Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok, it's clear that Gates just doesn't like Tesla and maybe EVs in general. I mean come on. Yes meat and cement are huge contributors but do you think we will have an easier time getting people to drive a Tesla or give up hamburgers?

He said that companies like Tesla are doing great work on “easy stuff, like passenger cars” but that we need to tackle other industries to make a bigger climate change difference.

“We’re basically not doing enough on the hard stuff: steel, cement, meat,” he said. “And sadly, the things people think about — the electricity, passenger cars — are a third of the problem. So we have to work on the two-thirds. And if all you pay attention to is those short-term metrics, not the green premiums across the board, then you miss out on what is the longest lead time, which is the hard stuff.”

Bill Gates: Unlike Elon Musk, I'm not a Mars person (cnbc.com)

He gave props later in the interview.

"Well, it’s important to say that what Elon did with Tesla is one of the greatest contributions to climate change anyone’s ever made. And you know, underestimating Elon is not a good idea."

Opinion | Innovation, Not Trees. How Bill Gates Plans to Save the Planet.

Ok, it's clear that Gates just doesn't like Tesla and maybe EVs in general. I mean come on. Yes meat and cement are huge contributors but do you think we will have an easier time getting people to drive a Tesla or give up hamburgers?

He said that companies like Tesla are doing great work on “easy stuff, like passenger cars” but that we need to tackle other industries to make a bigger climate change difference.

“We’re basically not doing enough on the hard stuff: steel, cement, meat,” he said. “And sadly, the things people think about — the electricity, passenger cars — are a third of the problem. So we have to work on the two-thirds. And if all you pay attention to is those short-term metrics, not the green premiums across the board, then you miss out on what is the longest lead time, which is the hard stuff.”

Elon did say on Rogan that at one point Gates had a short position on Tesla. Which is a pity and so sugary. Unfortunately.

edit: allegedly. He said he heard, not confirmed.As stated by asburger.

Last edited:
To be fair, he said that he heard that. Not confirmed.
A retired CEO with that much wealth must have some under management by hedge funds which most likely has a short position on Tsla. Gate doesn't have the time to research Tesla and then build up enough conviction to purposely short it. The guy is so busy in third world countries unlike Michael Burry who doesn't do anything else useful with his life.

Elon did say on Rogan that at one point Gates had a short position on Tesla. Which is a pity and so sugary. Unfortunately.
We don't know. I doubt Gates does the day to day trade decisions for all of his investments. If someone running a portion of that did a smallish short against Tesla at some time it might not have been more significant than that Gates should have given better clarifications to those trading what would be a no-no position. Again, it might be worse but we don't really know.

I remember one of Dave Lees discussions, probably two months back where he asked Emmet Peppers about betting against Tesla. Emmet was like 'I wouldn't do that, not even if I thought I would profit from it'. Dave was visibly surprised. I don't remember his response word for word but it was pretty clear, including his facial reaction, that Dave would invest against Tesla if he could make some money from it.

Tesla owns 79% of the electric car market in the US, and that needs to change - Electrek

From the article:
Here are the top 10 electric cars by sales in the US in 2020:

1. Tesla Model 3: 95,135
  2. Tesla Model Y: 71,344
  3. Chevrolet Bolt EV: 19,664
  4. Tesla Model X: 19,652
  5. Tesla Model S: 14,430
  6. Nissan Leaf: 8,972
  7. Audi E-tron: 7,089
  8. Porsche Taycan: 3,943
  9. Hyundai Kona EV: 2,964
  10. Kia Niro EV: 2,807
Tesla is destroying the EV auto competition in the U.S., not even close. And when you add in huge solar&storage growth over the next few years, makes perfect sense for me for BH to start a position in one the biggest S&P 500 companies. BH isn't stupid, they can read a balance sheet as well as anyone. And yeah, they have Amazon and Apple in their portfolio--at some point they will buy Tesla.
This is without a federal tax credit. Everything from number 6 to 10 gets a big advantage.

Tesla owns 79% of the electric car market in the US, and that needs to change - Electrek

From the article:
Here are the top 10 electric cars by sales in the US in 2020:

1. Tesla Model 3: 95,135
  2. Tesla Model Y: 71,344
  3. Chevrolet Bolt EV: 19,664
  4. Tesla Model X: 19,652
  5. Tesla Model S: 14,430
  6. Nissan Leaf: 8,972
  7. Audi E-tron: 7,089
  8. Porsche Taycan: 3,943
  9. Hyundai Kona EV: 2,964
  10. Kia Niro EV: 2,807
Tesla is destroying the EV auto competition in the U.S., not even close. And when you add in huge solar&storage growth over the next few years, makes perfect sense for me for BH to start a position in one the biggest S&P 500 companies. BH isn't stupid, they can read a balance sheet as well as anyone. And yeah, they have Amazon and Apple in their portfolio--at some point they will buy Tesla.

Not enough batteries in conjunction with EU massive fines pushed Tesla to a 79% market share and growing. I was reading the reports published in 2014 about EU's fine and goal of having average fleet hitting below 95kg CO2/100km. Seems like the only mass production cars that can achieve this are diesel and hybrids. Of course diesels cars were caught cheating so then this is why the future of BMW is hybrids. If you can build 5 hybrids with the usage of 1 battery pack worth of cells for a i3/i4 or whatever, you want to build the 5 hybrids or else get massively fined.

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: RobsJester and KMCC

that doesn't sound critical of Tesla at all. He's just pointing out that in terms of climate change, passenger cars are merely one vector of the bigger picture.

Yeah, even more because it's Tuesday...

I’m sure I typed Tuesday, must be that new spotty internet service that I started using today. :p

74930F0A-CDBB-434C-8D1C-D024D07D4EEB.jpeg