Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If we’re pissed off, imagine how he feels.
On the other hand, the last time he was pressured massively by shorts, was just before he tweeted his Funding secured at 420.

I just hope it doesn’t push him to the limit like it did during production hell and while the short % was at its highest

Yeah, that wasn't pressure from shorts in Aug 2018, that was the Saudi's take-over / take-private attempt:

News of the attempt broke on Aug 7th by the Financial Times: Elon's 420 tweet was within an hour of this story (we also learned later that the Saudi's made an offer in Apr 2018 to take Tesla private, which Elon rejected). That's when the Saudi's starting building a 5% share of TSLA:
Saudi Arabia's sovereign wealth fund builds $2bn Tesla stake | ft.com Aug 7, 2018

Elon Musk confirms Saudi Arabia wants to take Tesla private, he elaborates on thought process behind the deal | Electrek

Later, the Saudi's sold off their TSLA stake and bought a controlling interest in EV competitor Lucid (BTW who still have zero products in the market 3 years later):
Tesla challenger Lucid Motors also in talks with Saudi Arabia | Aug 20, 2018
Saudi Arabia owns more than half of Lucid Motors | Jun 25, 2020

So Elon protected the Tesla Mission by thwarting the Saudi's from slow-walking Tesla during the critical Model 3 production ramp. His blog post on Tesla.com from Aug 13, 2018 explains his reasoning. But it wasn't pressure from shortzes.

Last edited:
Does anyone here see a conflict of interest if, I dunno... the "Ford Foundation Executive" were to "Lead Consumers Reports"? ~~~Moderator: Irrespective of a suggestion of this poster, I am not deleting it but am urging all readers to follow its brief follow-up - posts #258,952 and 258,954 especially - prior to reacting to this post. Thank you.~~~

Last edited by a moderator:
If this bill passes and it's retroacted, it completely shuts down selling of stocks, especially those who are selling in large chunks. However I have a feeling Dividend stocks will get a lot of love from this, while growth stocks not so much when it comes to new money.
I'ma highlight this post tomorrow in the "Shorting Oil" thread. Interesting point.

This could push out the demise of big oil shares by a year or so if it has the impact you think. Important tidbit for those waiting to load up on long oil major puts.

• Informative
Reactions: FireMedic

the media’s outrage didn’t seem to have an ill effect on Tesla in China, though. Twitter user @Ray4Tesla shared a video and tweets showing that Teslas are [as] desirable as ever in China.

I think it's interesting that this time, instead of the usual sly raising of earnings estimates to try and neuter the positive earnings report, it's instead an all-out coordinated media blitz to try and destroy Tesla in the court of public opinion with a tidal wave of FUD. The tactics have changed, probably because at this point it's no longer possible to kill Tesla by denying it capital it needed during its startup phase. As we enter the steep portion of the S-curve, the last hope for all the powerful interests which are still trying to destroy Tesla is to make them get crushed by government action. The media blitz, the involvement of Senators, the attempts to hijack regulatory agencies, this all points to the new direction of attack. Media outlets are all too happy to do exactly as their puppet masters demand these days.

I remember the early days of what was then called "Vice News" where some crazy people went down to riots with cell phones and live streamed unrest directly to the internet. That was some amazing guerrilla reporting in the beginning. Now Vice is little more than another mouthpiece of corporate media interests, no different from Vox in that regard. Vox is corporate trash, Vice is corporate trash, HI VICE HOW'S IT GOING GUYS? YOU ENJOYING LURKING OUR LITTLE INSIGNIFICANT FORUM?

I tell you the whole autonomous space is an open playing field for regulators and those with heavy opinions on what it should entail. Tesla brought out what they thought would be sufficient enough, but we all know it's not up to them to make the rules, and especially not up to the competition to abide with their early decisions.

With saying that, I hope the negative media's response lays heavy on Elon as the damage is already done.

Maybe to solve autonomy we'll need to retrofit something to existing cars, which would hurt the stock but only temporary.

Long story short, I hope Elon rips this Band-Aid off quick, humbles himself and takes the appropriate actions to further enhance safety towards L5.

For those who actually don't know:

"6 corporations own 90% of the media" is a meme WHICH IS ACTUALLY TRUE.

Note that the aforementioned Vice is owned by Disney. The story of Vice is an interesting one, they started out independent but after encountering financial difficulties, ownership passed through the hands of different organizations until eventually they fell under the vast umbrella of The Walt Disney Company. They still pretend to be some independent voice but are anything but, they are just another corporate mouthpiece.

I tell you the whole autonomous space is an open playing field for regulators and those with heavy opinions on what it should entail. Tesla brought out what they thought would be sufficient enough, but we all know it's not up to them to make the rules, and especially not up to the competition to abide with their early decisions.

With saying that, I hope the negative media's response lays heavy on Elon as the damage is already done.

Maybe to solve autonomy we'll need to retrofit something to existing cars, which would hurt the stock but only temporary.

Long story short, I hope Elon rips this Band-Aid off quick, humbles himself and takes the appropriate actions to further enhance safety towards L5.
Humbles himself about what? I don't understand this comment at all. None of this is related to regulation and no faults have been shown in the product.

Tesla brought out what they thought would be sufficient enough, but we all know it's not up to them to make the rules, and especially not up to the competition to abide with their early decisions.
I disagreed because we need to see the level of performance the Tesla solution can achieve, and the data they have to back it up.

Some regulators will accept data and evidence and make decisions on that basis.

If regulators are try to force and impractical solution, I don't see Elon and Tesla backing down, I would expect a very public argument.

To make progress they only need to topple one domino, have a solution that is good enough, and convince one regulator to approve it..
Mostly the problem is having a solution that is good enough, they seem confident they are on the right track...

"Woah woah Shaggy!" (for you youngsters, its a Scooby Doo reference........Youtube it). The flood of negative news is hot and heavy, mentioning Tesla's fastest growing market, China, a major reason for optimism in the stock. Must be a lot of heavy hitters covering.

Last edited:
Note to Mods/Admins. The MachE forum requires a captcha to even view the site. This prevents bots from stealing screencaps etc.

I think that could be easily bypassed simply by registering the bots as users. Yes, one more step but one that would be productive if the bot owner wants the best results. Once registered with cookie, no need to do captcha.

Reactions: ThisStockGood
Humbles himself about what? I don't understand this comment at all. None of this is related to regulation and no faults have been shown in the product.

There might be better alternative solutions out there for problems he tried solving with current Tesla technology regarding L5 (robotaxi). When releasing the MY, he kept cameras, sensors, internal camera, everything the same as M3. He is 100% walking down a path to L5 and not looking back or even looking at others success in the autonomous space - Super cruise. Just my thoughts, I'm a glass half empty type of person but still hold long.

Like for example, from greentheonly videos, it's clear the internal camera has a hard time keeping track of the driver at night without lights, and you can easily trick it. From what Dave Lee on Investing said in a recent video, having a camera alone is not enough, but having an infrared camera can benefit.

Also about Elon being humble, dude still doesn't provide Apple Carplay.

I disagreed because we need to see the level of performance the Tesla solution can achieve, and the data they have to back it up.

Some regulators will accept data and evidence and make decisions on that basis.

If regulators are try to force and impractical solution, I don't see Elon and Tesla backing down, I would expect a very public argument.

To make progress they only need to topple one domino, have a solution that is good enough, and convince one regulator to approve it..
Mostly the problem is having a solution that is good enough, they seem confident they are on the right track...

That's a positive way of thinking, I might be drained from this incredible week of FUD and just thinking out loud.

Reactions: lafrisbee and MC3OZ
Does anyone here see a conflict of interest if, I dunno... the "Ford Foundation Executive" were to "Lead Consumers Reports"?

No.

The Ford Foundation sold off the last of its Ford shares in the early 1960s. Henry Ford II, the family’s sole representative on the Board, departed around 1975, if memory serves. Anyway, between ‘74 and ‘76.

Not for years, but for many decades, the foundation and its programs have either been antithetical to or at most irrelevant to the interests of the motor company.

So much so that to the extent something like that were to worry me at all, it would be had the headline been inverted - were the head of CR to move to 320 E. 43rd. THEN I might worry about FF.

So far I've kept my AGI below $80,000 every year and haven't had to pay any capital gains taxes. I like the 0% tax rate column. (I guess living in a fly over state helps there also).

I'm surprised to say it but this is a Jim Cramer video I agree with about 80-90%.

TL;DW

* don't fear the tax man, base your moves on where the company is going and what it's worth not what your taxes are or will be

* retirement accounts won't get taxed anyway

* keep some change in the couch cushions, be ready to buy some chairs over the next few days as people sell off, but buy companies with good situations that are getting hammered for no good reason right now.

* he touts stocks with dividends (the one part that doesn't apply here)

"Woah woah Shaggy!" (for you youngsters, its a Scooby Doo reference........Youtube it). The flood of negative news is hot and heavy, mentioning Tesla's fastest growing market, China, a major reason for optimism in the stock. Must be a lot of heavy hitters covering.

I am NOT investing in an arrogant company. I'm out, buying Chevron for their humility.

Jesus, weak FUD or what?

Climate denial sprang from the tobacco lobby. They'd rather fight than switch ('cuz that's how they get the girlz)

16.jpg

Big Carbon hired the same PR wonks to slow/tripp up EVs who used to fight tobacco regulations.

Read ur history. Then fight the power.

Peace out.
I think it has been mentioned here before. Elon was an executive producer on a movie called "thank you for smoking", which dealt with this topic in 2005. It seems he went into this fight with his eyes wide open.

Thank You for Smoking - Wikipedia

1619162085574.png

I think it has been mentioned here before. Elon was an executive producer on a movie called "thank you for smoking", which dealt with this topic in 2005. It seems he went into this fight with his eyes wide open.

Thank You for Smoking - Wikipedia

View attachment 656216

Not to mention this gem as Tesla worked overtime to raise production of Model 3 at Fremont to 5K/wk:

Lol, we live in magical times. Magical thinking especially. ;)

Cheers!