Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
0DAEA754-4FAF-4238-9F21-17499208C249.jpeg

I am trying to figure out what "OG" means.
The FAQ: TSLA Investor Discussions has definitions of many acroymns, but not this one.
I have my own list; that I plan to add to the master list at some point.
I asked my wife, she said, "Oh God".
google says "incredible exceptional"; maybe that is what this means.
still not sure.

"OG" often is used to mean 'Original German', esp. in the car/restoration world. Used in a sentence: "That crappy chinese knockoff sheetmetal just does not fit like a proper OG part".

Nichts zu danken! ;)

EDIT - Gali has seen an Apple pack made by Toshiba.

Killer battery - 47 Wh/kg from their website... Lithium Titanate, zero Cobalt & 800V.

Product name 2.9Ah cell 10Ah cell
Rated capacity
2.9Ah 10Ah
Nominal voltage 2.4V 2.4V
Output Power 520W*(SOC 50%, 10s, 25℃) 1800W*(SOC50%, 10s, 25℃)
Input Power 410W*(SOC 50%, 10s, 25℃) 1500W*(SOC 50%, 10s, 25℃)
Volumetric energy density 85Wh/L 92Wh/L
Weight energy density 46Wh/kg 47Wh/kg
Dimensions W63 × D14 × H97 mm W116 × D22 × H106 mm
Weight Approx. 150g Approx. 510g

Lithium Titanate does not have a high energy density, almost useless for car batteries. At 47 Wh/kg that is 20 kg/kWh or 2 tonnes for a 100 kWh battery

Toshiba has a higher energy density version of their Titanate SCiB cell. If they've improved it further than what is advertised it might approach the level of LiFePO4.

upload_2020-12-23_20-49-53.png

Can you share which tool you use to search for such options?

Sure, I usually use the oft-maligned thinkorswim from TDA, which works well enough for me.

It has some option-scanning tools, but this type of vertical is easy to spot by just perusing the option chain. Fairly low IV, coupled with some personal conviction that the next 6 months will be good for Tesla (and hopefully TSLA as well) led me to see if I could find an ITM call spread that would be a double or so.

Everyone trading options should be using an options calculator to inform their decisions. This is the risk curve for that Jul '21 550-600 debit call spread I was talking about, at a $25.20 price.
upload_2020-12-23_21-7-22.png

upload_2020-12-23_21-8-18.png

The graph of profit vs. share price's blue line is the return at expiration on 7/17/21, the purple line is the current return (12/24). The cursor is on the 575.20 breakeven point at expiration.

By moving the cursor around, you can quickly see the max loss is $25,200, and the max gain is $24,800, for our 10 contract trade.

That's a pretty simple example, but if you start adding other existing or potential positions in, the curves at various points in time get more complex, and you get a more complete picture of where and when you have risk:
upload_2020-12-23_20-49-41.png

Ok, anything further I'll take to the options thread, and hopefully this post doesn't draw mod ire, as I realize this is a bit too comprehensive an answer to the simple question that spawned it. I intend it as a follow-up PSA for those newer to options trading that it's far more complex than holding stock, so do your homework. That is, indeed, an advice.

Jordan tonight following up on Gali’s piece: range limited, needs cost decline, but charges fast.

listening to this and thinking who wants to buy a car that has such a short range that even at 6-minute charge you’d be stopping so often if taking a trip? I have no idea if Gali, and listened to his earlier joint video with Jordan, actually saw an Apple battery or someone feeding him a fake lead. To me a 67kW battery sounded more like a hybrid car battery maybe for Toyota or Nissan but who knows.

I'm really happy for the SP to consolidate in the mid $650's, would be very healthy IMO.

Full disclosure, I did sell a pile of March $780 covered calls at close last Thursday - could already rebuy them and pocket $40k,, but that would be boring. Instead I sold a January $617.50 put with the cash I has sitting there. I'd be well happy to get 100 shares at that price, even better if it got executed early...

And why do I "risk" my shares (not all of them, BTW), because I need some cash out, so will be trading the wheel for the next few years.

---

Mod: I tried reading this post 6 times, but keep being distracted by the 'disturbing' image on the left. Need to check the forum rules for small print prohibiting such pictures :p
OtherMod:~~~I’ll suggest looking under the Truth in Advertising clause~~~
Ex-mod: Would people be objecting if @Lycanthrope happened to be an attractive female? Objecting is sexist. --ggr
YIKES! You had me worried for a second there.

• Funny
Reactions: Tslynk67
Remember last Dec 23rd how we were all placing limit orders for 420.69 (pre-split) and having a laugh? If we only knew what was about to happen...

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the 2019-2020 Investors' Roundtable

Probably one of my most brainless profitable move.I bought 4 shares originally. Then after the sp moved past 420, I didn't like having odd lots in my portfolio so I bought 96 shares more... The weirdest 200k+ profit I ever made.That' s when I understand what wallstreetbets is about

He was approximately in middle school when the OG bulls invested...

What's "OG" stand for? I dislike this over-use of acronyms/abbreviations. And please don't tell me it's an abbreviation for "original". That would follow no convention that I'm familiar with.

Here's the thing with Gali: He doesn't have much technical knowledge but he has an amazing mind. That's how he was able to find Tesla and invest in it before most people who contribute here. Some people will be jealous of his fantastic gains because he has held TSLA with an iron fist - he doesn't sell, he buys more as he can afford it. I can't believe people are accusing him of being anti-Tesla or knowingly spreading FUD because there are not many people in this world who care more about the way Elon is changing the world for the better or who have more pure motivations. At worst he is being unknowingly used by people with bad motives but even that is not clear yet.

I frequent wsb. Good job sir. I bought calls the morning after s&p was announced. Some 580s and 590s expiring tomorrow.

At peak, last Friday, I was up about $60k. Sold 2/6 that Friday. Sold the rest Monday and Tuesday this week and ended up profiting about $35k. Wish I sold on Friday, but I'm not upset about it. It was a calculated risk for me to hold through the weekend.

If TSLA rockets up tomorrow, I'll be a bit annoyed I sold already, but I have shares and other calls, so it's all good.

Probably one of my most brainless profitable move.I bought 4 shares originally. Then after the sp moved past 420, I didn't like having odd lots in my portfolio so I bought 96 shares more... The weirdest 200k+ profit I ever made.That' s when I understand what wallstreetbets is about