Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Headline read "Goldman Sachs Upgrades Tesla (TSLA) to Buy, PT to $780 on Improved LT Sales Outlook and Margin Expansion" anybody got the full details?

'Big Short' investor Michael Burry reveals he's short Tesla, tells Elon Musk to issue more stock at its 'ridiculous price'

If you’re wondering if new shorts are jumping in now, while an oncoming steamroller is approaching, the answer is yes.

Word! And I don't usually say this, but "I hope he's naked". :p

RIP Burrymoney. We'll put it to good use.

Cheers!

Here's an article from the NY Times about biomining experiments currently being conducted on the International Space Station; this (directly and indirectly) relates to SpaceX, Tesla and Elon's quest to colonize space.

These Microbes May Help Future Martians and Moon People Mine Metals

The following are a few excerpts:

"Space colonists, like people on Earth, will need what are known as rare earth elements, which are critical to modern technologies. These 17 elements, with daunting names like yttrium, lanthanum, neodymium and gadolinium, are sparsely distributed in the Earth’s crust. Without the rare earths, we wouldn’t have certain lasers, metallic alloys and powerful magnets that are used in cellphones and electric cars. But mining them on Earth today is an arduous process. It requires crushing tons of ore and then extracting smidgens of these metals using chemicals that leave behind rivers of toxic waste water.

Dr. Cockell and his colleagues wanted to know whether these microbes would still live and function as effectively on Mars, where the pull of gravity on the surface is just 38 percent of Earth’s, or even when there is no gravity at all. So they sent some of them to the International Space Station last year.

The next SpaceX cargo mission to the space station, currently scheduled for December, will carry a follow-up experiment called BioAsteroid. Instead of basalt, the match box-size containers will contain pieces of meteorites and fungi. They, rather than bacteria, will be the agents they test for breaking down the rock.

'I think eventually, you could scale this up to do it on Mars,' Dr. Cockell said."

I wonder if biomining is being considered by Tesla here on Earth for their mining plans--it has the potential to be cleaner and more cost efficient than current mining techniques. And Elon did say he didn't want to divulge all the secret ingredients during Battery Day...

Pretty sure I've seen this as well. That without a new decision there can only be 2 billion shares. I think we are now over 1 billion which means there can not be a 2:1 split without this vote.

If Tesla is planning an new split or not shouldn't make a difference. It's always useful to have the possibility if needed so I'll be surprised if this isn't brought to a vote at the next annual meeting.

If it's possible/legal to do a vote outside an annual meeting it would be a great idea to do it now. Just a vote that they are allowed to create more shares. Not that they necessarily should right now. If it's allowed just do the vote online next week. It would create panic with shorts, funds, MMs and the S&P.

Would be so much fun to watch.

Edit: Here's link that says 1.1 billion shares as of 9/30

Tesla Shares Outstanding 2009-2020 | TSLA

That site is bogus. Not criticizing ByeByeJohnny for finding a bad source, but those who rated his post informative. Y'all need to put your thinking caps on. That site listed 2016-2019 outstanding shares as 800+ million, when we all know there was a 5:1 split in 2020. That's literally impossible. Instead go to the source, Tesla itself.

On the first page of Tesla's Q3 10-Q filing:
"As of October 20, 2020, there were 947,900,733 shares of the registrant’s common stock outstanding"

And for reference, here's the first page of Tesla's Q2 10-Q filing:
"As of July 20, 2020, there were 186,361,726 shares of the registrant’s common stock outstanding."

So there's still room to issue a 2:1 split, but I doubt they would do that. Tesla needs to maintain some head-room to issue ISO's (incentive stock options) for any new-hires Tesla adds to the payroll.

This is all too funny. Where’s Lodger with his Kabuki memes?
kabuki-dude-puts.jpg

When do you think Tesla started looking at the 4680 cell?
There were clues as soon as Elon started to say the production Semi might have a maximum range of up to 600 miles. That's a 20% increase, which is easily obtained with the base technology intrinsic to the 4680 architechure (tabless cell; structural pack).

That was early 2018 when Elon started to suggest this increased rge, I think.

Cheers!

Last edited:
947,195 shares of TSLA outstanding, according to Yahoo Finance, so a 2:1 split is possible w/o a vote of the shareholders.

If 2B shares is the limit, Elon's recent compensation plan takes a 2:1 split off the table (without other actions).
101.3M (post split) shares to potentially grant, putting the combined total over 1 billion shares.

As do the other option based plans: 52M earmarked for the 2019 equity incentive plan, 5.3M (75% met) under the 2014 performance based awards, and 2012 CEO compensation plan (90% of 26.4M).

Data from: https://ir.tesla.com/_flysystem/s3/sec/000156459020047486/tsla-10q_20200930-gen.pdf

Pretty sure I've seen this as well. That without a new decision there can only be 2 billion shares. I think we are now over 1 billion which means there can not be a 2:1 split without this vote.

If Tesla is planning an new split or not shouldn't make a difference. It's always useful to have the possibility if needed so I'll be surprised if this isn't brought to a vote at the next annual meeting.

If it's possible/legal to do a vote outside an annual meeting it would be a great idea to do it now. Just a vote that they are allowed to create more shares. Not that they necessarily should right now. If it's allowed just do the vote online next week. It would create panic with shorts, funds, MMs and the S&P.

Would be so much fun to watch.

Edit: Here's link that says 1.1 billion shares as of 9/30

Tesla Shares Outstanding 2009-2020 | TSLA
Can they do a partial split? I've never heard of such a thing but that doesn't mean anything.

1.9 for 1

(Sorry if this is already been mentioned but I'm many pages behind. Man, you guys are moving fast!)