Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Bloomberg: Tesla's No. 1 fan works for its biggest rival
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

From the article:
"Investors who joined Volkswagen AG’s annual spending update this week may have wondered whether they had the dial-in details right. Chief Executive Officer Herbert Diess was there to explain how VW will deploy its massive 150 billion-euro ($178 billion) investment budget over the next five years, but he spent much of the time talking about another carmaker based thousands of miles away in California.

Tesla Inc. was mentioned 31 times by management and analysts during the near two-hour presentation. That’s how much Elon Musk’s electric-car venture is occupying VW’s minds these days, and those of its investors."

User name checks out!

Edit: was quoting someone a few of you may not be able to see. If you can't, nevermind.
Buffet embodies all that is wrong with our current "capitalist" model. The pursuit of money/ profits as an end in itself. The other great embodiement is Jack Welch of GE fame who was famously lauded all the time for "profits" - except the profits were made by buying perfectly good companies, then disemboweling them and getting all the cash out of them as quickly as possible. The resulting carnage took a while to show up ... but here we are. No longer the top company for managerial trainees or engineers either, but tops for "financial" engineers.

To get back to Buffet, somebody will probably write a post mortem, but his success was also mostly 'financial" maneuvers, getting stock at low prices in pre arranged deals, etc. I bet he couldn't tell you the difference between ICE direct and carburetor injection, of even what a good steak should be like. Sorry for the personal digs - the saddest feeling I have these days when I think about it (not much anymore, but that's another OT), is the *poor* taste or lack of taste, culture and common sense most of our leaders, elected or de facto in power.

PS (added later) - the pursuit of profits is fine, but it does depends on the framework/ environment these profits are made in. Destroying companies via (naked) short selling is the easiest to see in the financial area. But does it really make sense? Profits need to include damage to the environment and sickness it creates for others, now and in the future.So huge we all are mostly inured to them

You know nothing about "Buffet."

He is known for just the opposite of what you present. He buys family businesses who will only sell to him because he DOESN'T restructure them and strip out the assets. He only shuts down businesses if there is no hope of at least breaking even in the future - which has happened very few times and was caused by factors other than poor management. He doesn't resell businesses he's bought either - which is the standard venture capital model. No hostile takeovers either.

He DOES buy stock on the open market in good companies selling at big discounts to their value. Was buying AAPL at 10X earnings unethical? He DOES run a tight ship - no wasting money at his businesses. He IS 100% trustworthy.

He does NO financial engineering. BRK's borrowing is often in their financing units to re-lend that money consumers to buy things like their homes. Very little leverage. Tons of cash. He doesn't give guidance, have quarterly conference calls or manipulate the financials to boost reported profits. He paints an unbiased view of the companies strengths and weaknesses and presents all the information an investor needs to value the business.

In an earlier post I stated that he does nothing that would give an opening to anyone for any kind of criticism. Even then, there are those who attack him for no other reason than his success.

@Artful Dodger? Submitted for QotD consideration.
Mischief managed:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2020-11-19.10-09.png

Cheers!

Cracking 500 was like tipping over a coke machine, ya gotta rock it back and forth a few times!!!

good work everyone!!
This was typed before we hit $500 I'm sure. I pressed F5 the moment we hit it and you had time to type this entire sentence?

You don't fool me.:)

Either way, let's burn some shorts now that we've busted through (EDIT) $2500 a share (yeah I still think in old money).

Last edited:
Easy peasy. There now is no ceiling.

These clowns have been squirming around for years creating greater and greater pressure. Shorting, misinformation, snubbing. When are they gonna learn?

All their collusion has done is double their cost basis at inclusion. Can't imagine where we're going from here.

This was typed before we hit $500 I'm sure. I pressed F5 the moment we hit it and you had time to type this entire sentence?

You don't fool me.

Either way, let's burn some shorts now that we've busted through $3000 a share (yeah I still think in old money).
You're right. Big Time should be given a time out by The Momerators. I literally saw the stock price in the $499 area and wrote out my post of "BAM 500" and sat there for 30 seconds waiting for the "5" to appear. And hit the post button within 3 seconds of it appearing.

Bloomberg: Tesla's No. 1 fan works for its biggest rival
Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

From the article:
"Investors who joined Volkswagen AG’s annual spending update this week may have wondered whether they had the dial-in details right. Chief Executive Officer Herbert Diess was there to explain how VW will deploy its massive 150 billion-euro ($178 billion) investment budget over the next five years, but he spent much of the time talking about another carmaker based thousands of miles away in California.

Tesla Inc. was mentioned 31 times by management and analysts during the near two-hour presentation. That’s how much Elon Musk’s electric-car venture is occupying VW’s minds these days, and those of its investors."

Sun Tzu- Art of War: Know your enemy!