Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
News from the Netherlands. A new version of the Toyota Mirai hydrogen car is on sale. Cheaper (same as top end red Model 3) and longer range (about 650 km) than the previous version. As there is hardly any gas (literally) pump, they come to pick your car up and fill it if you live within 50 km from the H2 gas pump. Well, that will not help for reducing the carbon footprint.

Still, the car may sell, as companies can get deductibles significantly better than EVs. And you can distinguish yourself from the hoi poloi driving Tesla’s or Zeus forbid id3s.

Last edited:
Is seems to me that people don’t understand that FSD is not just a piece of software that as soon as a company gets to solve it, it will just work on any machine?

They will need the machine/s to be able to run the FSD, not just the software. It’s the machine with the software that is the complete package.

What’s up with this concern that “ omg, someone else will solve full self driving and TSLA will drop!!!!” ?

People don’t seem to get that tradition oems can’t even do a freaking OTA, but somehow overnight they will make machines to drive themselves?

4D chess is not checkers, is it?

I liked what Elon said in regards to batteries:” we are the biggest buyers of batteries, where do you think is the 1st place that someone will go if they have a better battery?”

if someone will truly solve FSD before Tesla, will come to the only car manufacturer that has a car on the road NOW that can run that. And the only manufacturer that has 3 ginormous factories getting built, the only manufacturer that has the best battery technology that needs to be scaled... the list goes on.

I might be wrong, so please school me! :) TIA
Tesla will release FSD first and that will make them difficult to beat, imho.

However, energy and transportation are such large industries of such great geopolitical consequence that they seem to have gravitational fields that distort the rules of economics.

In these industries, powerful thumbs have always and will continue to be put on scales everywhere.

Room will be made for others.

• Disagree
Reactions: Hrtme
I sincerely hope STMP does not make a habit of taking others’ insights, repackaging them with an occasional “That’s a good point!”, and asking people to contribute to his own kitty. There are other ways to Solve Your Money Problem.

As long as it’s once in a very great while, and you bring your own insight to the table, then I’ll not criticize again. It’s always a pleasure to re-listen to Peter Lynch.

The first or second time I heard about Peter Lynch it was on STMP (earlier video). I then sought out more info and wished I found Peter Lynch earlier. So for me at least, Steven's videos of this ilk are useful to a new audience, he's added value by applying to Tesla specifically (as a lecturer might) and I don't begrudge if he gets an income from it. I can point others to these succinct videos.

Similarly, Dave Lee mentioned briefly - "Common Stocks and Uncommon Profits" (Philip A Fisher) and I've just started reading it.

Both Youtubers seem honest straightforward people.

Better this than dishonest shills cynically persuading innocents to buy whatever their advertisers want.

As much as we chide ICE manufs for having their heads in the sane, Toyota's relentless pursuit of hydrogens bugs me probably just as much. The efficiencies just are not there with this fuel, and they have to know it, yet pride/arrogance/stupidity/greed won't let them abandon it like they should and move to full electrification.
It's more like the many layers of management that did this to them. There's just no way for those at the very top to get unfiltered information.

Stock splits are a powerful thing in the psychology of investing. People have very short term memory and adjust to the "new price" quickly so SPs under $400 do seem like a bargain. Even thinking about TSLA at $2,000 seems like a deal when you consider the future roadmap. Just look at MSFT, which I think is trading at a split adjusted price of something like $15,000 a share. I could see TSLA at that level someday.

In 1986 MSFT IPO'ed at $21/share. Every share purchased before the first split has turned into 288 shares now.

The current trading price of $216.51 translates to a split-adjusted price of $62,354.88 per IPO share ($216.51 X 288 shares). This means every $1000 invested at the IPO is worth $3 million now. Actually, more due to dividends. And far more if those dividends were re-invested in the stock.

The old adage "What goes up, must come down" might be true but perhaps not in your lifetime. Sometimes it just keeps going up.:)

Last edited:
Given all that it seems that Berlin is about the same speed as Shanghai and Austin is slightly quicker.

My perception is that Germany was (and is) progressing faster than Texas. Shocking, eh?

The true tell-tail will be the speed of building construction, utilities and provisioning. I suspect Germany might win this one too judging by their blazing progress so far.

I generally like to root for the underdogs but I'm rooting for Texas to win this one. Why do I call Germany the "underdog"? Because the perception is that Germany has excessive bureaucracy and regulations that make progress difficult while Texas is free as a bird. But, based on what I've seen so far, the construction in Germany looks better planned and far more efficient. This is a function of the efficiency of the contractors, not a lack of government regulation. At the Texas site I see poor routes chosen by equipment operators and poor locations chosen for repetitive tasks. Efficiency is impacted greatly by repetitive actions that are not well optimized in time and space. Texas seems rather poor in this regard. In Germany they seem to work smarter, not necessarily harder, but faster.

I have Cybertrucks on order so I hope TX gets their brains together.

Last edited:
Largest U.S. Pension Bought Up EV Stocks Nikola and NIO, and Zoom

Calipers, largest public US pension fund ($400B under management), during Q3 bought:
Nikola, their current total 381,439 shares worth $8.1M
NIO, their current total 2.3M shares worth $102.9M
Zoom, their current total 653,764 shares $263.8M, and
Tesla, their current total 1.69M shares worth $690.4M
Kudos to Calipers for recognizng Tesla, however a bit miffed they would still be adding to Nikola. Maybe they are just guessing?
So Calipers now has 0.0017% of their portfolio in Tesla. Gadzooks! Imagine if they were really on the ball.

Edit: Corrected link to Barron's article

Last edited:
Largest U.S. Pension Bought Up EV Stocks Nikola and NIO, and Zoom

Calipers, largest public US pension fund ($400B under management), during Q3 bought:
Nikola, their current total 381,439 shares worth $8.1M
NIO, their current total 2.3M shares worth $102.9M
Zoom, their current total 653,764 shares $263.8M, and
Tesla, their current total 1.69M shares worth $690.4M
Kudos to Calipers for recognizng Tesla, however a bit miffed they would still be adding to Nikola. Maybe they are just guessing?
So Calipers now has 0.0017% of their portfolio in Tesla. Gadzooks! Imagine if they were really on the ball.

Edit: Corrected link to Barron's article

AH HA!!!

Now we know one of the driving forces behind the incomprehensible run-up in NKLA and NIO recently, despite bad press (for NKLA).

Well, one more reason for me to hate pensions I guess: piss-poor management and stock picking.