years out.

Idle thought, if P&D numbers are really good (above expectations) - I would prefer it was released on Monday morning rather than Friday.
It will be released before the market opens tomorrow, if it's released and I think there's about a 90% chance it will be. Not a heck of a lot different than releasing it this afternoon, except it's going to probably make me get up earlier ;-)

Geo-political risks are accounted for in any decent global operating strategy. China is too important for Tesla not to monitor, influence, and mitigate any risks that could cause production to drop significantly. AJ is just spreading more FUD.
There are only two possible items that will make Tesla lose significant market share in China: first, it China reverses course and nationalizes all businesses; and second, if the Govt. decides Teslas are bad things and they count against a Chinese citizen's Social Credit Score (a real thing that scares the crap out of me https://time.com/collection/davos-2019/5502592/china-social-credit-score/). Just my humble opinion, but both are possible.

You guys. . . .

We were up 4% during the day and down 1.2% for a few minutes AH.

Everyone . . . go get a beer or some wine and enjoy things. ;)

duty_calls.png

Normally I would laugh at a prediction like that, and I still don't think it is LIKELY.

But, it's China . . . and very weird things have been known to happen to foreign corporations there.

I would still put this as a "extremely not likely", but unlike North America or Europe, I could not assign a 0% probability to it.
It's not like any analyst has ever suggested that would happen to Ford or GM though.

Reactions: Tim S and bkp_duke
There are only two possible items that will make Tesla lose significant market share in China: first, it China reverses course and nationalizes all businesses; and second, if the Govt. decides Teslas are bad things and they count against a Chinese citizen's Social Credit Score (a real thing that scares the crap out of me https://time.com/collection/davos-2019/5502592/china-social-credit-score/). Just my humble opinion, but both are possible.
While possible--similar to an astroid strike tomorrow IMHO--they would lose a lot of face after promoting Tesla so strongly.

Reactions: BornToFly
Wow as ridiculous as this seems, this article might have been the reason the stock dropped? Algos probably saw the words decline & nothing and went crazy?. And to top it all he said these words two days ago. What crazy times

It popped up as the first article in the Apple Stock app News section, and then right with it 5 points was lost from After Hours.

Totally crazy, but yea, it was pretty the drop and the article happened together.

• Informative
Reactions: wipster
There are only two possible items that will make Tesla lose significant market share in China: first, it China reverses course and nationalizes all businesses; and second, if the Govt. decides Teslas are bad things and they count against a Chinese citizen's Social Credit Score (a real thing that scares the crap out of me How China Is Using Big Data to Create a Social Credit Score). Just my humble opinion, but both are possible.

Yes, definitely possible and that’s why Tesla will monitor the risk and negotiate with US and China to protect their interests to whatever extent possible.