Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My read is that this means that, despite all their FUD and BS, shorts are low conviction about their TSLA thesis. If they really believed their own BS, you wouldn’t see all this closing out of short positions. And with reduced short positions, the FUD lets up as well.

Agreed. I imagine that over time (multi year perspective) we will see continued peaks and valleys with regard to the valuation of TSLA, but over time the amplitude of these swings will be reduced, and the net move will be increasing valuation of course. With every such swing some shorts will exit, new shorts will enter, but the sum of it will be decreased short interest as time goes by. The high short activity in TSLA is a catalyst for bigger moves, both up and down (on the way up due to squeezing, on the way down due to (naked) shorting) and the big moves is an incentive to short and trade TSLA, so kind of a positive feed back loop. The way out of this loop is growth in the fundamentals over time. These are the ways I imagine the charts and numbers to go.

The narrative parallell to this is going from "Tesla will fail", "Tesla is a fraud" to (where we are today) "Tesla is an estabilshed auto maker but the future for EVs is uncertain", "Tesla is an estabilished company and will likely not go bancrupt, but is over valued" to eventually "Tesla is a tech behemoth with a bright future, huge piles of cash and huge positive cash flow" (think multiples of Apple) and at that point there will be just some haggling about the exact valuation (a "big move" will be up or down 5-10% in a month).

Also, with regard to short interest: It should be expected that when the value of TSLA drops >30% in a short period of time some (smart) shorts should be taking profit. What will really be interesting and telling is whether or not short interest again increases on the next leg up.

Last edited:
Wrote this yesterday on the Super Bulls thread. Posting here because I am less embarrassed about it today.

It's a complex model. Three variables which I have made mathematical constants - all with a value of 50.

Working on simplification for non Super Bull autists.
One thing I will be interested to see as AVs roll out is the change in the product layout.

The four forward facing seats with a steering wheel at the front is clearly not an ideal layout once full AV is up and running - most vehicles wouldn't carry 4 people most of the time, the rear seats are relatively uncomfortable (compared to what could be).

What would the workhorse AV look like? The simplest version I can think of is a Model 2 with the front seats ripped out leaving two comfortable seats in the back with plenty of legroom along with productivity/entertainment options up front. That would allow for flexibility and cheap production cost. If larger groups require transport they can summon a different type of vehicle or take multiple vehicles.

Bought 590 strikes yesterday that I unloaded in the 620s. Yeah, made double my money, but goddamn, how come every time I sell anything on this stock it continues to go up exponentially and every time I hold it drops 30 points again....:confused:

Guess I should have closed those covered calls yesterday.

This is why you have long term accounts where you HODL and nothing else.

Yeah.

We going to hit 800 tomorrow?
Have you tried TRAIL Orders? It is a "stop loss" where the stop-loss-barrier gets raised to "max share price - offset" dynamically. So you get most of the upside with downside-protection .. :)

My favourite thing to use when selling into bull-developments.

Reactions: Queeg500
Have you tried TRAIL Orders? It is a "stop loss" where the stop-loss-barrier gets raised to "max share price - offset" dynamically. So you get most of the upside with downside-protection .. :)

Good suggestion but are there platforms that allow such type orders on options?

Imagine using any kind of stop-loss order knowing that literally everyone can see them and they will push the stock down just to kill you and then buy the dip afterwards, something which happened at least 4 times during this recent multiple-weeks decline. Now the stock will suddenly mysteriously run up after all the shorts who were following Burry have covered and all the people with stop-losses have been blown out of their positions. The entire market is engineered and all you're doing with a stop-loss is showing everyone your hand so they can nuke you from orbit because that's the only way to be sure.

The stock market is a game of poker. Never show your hand.

Good suggestion but are there platforms that allow such type orders on options?

Is good suggestion. Have tried multiple times. They are available for options on TD. Never seems to work out for me. I either set it too tight and get taken out on a backfill or set it too wide and question why I gave up such a cushion. And they always have to be market orders or risk getting left behind on sudden plunges.

Nothing beats staring at ticker until eyes burn. Need to ditch my day job, lol.

Anyway, first world problems.

Thanks!

Reactions: gabeincal
Imagine using any kind of stop-loss order knowing that literally everyone can see them and they will push the stock down just to kill you and then buy the dip afterwards, something which happened at least 4 times during this recent multiple-weeks decline. Now the stock will suddenly mysteriously run up after all the shorts who were following Burry have covered and all the people with stop-losses have been blown out of their positions. The entire market is engineered and all you're doing with a stop-loss is showing everyone your hand so they can nuke you from orbit because that's the only way to be sure.

Spot on. I call them stop profits

👯‍♀️
I think Tesla will make a version of the semi that is an RV. I guess any 3rd party could make a boujee/ opulent trailer ....Tesla will have the FSD cab! Maybe Tesla has to make an iPad controller for destinations and controlling the settings from the waterbed 😂
Yes to the RV!
I'm first in line....take my money!

I don't get the "FSD might be impossible" argument. WAYMO shows it's working within limits today - so with a remote operations center to manually control the car in corner cases (speaking to police controls, handling accident communication etc ... ) isn't WAYMO proove that FSD is already solved?

If so then the ratio of control center intervention per million miles is just a profit margin and scale-out argument - not a general argument against FSD isn't it?
Good point.
As I understand it Douma is being a classic academic here, using a very hard definition of proof and rigor re. FSD. He modifies that by saying that Tesla will most likely solve FSD and recent events are a strong indicator that they are moving fast in the right direction.

AFAIK the hard variant of level 5 self driving, the upmost level, is that the car can handle whatever comes as good or better than expert drivers - come hell or high water.
But when you get down to the details that is maybe not as clear as all that. We know that given sufficiently difficult situations, even very good human drivers give up. But how do they correctly decide that? So, would an FSD/self driven car with the ability to give up in extreme conditions still constitute FSD driving? Perhaps.
The criteria for giving up is a big grey area: If sufficiently weak effort is accepted, then most self-driving could, in the limit, be said to be self-driving: The may 'choose' to give up 50% up the time. That definition is obviously ridiculous.

It is not as obvious when you get closer to 100%. Is 95 OK? Is 99% good enough? Well, giving up one trip per 100 is much better than getting into an accident for sure.
You could argue that 99% is not true self driving: If you use, nominally speaking, self-driving car to transport your underage kids 4 times per day, then off course avoiding accidents is key. But, you would probably be annoyed if once a month or more, at an unpredictable time and place, they get stuck in an unmoving car which has given up.
The central control could solve that. And maybe that is exactly what will happen. But costly. And comes with its own set of legal problems. (When accidents occur are the bad sensors to blame, or the remote operator/driver, or the networking team, or ..?)

Re. Waymo: You could argue that Waymo have solved a subset of self driving which depends on hi-definition maps. Acc. to Douma, lidar is great at location but does nothing for moving object/people so they have to depend on vision here. How good is WAYMOs vision? I don't know.
Re. scale-out, both having and maintaining hi-def maps and having lidar equipment on the cars and having human intervention in control centers are 3 negative scaling factor you may not have if you vision-only software is sufficiently good. Yes, they can scale that, but slowly and expensively.

Re. remote drivers.
If centralized 'remote drivers' are an short-term to intermediate solution until the 'march of nines' is completed or in case the last 1-0.00.1 percent of FSD is really, really, really difficult and will take 20 years to solve then that is in itself raise interesting perspectives for StarLink v Tesla collab.
Note that Elon time and time again has stressed that the StarLink latency/delay should be very low - perhaps lower than all other known communication solutions.
Now, how big a latency would you like a remote driver to have when driving around your underage children, handicapped spouse, old grandmother or good friends? What is low enough except the lowest delay possible limited by only by physics?

Interesting how Elons puzzle pieces come together over time/decades...

With order data visible to MMD manufacturers, and the shorts, I have often wondered what the impact would be if every single TMC HODL’er set “stop loss” orders or “trailing stop loss orders” on all of our chairs at $25,000 per share.

How would that skew their data, and algo actions ?

I am sure many would be willing to be the reluctant “twist my rubber arm” victims of a bear raid at $25k per share - if it happened today.

Last edited:

Wouldn't most of our stop losses or whatever be for such relatively small orders that they wouldn't have any effect (unless we collectively did the same thing so the numbers were big enough to have a bad effect)?

wouldn't most of our stop losses or whatever be for such small orders that they wouldn't have any effect (unless we collectively did the same thing so the numbers were big enough to have a bad effect)?

All though @UnknownSoldier 's post is a bit of tongue in cheek his point stands. Remember that the brokers sell the level 2 order book (that is all the buy and sell orders, including "stop losses" and other type of contigent orders) data to hegde funds and market makers. They can buy the order book data from several brokers and thus have have access to a lot a large percentage of the cumulative order book from retail customers and at that point it doesn't matter if it's many small orders - they can still trade this information easily. All they need to know is for example that stop losses for 100k shares will be triggered if the price falls 5% and another 200k shares will be sold through stop losses if the price falls 10% etc. It doesn't matter if those are a few large orders or the sum of many small orders. So the analogy of showing your hand in poker is quite correct.

Wouldn't most of our stop losses or whatever be for such relatively small orders that they wouldn't have any effect (unless we collectively did the same thing so the numbers were big enough to have a bad effect)?
I suspect stop-losses tend to reflect sentiment to a large extent and to cluster around emotive and significant prices so yeah, individually insignificant but when large numbers of investors start to become unsettled the stop-losses will start to grow around low price points.

• Informative
Reactions: UncaNed
So: we collectively set a jillion stop losses at $500 or so, wait for THEM to nuke the price, cancel the stop losses as the price free-falls and scoop shares up at $550 or so?

Ah, no: :p

JPMorgan (JPM) Is Set to Pay $1 Billion in Record Spoofing ...
www.bloomberg.com › news › articles › jpmorgan-is-s...

"JPMorgan will pay $436.4 million in fines, $311.7 million in restitution and more than $172 million in disgorgement, the Commodity Futures..."

Last edited:
Perhaps he is not ecstatic to see the new reaction score which reset everyone to zero? He had very large numbers of positive reactions — likes, informatives, funny’s, loves, and helpfuls — from all of his posts.

Edit: Are the old scores still available somewhere?
What exactly is the reaction score number?