Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
“When you grow up you tend to get told the world is the way it is and you're life is just to live your life inside the world.

Try not to bash into the walls too much. Try to have a nice family, have fun, save a little money.

That's a very limited life.

Life can be much broader once you discover one simple fact: Everything around you that you call life was made up by people that were no smarter than you and you can change it, you can influence it, you can build your own things that other people can use.

Once you learn that, you'll never be the same again.” Steve Jobs.

I wonder what Jobs would have done, if he was still around to see what Elon is doing with his companies. I wonder if he would have recognized the genius and helped with the mission. But we will never know. Life is limited, for everyone.
I’m pretty sure Steve Jobs would have shorted Elon’s stock after getting all jealous over the attention he got for stealing his IPad idea for his electric car.

E-Trade change the margin requirement for Tesla from 40% to 50%. Why?
I mentioned this earlier. E-trade mispriced Tesla in my acct at exactly $600.97 several times today. This reflected a significant error in my account value. Each time it was the same price for some reason. I emailed a manager FWIW. Not a margin acct either.

In 2018, Elon said that Tesla was a dozen or so start ups having little correlation to legacy auto. Comments about my list, please:

Chip design
Supercharger design/build/manage
Motor and drive unit design/build
Insurance design/build
Sales
Autonomy design/build/manage
Factory design/build
Solar roof design/build
Utility energy storage design/build
Residential/commercial energy storage design/build
Auto design/build
Semi design/build
Battery design/build
Vehicle service

Future

HVAC design/build
AI interaction with physical world
EV ships/planes
Fossil fuel site remediation
Battery recycling (Redwood)

Sorry for my bad typo.

More interestingly, does someone have a list of TSLA's largest daily percentage moves?

My database goes back to May 2015. Today ranks in 2nd place for all-time daily percent gains, close behind Feb 03, 2020

TSLA.202`-03-09.RecordMovesSP.High2Low.png

But today exceeded the % gains on 2020-03-02 if you include today's After-hrs session, which ended at $689.21 +15.63 (+2.32%) on 1.825M shares traded.

On Feb 3rd, 2020 (chart below) the SP was down -14.00 (-1.79%) After-hrs: (beginning of the Q1 2020 'dip')

TSLA.chart.2020-02-03.png

While I have you here Lars, I recall that you used some of your TSLA assets to make a real-life real-estate dream come true back in May 2020. Can you share any of your experiences and results with us? Especially, how's that dream home?

May I ask, have you gotten back into holding TSLA shares since then? Were you able to participate in any of TSLA's historic run in H2 2020?

Cheers!

My database goes back to May 2015. Today ranks in 2nd place for all-time daily percent gains, close behind Feb 03, 2020

View attachment 643211

But today exceeded the % gains on 2020-03-02 if you include today's After-hrs session, which ended at $689.21 +15.63 (+2.32%) on 1.825M shares traded.

On Feb 3rd, 2020 (chart below) the SP was down -14.00 (-1.79%) After-hrs: (beginning of the Q1 2020 'dip')

View attachment 643212

While I have you here Lars, I recall that you used some of your TSLA assets to make a real-life real-estate dream come true back in May 2020. Can you share any of your experiences and results with us? Especially, how's that dream home?

May I ask, have you gotten back into holding TSLA shares since then? Were you able to participate in any of TSLA's historic run in H2 2020?

Cheers!
You’re back!!! Had us worried.

In 2018, Elon said that Tesla was a dozen or so start ups having little correlation to legacy auto. Comments about my list, please:

Chip design
Insurance design/build
Sales
Factory design/build
Solar roof design/build
Auto design/build
Semi design/build
Battery design/build
Vehicle service

Future

HVAC design/build
EV ships/planes
Not just utility storage products, also being the utility.

Edit: and solar inverter manufacturer.

Last edited:
Reactions: UncaNed

Chip design
Insurance design/build
Sales
Factory design/build
Solar roof design/build
Auto design/build
Semi design/build
Battery design/build
Vehicle service

Future

HVAC design/build
EV ships/planes
Tesla glass
Seat manufacturing
Car delivery logistics (bought a trucking company)
mRNA vaccine printing
Medical equipment (respirators)

Future- e-commerce/subscription based software, ride sharing/taxi, tesla home (potential area, will see),

Comments about my list, please:

Good list.

Possible future additional products:-

Home/Industrial - Hot water/Lighting/Cooking/Smart Electricity Meters - appliances
Tech products - Phones/Tablets/Laptops
Entertainment Products - App Store/Games etc...
Grid Scale Energy - Inverters and other components.

One thing that occurred to me recently is, drivers will not get speeding tickets in Boring Company Tunnels.
So when you need to get there fast, take the tunnel, otherwise take your time, and use the in car entertainment

Farm equipment - already some good products in the space, but running the whole farm on electricity generated at the farm, is a no brainier.
Having smart autonomous tractors doing all the work. monitoring soil and crop conditions, and spotting problems early is great.
Surprisingly this is an area where Tesla might face some quality competition, but FSD and Dojo might give them an edge.

We don't know that Tesla will do all these things, but i think we can assume if they did enter these markets, the products would be very competitive.

Does anyone know what the deal is with the Beta “button” everyone is talking about on Twitter but can’t show a picture of? Is it some nasty Elon joke?
Elon says it’ll be available sometime in the next couple weeks; once they finish the 8.3 build. It’ll be in the service section of the app and you’ll need to check off on some liability options...then you’ll be able to download the update in your car via the usual update process.

Just my understanding. I could be mistaken.

Elon says it’ll be available sometime in the next couple weeks; once they finish the 8.3 build. It’ll be in the service section of the app and you’ll need to check off on some liability options...then you’ll be able to download the update in your car via the usual update process.

Just my understanding. I could be mistaken.
At this time, no one knows if Elon meant only the people accepted into the limited beta would get the button or if anyone who purchased FSD can opt in. Let's wait and see what happens before we all get excited about FSD beta for everyone.

Well, that was a day, wasn't it? No, scratch that--it's been a heck of a week.

No, it's only Tuesday. Sheesh.

AH OT: we're nearing EoQ, and it's the traditionally-difficult first quarter. I'm heading out on a road trip this weekend in our X. A repeat EAP offering would be immediately jumped upon, Tesla. Help me help you, Elon. (We grabbed it on our other Tesla when they first offered it in 3Q20.).

At this time, no one knows if Elon meant only the people accepted into the limited beta would get the button or if anyone who purchased FSD can opt in. Let's wait and see what happens before we all get excited about FSD beta for everyone.
I think it's everyone with FSD as it coincides with 8.3. That's Tasha's interpretation as well.

Reactions: UncaNed

Chip design
Insurance design/build
Sales
Factory design/build
Solar roof design/build
Auto design/build
Semi design/build
Battery design/build
Vehicle service

Future

HVAC design/build
EV ships/planes
Two more:

Mining company
Materials/metals R&D for unique uses.

Reactions: JRP3 and rsm287

Lucid, Long Before SPAC, Promised to Build Saudi Auto Plant​

Electric-car startup Lucid Motors Inc. has an undisclosed commitment to build an assembly plant in Saudi Arabia, a potentially costly promise the company made after accepting more than $1 billion in financing from the Saudi Public Investment Fund in 2018, according to people familiar with the matter.

Sounds great. What could possibly go wrong?

edit: Cool. The new forum does better links!

Lucid, Long Before SPAC, Promised to Build Saudi Auto Plant​

Electric-car startup Lucid Motors Inc. has an undisclosed commitment to build an assembly plant in Saudi Arabia, a potentially costly promise the company made after accepting more than $1 billion in financing from the Saudi Public Investment Fund in 2018, according to people familiar with the matter.

Sounds great. What could possibly go wrong?

edit: Cool. The new forum does better links!

I'm sure car journalists can't wait to travel to Saudi Arabia.