Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A dental hygienist has a model 3 ?
Someone who makes just a little over minimum wage ?
Can you believe how great a country this is ?
OH its Canada. Never mind.

EDIT: This shows how dumb I am. They actually make a decent wage I thought it was a six month course to become a dental hygienist. My apologies.

I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want someone, making close to minimum wage, with sharp tools in my mouth. :)

That is not the only reason.
The dealerships can apply for the governmental payback after buying an ev. After 6 month of holding on a parking lot you can then offload them to denmark, netherlands, poland, ... without paying back the 6000€ to the german state..

That basically subsidizes the export.

Tesla cannot do that - but they started as well. Nearly every german tesla-owner got contacted if we would be interested in a "trade in" after 1 year. They will then ship it to other countries & we can buy a new tesla for ~6000€ difference .. and then apply for another round of EV-bonus of 6k from the state .. ;)

yes .. it was designed this way to boost german manufacturers .. and prolonged to 2025 in full (shoud have halved at 2022).
This is like churning aeropoints on credit cards.

Elon at 50m Twitter followers.

This is not an April fools joke!
To put things in perspective, every superbowl has about 100 million views and it cost 5.6 million for a 30 sec time slot plus the cost of making a creative commercial. Companies wish their car commercial can have a 50% engagement rate, but it's just lost in a sea of every car commercial that night.

Elons tweet is now worth millions in advertisement dollars.

Rather then building as many as 500,000 EV charging stations, the US government should take advantage of the fact that the overwhelming majority of EV charging is done in home garages.

As is already the case in some locations, they should pass a law that all new home garages must have 240-volt electrical wiring and the proper electrical outlets to charge an electric car. This would not cost the government and its taxpayers anything. They should also consider offering full or partial credits to those who install such electrical improvements in existing home garages.

Usually Q1 is not only below previous Q4, but also below previous Q3, so I am going on the record with my Q1 P&D estimate of 138K.
That is still over 40% YoY growth!
This is not the "usual" Q1: Tesla now has 3 fully operational assembly lines. A year ago, they only had 1. That's the same 'tail-chase' problem as applying a P/E ratio to value a rapidly growing company.

Which is why Wall St. gets it wrong, and we gets it rich. :D

Cheers!

Rather then building as many as 500,000 EV charging stations, the US government should take advantage of the fact that the overwhelming majority of EV charging is done in home garages.

As is already the case in some locations, they should pass a law that all new home garages must have 240-volt electrical wiring and the proper electrical outlets to charge an electric car. This would not cost the government and its taxpayers anything. They should also consider offering full or partial credits to those who install such electrical improvements in existing home garages.
Add to this mandatory installation of chargers for Apartment/Condo parking areas.

A chicken in every pot, a charger in every slot.

And all new parking garages have 25-50% of spots outfitted with 120v outlets + credits to pay for retrofit.

yeah, that's essentially correct -- the 2020 pattern was that it would rise prior to earnings, go down immediately after earnings, but then rise hard after a week or two of figuring things out. My explanation for these three distinct trends was:

• The pre-earnings rise was "buy the news" from cynical investors and institutions, and simple optimism from bulls.
  • The post-earnings crash was because disingenuous shorts and bears are extremely good at seizing the narrative in the *immediate* wake of news -- lies can be manufactured instantly, while reasoned refutations of those lies take time to disseminate and sink in.
  • The long rise that followed a couple week after earnings each quarter was basically the truth gradually overcoming new set of lies being peddled by the usual suspects in the wake of the report.
We all know what takeaways are going to be pushed by the shorts when Q1 numbers are released. They'll compare them to Q4 2020, instead of the far more valid YOY comparison to Q1 2020. And of course they'll pretend "the street" was expecting more.

Here's a chart i posted back at the beginning of March, showing how disingenuous it is to compare Q4 numbers to Q1 numbers. (and yes, the Q1 2021 estimate is low -- i think the point the image is making is still pretty clear)

View attachment 649792
great chart for upcoming P&D I consider myself armed with facts thanks for this timely chart

Reactions: Pezpunk

No, that makes too much sense. Most people who don't have electric cars only think of filling up outside of home because that's what they're used to. They don't think about home charging. Worse, when they see empty charging stalls, it reinforces their belief that electric cars are unpopular.

He would add nothing.

Last time Joe interviewed Elon (earlier this year) it turned out he had never seen a Falcon 9 booster land before. Totally clueless. (But he knows all about conspiracy UFO theories :rolleyes:)
Dude? (Yeah I said "Dude" to emphasize that there are many other segments of society).
DUDE! Joe Rogan is the entertainment educator of a very large segment of our society that knows about what Joe knows. As he learns so does his following.
I won't explain the positive impact on THE WORLD if Joe Rogan becomes a board member any further.

... Most people who don't have electric cars only think of filling up outside of home because that's what they're used to. They don't think about home charging...

This is so true. A friend and I have gone back and forth several times about how he wants a fast charging station at his local gas station. I've explained several times that he has a three car garage, plenty of electrical capacity, and that there is no reason why he needs a fast charging station so close to home. Despite being a very smart and successful person, he can't seem to wrap his head around the concept of home charging. 🤷‍♂️

That UFC directorship is a bit of a mystery. Would seem a waste of time at best. Of course, it's none of my business what Musk does with his spare time, so long as it's legal and ethical...

Perhaps it has more to do with Las Vegas and The Boring Company.

On one hand, it feels like a waste of time. On the other, I'm a big fan of Ender's Game (the book)...

As is already the case in some locations, they should pass a law that all new home garages must have 240-volt electrical wiring and the proper electrical outlets to charge an electric car. This would not cost the government and its taxpayers anything.

Well, it'd cost homebuyers something, since the cost would be passed to them, but long term it'd be worthwhile for resale, since as a greater % of EVs are making up the public fleet lacking a 240 at home will be a negative.... that said, charging if you have a garage is the least important thing we need to work on here....

The average American, even pre-covid, drove 30 miles or less a day- even 110v covers you there.

The issue was the 1/4-1/3rd of Americans who don't have a garage or even live in a detached single family home.

When EVs are 2% of new sales, meh... plenty of home owners to buy them.

But when we're aiming for them to be 100% of sales it's that 1/4-1/3rd with no home charge option that's the biggest roadblock to it.

Some states (CA most prominently) require allowing renters to install their own charger if they have a designated spot (though many don't) but a lot more could be done for this segment, and needs to be, if we want 100% adoption.

Even then you'll have things like folks in urban apartment situations with nothing but unassigned, on-street parking available.... London is doing an interesting thing converting street lamps to EV chargers- though the fact they're on 240 helps compared to here.

They should also consider offering full or partial credits to those who install such electrical improvements in existing home garages.

They already do. Have for some years now.

Qualified Alternative Fuel Vehicle Refueling Property

• Informative
Reactions: PeterJA
This is so true. A friend and I have gone back and forth several times about how he wants a fast charging station at his local gas station. I've explained several times that he has a three car garage, plenty of electrical capacity, and that there is no reason why he needs a fast charging station so close to home. Despite being a very smart and successful person, he can't seem to wrap his head around the concept of home charging. 🤷‍♂️
The argument I keep having is "EVs are no good because not everybody can charge at home". My response: "NOBODY can, in any meaningful way, refuel at home: you are literally making an argument for why EVs are better".

Doesn't work mind you. None so blind etc etc.