Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nothing, but first you have to have friends, then a subset of those friends with the Tesla that you want to test drive. (If you want to test a M3 a friend with an X can't help you.) Finally friends who will let you (insurance and what not).

Turo is another option.

And if Tesla adds a referral program for test drives given, this may be a non-issue.

For those concerned, I'm pretty sure Tesla won't eliminate test drives. I think what will happen, at the very least, is they will be offered at service centers. I have a feeling they may implement a system where they will come to your house for a test drive.

If I were Elon, that's what I'd do. Still no need to pay for the brick and mortar of a store, but you can still offer test drives at service centers with minimal additional expense. And scheduling a test drive at one's home would be a very good way to get cars sold.

Tesla can still do all of this even without physical stores.

That seems unlikely but, if true, I agree it will negatively affect demand. When I bought my S in 2015, I had researched the car a bunch and read various reviews on it. However, I was coming from an Audi Q5 and had never had an electric car before. I definitely wanted to drive it before buying it. There was no option to test drive in Wisconsin, with the nearest store in Illinois, about a 3 hour drive for me. When I was on a trip to Fort Lauderdale, I was finally able to test drive the S. Within a week of that test drive, I ordered one. I had no issues at all about ordering it online and having it delivered to my house, but the test drive was important to me. Now, that was 4 years ago and there are a lot more Teslas on the roads, so it is much more likely now to know someone who has one that you can drive. Yet in Wisconsin, there still are not that many Teslas around. I think it's important for Tesla to continue to offer test drives.

Madison is ripe with Teslas these days. What I would love is a Service Center.

BTW if you haven't already you should join the WI Tesla FB group: Wisconsin Tesla Owners & Enthusiasts

There is also the alpha male thing that is a deeply embedded thing. Making the most noise is one factor in establishing an alpha position in a group. More importantly, an individual that perhaps couldn’t outperform on the basis of strength alone, finds an object or objects to amplify their ability to display dominate behavior by using it to make loud noise in an attempt to intimidate.

Chimps and Gorillas display the strategy by using cans and other objects that they bang together to make a lot of noise.

I am louder than you is a basic basic primate display, just no with an ICE or Harley.

And yea some folks can’t give it up. Hardcore wiring is tough to beat. When talking with someone who feels this way, I differentiate between your daily driver vs your passion/ hobby/ entertainment.

Fire Away!

As noted here.

So on the next trip
So on ur next trip, stop at the Supercharger on your way home, or wherever you're planning to stop for the night. The bty is up to temp after about 30 miles on the Interstate, certainly after an hour TWO FREAKIN' HOURS of driving. (thanks for the update @MP3Mike )

Supercharge while the bty is still warm. Don't let it cold soak overnight then supercharge in the morning.

EDIT:

My understanding is that it should be "conditioned" after a constant drive -- say 120 miles on the highway, pull into the super charger and... 60kW.

Oh, sorry I missed ur previous. Yeah, it's ur car. Call Tesla. Cheers!

Last edited:
Sure, but look at what Tesla are doing, it's amazing, almost every passing week something improves, sometimes something dramatic. Sure, we have the weird announcements, the confusing price changes, but by-and-large, it's storming forwards.

At some point, people are going to wake up and say, "wait a minute, this is amazing!"

Friend got their 3 stuck in mud yesterday. Don’t ask; I have explained it’s not an off-road vehicle. Called Tesla roadside, resolved in a jiffy.

Asked if they’d heard about the V3 Superchargers; nope. Hasn’t ever used a Supercharger - no need. So I explain and they announce ‘that’s amazing!’

But then they said this: I love my car (after just being stuck in mud late at night). It’s totally ruined my other car for me. I don’t want to ever drive it again.

This is not a ‘car’ person. Has never loved a car before and doesn’t know half the things the 3 can do. Has never used EAP features and even bought FSD when they purchased the car.

Sorry tagged onto your post.

Tesla doesn't know where it will build the Model Y as it rolls out more layoffs and cost cuts

"Employees say Tesla executives, including president of automotive Jerome Guillen, are wavering between two options for Model Y production. They are trying to decide whether Tesla should allocate space in the Gigafactory, the company's massive battery plant outside of Reno, or combine the Model S and Model X body lines at its car plant in Fremont, California to make room to build the crossover SUVs."

If Tesla already have two locations available to build the Y, the choice of exact location is not such a rush. I expect Grohmann is already manufacturing some of the longest lead time equipment for the Y line, and Tesla has likely put in orders for other manufacturing equipment such as Fanuc/Kuka robots. Where they send it to can be finalised later.

SP holding nicely above the Lower BB this morning. This is shaping up to form a Technical bottom. :cool:

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2019-03-07.11-00.png

Now it pops-up - by Kolodny of all people, and not even a snide remark to be read - bet that was written with gritted teeth...

Just reading again, the headine "Tesla says..." is passive aggressive, "Tesla's new Superchargers..." would be the more positive headline.

Tesla says new Superchargers let drivers fill up faster, 75 miles of charge in 5 minutes

Tesla says new Superchargers let drivers fill up faster, 75 miles of charge in 5 minutes
  • Tesla debuts its new V3 Superchargers.
  • It says its new systems could enable drivers to add up to 75 miles of charge to a long-range Model 3 in just five minutes.
  • The company says the faster chargers will roll out to drivers in North America in the second quarter.
  • Tesla also says 90 percent of drivers in China now have access to Tesla charging infrastructure.
Those so called reporters have no morality. Their twitter accounts are filled with comments from shorts. So disgusting. Makes me wanna puke, literally.

Sometimes I think these major media writers and the shorts are inter-parasitic. The “reporters” enjoy watching shorts smearing Tesla and utilizing those FUDs to cook some sensational hit pieces. As for those short maniacs, no introduction needed.

• Informative
Reactions: Artful Dodger
Did Audi Just Disrupt Tesla's Model Y?
Did Audi Just Disrupt Tesla's Model Y? -- The Motley Fool
But it will have a rated range of over 450 kilometers (about 280 miles) on the new, strict WLTP European test standard, the company said.
Sorry, Tesla fans, this isn't vaporware. Believe it or not, the production version of the Q4 e-tron Concept will be Audi's fifth battery-electric model when it arrives in 2020. It'll follow the original e-tron crossover SUV (first deliveries later this month), the e-tron Sportback (due later this year), a smaller crossover called the e-tron Q2L that was designed specifically for China (also due later this year), and the high-performance e-tron GT sports sedan (due in 2020). By 2025, Audi plans to have 12 all-electric models in production covering "every relevant market segment from the compact class to the luxury class." It expects that electric models will account for about a third of its global sales by that time.

1. Since when is the WLTP considered "strict"? I thought it was still was too conservative?
2. I thought the e-tron GT was scheduled for 2025??

There is also the alpha male thing that is a deeply embedded thing. Making the most noise is one factor in establishing an alpha position in a group. More importantly, an individual that perhaps couldn’t outperform on the basis of strength alone, finds an object or objects to amplify their ability to display dominate behavior by using it to make loud noise in an attempt to intimidate.

Chimps and Gorillas display the strategy by using cans and other objects that they bang together to make a lot of noise.

I am louder than you is a basic basic primate display, just no with an ICE or Harley.

And yea some folks can’t give it up. Hardcore wiring is tough to beat. When talking with someone who feels this way, I differentiate between your daily driver vs your passion/ hobby/ entertainment.

Fire Away!
Next you're going to tell me it's all about the size of your tail pipe. Hey, wait a minute. Come to think of it, maybe THAT'S why I can't get a date! Sorry...tmi.

Dan

It looks like supercharger V3 should charge 20-80% on the LR Model 3 in somewhere between 14 and 19 minutes. Hard to know exactly what the taper curve looks like now, but even between 50-80% SoC i think it should average above 100kW. I think this means a LR should add 170 to 215 EPA miles in 15 minutes (215-270 NEDC) vs a Porsche advertising 0-80%/258 NEDC miles in 15 mins (c.180 EPA miles). I should note I think Porsche's marketing is based on starting at 0% state of charge which isn't ever likely to happen in practice; if they start instead at 20% Soc, Porsche miles per minute will be far lower.

I don't know if 250kW is the LR model 3 battery maximum as well as the supercharger maximum. 250kW corresponds to a peak 13.5 amps for each of the LR cells.

If this is the cell maximum, then the SR Model 3 20-80% charge time will be the same, but miles per minute charge will be lower as the battery pack will not be able to take the maximum 250kW (max would be c.170kW).

However, if 13.5 amps is not the max for model 3 cells, then SR could potentially take a max of 20 amps per cell, corresponding to maintaining a 250kW peak. This could make the SR miles per minute charge the same as LR, while the 20-80% charge time would be much faster (9-12 mins).

Actually, if the new V3 architecture can deliver the observed 256KW to a car at/near 0% SOC, that would be 256KW/350V/46P = 15.9A

• Informative
Reactions: humbaba
I would be surprised as heck if Supercharger v3 wasn’t architected to also be used in a Megacharger. Btw, v3 is also more energy efficient, saving electricity costs. And given how it shares DC current capacity along a DC bus between many (a lot more than 2) pedestals, it should also be more capital efficient (ie. cheaper per kWh delivered to customers). All while outputting higher charge speeds. Much progress here under the hood. Would love to see the full architecture specs.

If the Reddit thread was correct, then up to 7 cabinets are in a V3 cluster. Assuming each can deliver the 256KW we saw in the event video, what are the chances we'll see a ~1.8MW capable Megacharger??

With the Semi packs thought to be in the 800-1,000kWh range, they should be able to handle that, no problem...

Reactions: humbaba