Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There is a lot of discussion on this thread of the potential impact of the reintroduction of the $7500 tax credit in the US. This is understandable given that the majority of posters are from North America, and it certainly should be positive. However the start of Berlin production of Model Y should have a far greater impact for Tesla as:
  • the price reduction that will be seen on Berlin Model Y relative to the cost of an imported model will probably be greater than $7500 purely due to the elimination of import duties and shipping charges. Costs should be further reduced due to the use of front casting and structural pack plus the (cheaper) 4680 cells.
  • this impact will be permanent, not limited to 400k vehicles
  • the benefit will only apply to Tesla, not competitors, hence there will be a step change in price competitiveness against all other suppliers
  • there will never be a situation where Tesla is disadvantaged vis-a-vis other suppliers when Tesla have used up their 400k allowance and other suppliers have not
  • there is the potential for higher EU ZEV credits through the FCA agreement due to the increased sales in Europe
What is not to like? :)

Redpoint County Mutual Insurance Co. will underwrite an insurance program for Tesla in Texas: Tesla to Offer Auto Insurance Program in Texas

Redpoint specializes in private passenger auto coverage written through independent managing general agencies. According to documents filed with the Texas Department of Insurance, Tesla’s insurance program, underwritten by Redpoint, will be distributed through the Tesla Insurance Services of Texas Inc. (Tesla), an MGA formerly known as Samson General Agency.

Tesla Insurance on its website says its product is competitively priced and “designed to provide Tesla vehicle owners with up to 20% lower rates, and in some cases, as much as 30%.”

Physical damage, bodily injury and liability are among the basic coverages offered by Tesla Insurance. The company says it also offers “additional financial protection against theft of the car, and damage to the car for events other than traffic collisions.”

In addition to basic and other enhanced coverage offerings, an “Autonomous Vehicle Protection Package” is available. “This package includes Autonomous Vehicle Owner Liability, Wall Charger Coverage, Electronic Key Replacement, and covers Cyber Identity Fraud Expenses,” the Tesla Insurance website states.

Added 4 more Mar 23 1200's. @SP 744

This is all monies from sold CC's when IV was 95+ and SP 850+ (so worth the risk)

The risk profile of the trade doesn't give a flip where the money came from.

It's like saying, "My new Learjet 75 cost $25 million but it was a good deal because I won the lottery last month."

Or, alternatively, I decided that running the red light wasn't very risky because I shouldn't even be alive after being hospitalized with Covid last year.o_O

When placing an option bet, always look at the risk/reward in complete isolation of where the money for the trade came from because you are trying to increase your net worth. This is first principles thinking.

Last edited:
This recovery is partially due to everyone's home Improvement (better than an infrastructure bill IMO bc it's spread out).
I'm doing the yard now myself bc everyone is booked up for months. It's driving inflation as well, and "cheap labor" is $20/hr now in Az.
So my hands are literally sore, but my bones are made of diamonds.

View attachment 638925 View attachment 638925

Also, based on this only: "Elon Musk said in July that the company would not make the lower-end version of the vehicle because the 244 miles of range was not suitable."

... a side-effect is that people are now learning that 244 mi range is not enough! "Here you go, you can almost afford it... nope, it's no good." There's a lot of "competition" coming between now and 2025 in that range. This gets the word out that it's not enough. It's maybe a stretch, but also a valid PR afterthought as some justification for possible low interest without actually saying that. If there's not enough sales, there comes a point where it impacts factory output. That's what I think happened - base on no knowledge here.
Your ""Competition" coming between now and 2025" is a very, very long way off relative to the progress Tesla will make before those things come to market.

"tested at higher ambient temperature"? How much higher? (I'm not checking myself since you said it's in German.)
For the test drive, outside temperature was between 10° and 15° and the battery maxed out at 50°C. Per the chart at 8:10 mark, ambient temperature while charging was 19°C.
In other words, the new test doesn't tell us anything about charge performance with a cold battery. Under moderate conditions, the battery will warm up while driving, thus the results are valid within a certain range of temperatures.

Reactions: Fred42
Well Gary said he'll buy back in at 720. So we will see where this goes. The sell off today feels like the post Apple+Tesla stock split nasdaq correction.

Starting to feel oversold to me. I was keeping my capital in reserve to exercise all of my upcoming calls this year, but I might deploy a bit here to increase my position. I think sub $700 will get me to bite.

The risk profile of the trade doesn't give a flip where the money came from.

It's like saying, "My new Learjet 75 cost $25 million but it was a good deal because I won the lottery last month."

Or, alternatively, I decided that running the red light wasn't very risky because I shouldn't even be alive after being hospitalized with Covid last year.o_O

When placing an option bet, always look at the risk/reward in complete isolation of where the money for the trade came from. This is first principles thinking.

1st principles thinking should not be used to try to explain every thing. :) And this definitely is not one of them. (+ btw. the very use of the two examples is thinking by analogy)

I have a strategy in place, where I sold CC's at high SP, high IV and am using the monies to buy the dips.
I added that as clarification, just so peeps know that I am not using my own money in buying more.

Sure market is unpredictable, but I thought it was a good time to get in at a lower SP with lower IV. Market has moved down due to inflation and rate increases worries. At this point my thought is that it too shall pass.
(+If this trade goes against me, it will mean that all the CC's I sold went for me. -- And at some point I will be balancing my single stock portfolio accordingly)

I sold bunch of CC's when many here said not to. Now I am buying Calls when there is fear and I will follow accordingly when greed comes along. ~ cheers!!

Last edited:
Now we can move on
upload_2021-2-22_15-30-47.png