Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unfortunately the message that is being presented to the general public is that Tesla's crash and the occupants burn. It may be free but it is not positive.

Indeed you are right in the very short term. But it affects traders and options speculators rather than long term stock holders. Of course more savvy members of the public realize it involves foolish daredevils willing to risk their own lives by intentionally circumventing safeguards. And no amount of additional protection will stop sophisticated tamperers. In the long run, none of this will matter once Full Self Driving has been attained and Tesla is recognized as its leader.

I almost welcome a NHTSA & NTSB investigation. If fairly conducted, I cannot possibly imagine the investigators being able to attribute any significant amount of blame to Tesla and/or Autopilot. Of all the accidents that Teslas have been involved in, one with only 450' to get up to the kind of speed that would cause that violent of a collision is not one I'm particularly worried about. Autopilot doesn't accelerate that quickly from a standstill on its own. Furthermore it would take a very elaborate plan to trick autopilot into that kind of a maneuver and not a lot of time (i.e. from launch to collision) to execute the deception. I'm sure the findings would either find there was a human driver (greatest likelihood) who either fled the scene, was tossed out of the driver's seat or tried to escape but the driver's door wouldn't open so tried another point of egress; or that the driver went to great lengths to deceive the autopilot system.

In the first case, tragic accident, but not Tesla's fault. In the unlikely second case there may be some recommendation(s) for greater oversight of drivers when autopilot is engaged, but human stupidity knows no bounds and at some point people must be held personally accountable for their idiocy or else you'll be living in the greatest nanny state ever and I think about 1/2 the US population won't stand for that. In either case it should become abundantly clear that Tesla's culpability in this accident is either nil or approaching zero.

Add in the low rate of fatalities in Teslas relative to Teslas on the road and compare that to all other makes of cars and their incidences of fatal accidents and I'm pretty sure the results of such an investigation might open some people's eyes at how superior Tesla really is on the safety front.

I only "almost" welcome the investigation though because I know the investigation will invite months or years of FUD and doubters while the investigation is ongoing and when it's finally resolved and Tesla is found to not be at fault, the FUDsters' goalposts will have been moved once again and the fact that Tesla is not found to be a contributory cause in this accident will not even be so much as an afterthought in the day's news cycle.

And if it does use sensor in seat then some kind of journalist will put a bag of potatoes on it and still scream faul.
How far do you need to go as a producer to safeguard your products? Will Apple have such scruteny when somebody tries to push a phone in his arse and needs to be hospitalized? This discussion is so incredibly dumb
We now live in a world where there is no longer such a thing as personal responsibility. Everything is always somebody else’s fault.

If anyone is interesting in contributing, I just made a thread about sharing any dream purchases you may have using your TSLA gains.

I am curious if anyone has anything crazy they are gonna buy. Like a mountain or island :)

• Love
Reactions: bkp_duke
And if it does use sensor in seat then some kind of journalist will put a bag of potatoes on it and still scream faul.
How far do you need to go as a producer to safeguard your products? Will Apple have such scruteny when somebody tries to push a phone in his arse and needs to be hospitalized? This discussion is so incredibly dumb
There will be crickets the first time someone uses a picture of their face to trick GM's system.

I hope all this FakeNews and FUD gets under Elon Musk skin. Because when he gets made, good things follow... maybe he will do another stock split just to stick it to them and introduce Short Shorts V.2
Lawsuits. Voting-machine levels of lawsuits. Take ‘em all to court - seemingly the only place where facts matter. Given estimates of potential FSD revenue, billion dollar lawsuits seem reasonable. That will tamp down this BS fast.

Lawsuits. Voting-machine levels of lawsuits. Take ‘em all to court - seemingly the only place where facts matter. Given estimates of potential FSD revenue, billion dollar lawsuits seem reasonable. That will tamp down this BS fast.
Of course, the defense can always be: “If you were stupid enough to believe our BS, that’s not our fault”.

Autonomous Driving is no different than when seat belts were first introduced to the auto industry. Skeptism by big auto, most likely due to added costs of equipment. Mass Media and Big Auto are trying to discredit Tesla's AP and FSD since Tesla is at the forefront of Autonomous Driving. As with seat belts where the one piece lap belt was improved over the years to a three-point seat belt in all seat positions, introduced by Volvo, Autonomous Driving will continue to improve as well.

"Seatbelts aroused heated debate despite increasing scientific research in the 1940s and 1950s affirming their value in saving lives. Among the arguments put forth against seatbelts was that they could cause internal injuries; that they prevented easy escapes from cars submerged in water; and that devices frequently failed. All were disputed by researchers but opposition remained fierce."

Safety belts are now law in most countries. Law legislation in USA:

Seat belt laws for front seat passengers in the 50 U.S. states, the District of Columbia, and the 5 inhabited U.S. territories.
No enforcement for adults (primary enforcement for minors)
Secondary enforcement
Secondary enforcement; primary under certain ages
Primary enforcement
"Most seat belt laws in the United States are left to the states and territories. However, the first seat belt law was a federal law, Title 49 of the United States Code, Chapter 301, Motor Safety Standard, which took effect on January 1, 1968, that required all vehicles (except buses) to be fitted with seat belts in all designated seating positions.[1] This law has since been modified to require three-point seat belts in outboard-seating positions, and finally three-point seat belts in all seating positions.[2]Initially, seat belt use was voluntary. New York was the first state to pass a law which required vehicle occupants to wear seat belts, a law that came into effect on December 1, 1984. New Hampshire is the only state that has no enforceable laws for the wearing of seat belts in a vehicle.[3]"

I would not think of driving a vehicle without wearing a seat belt, 100% of the time. It is ingrained in my consciousness. AP and FSD, like the seatbelt, will continue to improve, and years from now I believe that Automonous Driving will become into law and become second nature to us. Change is hard, even when change is for the good. People will learn to change for the better. Give it time. Common sense will prevail.

This was me today after Biden raw dropped the capital gains announcement... on earthday no less.... I didn't see that coming... just would have preferred no bandaids ripped off mid day.

1619132334091.png

This was me today after Biden raw dropped the capital gains announcement... on earthday no less.... I didn't see that coming... just would have preferred no bandaids ripped off mid day.

View attachment 656102
I was gonna complain about his stupid timing earlier but then somebody wrote something about a leak. Seeing your post made me google and it wasn't a leak. They actually seem to have timed it to be on the same day. Some politicians really are trying their best to not succeed.

All of the related FUD is actually free advertising for innovations being developed by Tesla.

Curt is right here, clickbait journalism works, but it is part of the process of educating the public., It also helps motivate Tesla staff and keep everyone proactive on product improvement, audit trails, quality and safety.

There are 3 possible paths to convert an initial skeptic:-
  1. They progressively learn more about Tesla and AP and change their thinking.
  2. The FUD sparks a chance conversation with a Tesla owner, and as a result they question their thinking.
  3. The conclude EVs and Autonomy are inevitable, the cheapest options are the American made Tesla, or some CHinese brand they have never heard of.
IMO when you zoom out on the big picture FUD isn't effective, In particular it will not stop Tesla improving their products, or succeeding with the mission.

We are in a progressing from more FUD to less FUD, and more effective FUD to less effective FUD.

The rate of that progression is determined only by the rate at which success in the mission is achieved.

When the mission is successful, we have a number of positive outcomes which diminish FUD:-
  1. Vanquished enemies reman critics, but are less relevant,
  2. Tesla brand image changes from new and expensive, to routine and good value for money,
  3. More people have met happy Tesla owners, experienced a ride in a Tesla, or become better informed.
  4. EVs and Autonomy become the only option.
  5. There is a generational shift with younger owners preferring Tesla, ignoring mainstream media, and growing up with Tesla as an aspirational brand,
  6. Action on Climate Change and the mission, is perceived positively by the public,
I'll list the vanquished enemies in the order I seem them being defeated:-
  1. Shorts
  2. Coal
  3. Oil
  4. ICE carmakers (can convert to EVs)
  5. Car dealerships
  6. Non-autonomous ride hailing
  7. Gas
Mostly defeated enemies just end up as angry old men with a lot less money, with fewer people listening to them.

When we get to this stage, clickbait journalism remains nothing more than free advertising, or light amusement.

Everyone remembers the fulltime score, not the halftime lead.

Last edited: