Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was serious guys!! ;)
To be honest: I got up early to watch this event, but it was underwhelming.... Both in presentation and in the actual model Y. It doesn't appeal to me as much as the look of the sedan version.
My wife will like it. It’s good that it looks like a normal car. The public got used to Model 3 by now, Model Y is the CUV version of the 3, nothing more to add. I like it too.

Very low on the hype scale. I think this pitch was more to reassure shareholders than to excite car buyers. I think this is a very smart tact. There really is no need for hype. No need to motivate people to put off buying an S, 3 or X now waiting for the Y to ramp. For investors, there was a good message to show just how far the company has grown. They truly do have an impressive line up of product in production and soon to ramp up. There was a strong message about the complexity of manufacturing at scale. 100 times as much work goes into the design the production of the car as the design work that goes into the car itself. So really the focus is not so much on the glitzy product, but on the monumental effort of putting products into high volume production. Yeah, shareholders will care about that, while car consumers might yawn. But given where Tesla is right now, it is good to see this focus on what shareholders need Tesla to deliver.

FAQ: Model Y Order Faq | Tesla

"Model Y is available to order in the United States, Canada, Mexico, China, Norway, Netherlands, Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Austria, Belgium and Spain. You will be able to order Model Y in additional markets soon."

"Model Y production will begin in late 2020 in North America, with deliveries beginning shortly after. Production will begin in Europe and China in the first half of 2021, with deliveries beginning shortly after."

Dont these production timelines seem like 6 months later than what we've heard? Or am I mis remembering.

Reactions: AndyH and saniflash
When will deliveries of Model Y begin?
Model Y production will begin in late 2020 in North America, with deliveries beginning shortly after. Production will begin in Europe and China in the first half of 2021, with deliveries beginning shortly after.

Notice that chinese and european production start much later than North America.

I think Tesla could have rolled an empty refrigerator box out there and some of you would have said, "I love it".

Why is it that nobody can get past their own agenda and bias to form a truly objective opinion? It's the same for the Tesla haters and the Tesla lovers.

Example? I also thought the presentation was underwhelming, they didn't show the car well, but think the car looks great and I'm sure it will sell really well. Does that make me biased? Not sure what you are expecting.

Have to agree with the prevailing sentiment here at the moment. My expectations were low and they were ...met. Would be surprised to see a positive reaction in the market tomorrow, but hope I’m wrong!
Agree. I mean, it will probably sell fine, but the models are now all looking rather similar, due to the aerodynamics. Need better battery tech to allow both greater range and to ease up a bit on the gumdrop shape to allow for more diverse body styling.

On a serious note: with Tesla having announced that some 76 percent of the parts are snagged from the Model 3, I think it already was a given that the two vehicles were going to look at least as similar as what we were shown tonight.

On edit in Mod-mode:

PLEASE do not use this post to repeat that "76%" datum. That is the number I recall; Tesla might, however, have released either 70% or 7_%. Thank you.