Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any news on the heat pump for the Model 3? Can't seem to find anything on this on the official site.

No, but I would have to think so. This is almost a 10% improvement in range. 322 to 353. Likely a combination of the battery chemistry and heatpump.

Also, black trim is shown on the website for Model 3 as well as the Uberturbine wheels for the performance.

• Informative
Reactions: Andy O
“Having completed conceptual and design engineering work on Model S, Peter has decided to step away to tend to personal matters in the U.K.,”. This was the official statement from Tesla when Peter left.

And, Peter at least seems to be comfortable stating that he didn't design Model S "Model S was actually styled before I joined Tesla. My task was to retrospectively fit all the bits into it. "

One other instance I wish Elon spent time on something useful, which I believe is his default mode, rather than trying to take a dig at Peter.
If Peter (or the author/ editor) is using his history at Tesla to validate the Air, it is useful for the public to know if that history is accurate.

Elon responded
Rawlinson didn’t design Model S. Prototype was done before he joined & he left us in the lurch just as things got tough, which was not cool. He did make some contributions to body/chassis engineering, but not to powertrain, battery, electronics or software.
to the Sept 8 Teslarati article which stated:
He designed the Model S in 2009 after he was brought on by CEO Elon Musk.
On the same day, the same author published this on Teslarati:
Rawlinson was a Tesla employee and started his work in 2009 with a complete redesign of the Model S. After a sitdown with Musk at the tail end of his first work week with Tesla, he advised the CEO that the Model S needed to be canceled and redesigned.

Compare that with this Teslarati article from April 21st by the same author which quoted Peter saying said
“Model S was actually styled before I joined Tesla. My task was to retrospectively fit all the bits into it. It was a pretty interesting intellectual puzzle to design a car from the inside out,” he says.
And also reported
Peter Rawlinson spent his illustrious automotive sector career at Jaguar and Lotus before joining Tesla in 2008.

So S was designed before he joined Tesla in 2008.

This is pure speculation, but there may have been some design conflict between Elon and Peter. Elon wanted it this way and Peter wanted it that way and neither would give in.

In other words, Peter had the capability to contribute a lot but didn't because he was driving his own agenda and refused to do what Elon wanted.
From watching the videos at the time, I'm pretty sure the sticking point was the heat pump. Peter appeared to be big on it, but I think that Elon didn't want it because it would raise the price above the $50K that was stated. (You may recall that many of the now-standard items were a separate tech package, and there was a 40 kWh battery to make the price target.) Mostly I think the issue between the two was good being the enemy of perfect.

• Helpful
Reactions: Criscmt and Lessmog
I thought there were some hardware differences, in the charging system, between Tesla's sold in Canada, and those sold in the USA.

Is this no longer the case?
As far as I know, it never was the case. I drove the 2013 S to Canada and never had any charging issues. The differences are mainly language, always on DRLs, and a few parts that needed to be Canada spec. The only thing I can think about charging is that a CSA label might be required, but no difference in the actual hardware.

Jim Cramer recommends investors be ready to do some buying before Election Day

Excerpts:
“The charts, as interpreted by the legendary Tom DeMark, suggest the Dow — and the rest of the market — could have one last move higher going into the end of the week, followed by a potentially ugly sell-off,”

“That same method that tells DeMark we’re cruising for a bruising also tells him that it might only last two or three weeks, with a possible bottom close to Election Day,” he continued. “So, you’re going to have to pull the trigger and do some buying.”

My personal feelings about this source aside, my gut feeling agrees that there could be big sell off heading into the election. Followed by a surge after it is settled. I am adding to dry powder to be prepared to buy if this does happen. Perhaps we get one last buying chance below $400?

No, but I would have to think so. This is almost a 10% improvement in range. 322 to 353. Likely a combination of the battery chemistry and heatpump.

Also, black trim is shown on the website for Model 3 as well as the Uberturbine wheels for the performance.

But I don't see a heated steering wheel yet, which is a pitty. I know of two people who will not order a Model 3 because of this (and that's three if I include myself). In California it may not be an issue, but in many parts of Europa and Canada it's an important feature. It can't be very expensive to add.

As far as I know, it never was the case. I drove the 2013 S to Canada and never had any charging issues. The differences are mainly language, always on DRLs, and a few parts that needed to be Canada spec. The only thing I can think about charging is that a CSA label might be required, but no difference in the actual hardware.

Only recently has the possibility of importing an S to Canada existed:
New policy on moving your Tesla to Canada?

All Teslas inadmissible for import into Canada? (Update: US cars can now be imported to Canada)

But I don't see a heated steering wheel yet, which is a pitty. I know of two people who will not order a Model 3 because of this (and that's three if I include myself). In California it may not be an issue, but in many parts of Europa and Canada it's an important feature. It can't be very expensive to add.

81Lear+ccJL._AC_UL320_.jpg

This the first of the first world problems. I don't know how humans could survive without heating steering wheels until now.

I know we say this all the time, but legacy auto is toast. This model 3 update just increases the gap.
Question: If the market is convinced by the "quantum leap" Tesla will achieve autonomy and Tesla announces ride-hailing with drivers in the next 6-9 months (as Tasha Keeney suggests), how much do you think TSLA will soar?
Regardless of how the software works, that will take some time. Early users will need to really take it through the paces. If it's anywhere near as good as Elon as hinted at then I think it makes full FSD believable. (finally)

According to Fred's article, the steering wheel is heated now! We were waiting on changing my wife's X to a Y for this very reason.

We’re half way through the first month of Q4 but no ships seem to have left the west coast yet with destination Europe. I know of one ship that left for south east Asia. Is Tesla prioritizing Asian deliveries in the first weeks of the quarter or have they shifted to east coast shipping for European deliveries?

Few guys on Twitter were speculating and they believe that Tesla is shipping from the east coast.

Also I just read this morning that Europe is showing delivery times in February? Anybody confirm this?

Paging @Krugerrand for demand issues :)

According to Fred's article, the steering wheel is heated now! We were waiting on changing my wife's X to a Y for this very reason.
Note:
From Fred's recent articles, it appears the Y is not confirmed to have a heated steering wheel (interior photos have not updated like the 3's have)
Tesla boosts Model Y range - Electrek
Interestingly, Model Y is not getting some of the interior modifications that Tesla made official with the Model 3 today despite the two models basically sharing an interior until now.

The interior pictures of the Model Y in the updated configurator still show the old center console.