Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model S Plaid racecar bares its fangs by overtaking hypercars in Laguna Seca

"Ultimately, the Model S Plaid did not only prove that it was worthy of being on the same track as hypercars like the McLaren P1 and the McLaren Sienna; the race-spec family sedan showed that it could actually dominate its internal combustion-powered counterparts. This was shown in a video shared online, which featured the Model S Plaid casually overtaking the McLaren Senna and P1 with ease. Later comments from the driver of the McLaren P1 noted that the Model S Plaid was so fast, it almost felt like the other vehicles were standing still."​

Video clip on the twitters: (that sound? That's the sound of "inEVitability" Mr. Anderson)

The 2021 Pikes Peak Race will take place on Sunday, June 27 with the green flag dropping at 7:30am. Gates open at 2:30am on Race Day. All spectators must view the race from designated spectator viewing areas. Pikes Peak is about 80 miles South of Denver, CO.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Tesla is currently discounting Model 3/Y ~$1000 in China if you take delivery before the end of the month. And has been for a couple of weeks.

Suggesting there is not a long line of customers stretching for weeks months waiting for their ordered Model 3/Y.

Instead maybe Tesla should exchange some bitcoin for airtime explaining the benefits of its safety systems in China?
It is also suggesting China production is going well.

Q3/Q4 they can always export more overseas, plenty of untapped denand especially for Model Y.

Tesla China has typically been good at marketing and customer engagement.
My impression of China is that most messages are spread by social media, or having promotional events.
Does China have traditional advertising?
A lot of the media is government owned and funded.

We need someone with local knowledge to comment.

Tesla Model S Plaid racecar bares its fangs by overtaking hypercars in Laguna Seca

"Ultimately, the Model S Plaid did not only prove that it was worthy of being on the same track as hypercars like the McLaren P1 and the McLaren Sienna; the race-spec family sedan showed that it could actually dominate its internal combustion-powered counterparts. This was shown in a video shared online, which featured the Model S Plaid casually overtaking the McLaren Senna and P1 with ease. Later comments from the driver of the McLaren P1 noted that the Model S Plaid was so fast, it almost felt like the other vehicles were standing still."​

Video clip on the twitters:

The 2021 Pike's Peak Race will take place on Sunday, June 27 with the green flag dropping at 7:30am. Gates open at 2:30am on Race Day. All spectators must view the race from designated spectator viewing areas.

Cheers!
That’s bonkers!

This spec for the Plaid motors checks out. I would expect close to 10,000 NM when solving for the unknown in this formula: (based on information given at the Roadster reveal in Dec 2017)

3 * 7.5 * x NM = 10,000 NM​
Indeed, we get this for the Plaid's motors:
3 * 7.5 * 470 NM = 10,575 NM​

Although that's likely available only with a higher spec pack. I'd expect Model S Plaid as released on Thu will have closer to 9,000 NM torque at the wheels.

Easy to find out: just hook a Plaid S up to a 13,000 lb truck with its brakes locked, and see if a Plaid S will drag it uphill. :D

Cheers!
My opinion is the boost in solar installation over the past few years has cause a bit of a "Wild West" scenario, which even the recent price increase due to commodity prices and shipping will only make worse. The important thing is getting what you want and knowing what your paying for. Sadly however, there are a lot of people in the trade that are poor craftsman. Pay attention to what's going on and if you see something say something.

PS: I have also have notice a lot of hubris in this industry--it's like they're on a mission from God.

• Disagree
Reactions: StealthP3D
Hey Folks,
I would like to dabble again into investing more fresh money into Tesla and its securities. Can't get enough of TSLA :)
However, I am pretty annoyed and disappointed with my broker Interactive brokers UK, after the Brexit rules came into place. I was forced to switch to IB Ireland and they are asking me for ridiculous margin numbers since then.

I am looking to switch to another broker that provides the best margin rates. I am a European resident and I would be delighted for any suggestions.

I am using degiro. They do not charge for having shares, only for trading. As a HODL'er that suits me perfectly.
When you start an account you will be asked whether they are allowed to lend your shares out or not.
Well, no messing around with my TSLA shares, so that was an easy one for me. :)
I think they are not expensive as a broker, but you can compare things regarding tariffs easily yourself.

The Tesla Brake Fud managed to spread more than I thought it would. My 68 yo father in law asked me about it just this weekend and he watches nothing but HK news. Of course there are zero follow ups or retraction of the story. We who follows it closely saw how the lady is crazy hiring models and the data suggest her father didn't press the brakes hard enough but most people don't.

The sales lead of the cheap mini EV over the Model 3 won't last very long.

That tiny car may be outselling Tesla 2 to 1 in China but I don't think many people realize what kind of death trap they are buying.
Looking over two recent news articles to see why are cheap EVs selling so well in China. Few summary points:
- some buyers save for years to buy the $5000 car
- provincial and municipal incentives to buy locally made EVs
- The cheap EVs comes with a license plate which usually takes months or even years to get
- National pride to buy from a Chinese company
- Newer ones have one air bag for the driver, anti-locking brakes, and other safety features.
- impressive performance - based on an ad showing the car racing up a mountain road
- additional incentive for trading in an ICE car (one that is probably/likely an even worse death trap)

Looking over two recent news articles to see why are cheap EVs selling so well in China. Few summary points:
- some buyers save for years to buy the $5000 car
- provincial and municipal incentives to buy locally made EVs
- The cheap EVs comes with a license plate which usually takes months or even years to get
- National pride to buy from a Chinese company
- Newer ones have one air bag for the driver, anti-locking brakes, and other safety features.
- impressive performance - based on an ad showing the car racing up a mountain road
- additional incentive for trading in an ICE car (one that is probably/likely an even worse death trap)

Didn't news come put about major cities like Shanghai is banning the car from getting easy ev plates?

My brother : I think my next car is going to be a hybrid
Me : You should go all electric. Hybrids are too complicated
Bro : I don't want to spend $100K on a car
Me : Model Y is 50K and Model 3 is even less than that
Bro : Really? I thought they were $100K+. I'm going to check it out.

That's how we get to $3000/share+. 1 convert at a time

Here's another way to get family converts 1 at a time.

I told both my grown children that if they bought Tesla stock, and at any point they sold at a loss, I would pay them the difference.
they bought at about $400 and are holding.

and now watch tesla daily and are both thinking their next car will be a Tesla..

Here is the Options open interest and Max Pain history for Jun 18/21 expiries starting on Apr 9th: (each row shown is the first date on which Max Pain changed)

OI.as-of.2021-06-14.for3rdFriJun2021.png

Notice that the number of open contracts expiring this Friday is now truly epic over 1.4 M contracts representing 140 million shares (that's how many shares traded at the closing cross on Dec 18/20 for the S&P 500 inclusion). And there's still 5 days of trading to go this week.

Buckle up, this could be an unforgettable ride.

Cheers!

Hey Folks,
I would like to dabble again into investing more fresh money into Tesla and its securities. Can't get enough of TSLA :)
However, I am pretty annoyed and disappointed with my broker Interactive brokers UK, after the Brexit rules came into place. I was forced to switch to IB Ireland and they are asking me for ridiculous margin numbers since then.

I am looking to switch to another broker that provides the best margin rates. I am a European resident and I would be delighted for any suggestions.
I’m with flatex. Interest on margin is 3.5%, if I’m not mistaken.

Reactions: amolina
Tesla is currently discounting Model 3/Y ~$1000 in China if you take delivery before the end of the month. And has been for a couple of weeks.

Suggesting there is not a long line of customers stretching for weeks months waiting for their ordered Model 3/Y.

Instead maybe Tesla should exchange some bitcoin for airtime explaining the benefits of its safety systems in China?

And if they exported those cars right now they might not make it this quarter.
Sounds like a good move, and exactly what they have been doing all along.

I have a friend who knows I'm a Tesla fan and routinely refers to Elon as "your boy" when bringing FUD to the discussion. He sent a link to an article titled "Cheap Electric Cars Won't Happen in America Until We Fix the Federal Tax Credit" which seemed to sort of offer the Hong Guang as an example of where the USA needs to be.

I responded with:

Well, cheap electric cars won't happen for a couple of years, and the most significant reason is the current level of battery production, not the tax credits. Though those will certainly help once manufacturers are actually producing vehicles. After batteries, the production volume is the next biggest problem. There is only one car company producing BEV cars in sufficient numbers to make an impact, and without tax credits they are sold out months in advance on the Model 3 and Model Y (the most affordable models) despite doubling production year over year. People are having no problems buying Teslas without tax credits as fast as they can build them.

The tax credit will help, however, it can only be applied when there is an actual vehicle produced to apply it to. The legacy OEMs need to step up to the plate if they want their share of that action.

My boy's company is tracking at or ahead of targets that were made public back in 2014 or 2016, when he stated how the company was projected to grow at a rate of 50% per year, and, that they would produce 500,000 cars in 2020. Everyone laughed at him, back then. (like they did when he said he would make reusable rockets) The laughter got kinda quiet at the end of last year when the target production reached the stated goal on time.

A couple of years back Tesla revealed plans to offer a $25K car in ~2023. It will likely be produced in China first, Texas will probably get another factory built in Austin for that model alone, as will Berlin. Each may have their own version of it designed by each country's local design teams. If the tax credit does come, this quite affordable $25K Tesla car will be a steal at $15K for a full-featured battery electric vehicle.

As opposed to the sub-standard go-kart like the Hong Guang in China. Anything like that car would fail on the US standards for safety. The top five spots at NHTSA for safest cars tested are currently held by Tesla models. Though there is the Arcimoto, if bare-bones is what the US customer is wanting.

The $25K Tesla ($15K after the proposed tax credit) ought to be a perfect example of the "Cheap electric car" that will also actually be produced in sufficient volume. This will happen with or without the tax credit.

As battery production increases, the cost of producing batteries is lowered (based upon Wright's Law), Tesla have traditionally passed that savings on to the customer. If the rate of reduced battery cost continues to follow the trend over the past five years or so, by the time that car is in production it might be sold for $15K before tax credits. Imagine a $5K full-featured BEV after applying the tax credit. Would that be cheap enough?

This aspect of how Tesla operates is why so much FUD exists in the media regarding Tesla's profitability. They put all they can back into growing the company, rather than paying share holders dividends, purchasing advertising, etc. Tesla’s mission is To accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.

Consider the numbers for a little perspective. Ford is offering ~50K of the Mach-E this year, and likely about the same volume of the F-150 Lightning next year or the year after. They don't have the batteries to build more than that. The plans they have for battery production won't come to fruition until 2024 or 2025. Plus, they are grappling with the fact that every BEV they sell takes away a sale of an ICE car that they are also producing. I don't envy the old guard OEMs, they are between a rock and a hard place. Search on "Innovator's Dilemma" for a good explanation of what these OEMs face.

Tesla has 1 Million orders for the Cybertruck on the books and may deliver that many over the next two or three years while "the competition" is delivering only tens of thousands of BEV pickups. Tesla are also very likely to (mind-boggingly) double their overall production and deliveries from 2020 in 2021. The Tesla Model Y is expected to become the best selling model on the planet in the next 12 to 18 months. Not just among EVs, the best selling model of all cars.

Tesla's long-term target has always been an unbelievable 50% production growth each year, which they have consistently met or exceeded for a decade. With Austin and Berlin coming online, 2M is very likely next year as they ramp production. Once they are up to speed, those three factories could put out 2M cars per year, each. Austin and Berlin factories will have their own battery production facility on site and each of the China, German, and Texas factories total cost to build was less than either GM or Ford's annual advertising budget, and takes about a year to do. The huge building in Austin has claimed status as the largest building in the USA. I think this means they beat out USAA HQ in San Antonio for that honor.

When will Ford and GM (and all the others) bring similar BEV production numbers to the table, so that there are more vehicles for the tax credit to be used on?

Cheap Electric Cars Won't Happen in America Until The Manufacturers Build Them.

Last edited: