Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Part of the issue with the recall reporting is that "recall" itself is such a dated term that implies the need to physically "bring back" the vehicle. There needs to be a new term used industry wide for fixes that will happen OTA. "Virtual recall" or "not-a-recall" both seem more accurate.

Edit: CNBC actually does a passing job of highlighting that this is not-a-recall by using quotes around "recall" and clarifying what it means at the top of the article.
View attachment 677944
Faint praise for CNBC twice in two days. What is this world coming to?
The owners of CNBS finally went 'long' Tesla....Bullish AF!

I’m glad they’re working on this feature. I LOVE Tesla…nothing comes close. But this feature could be improved. When I switch from my X to my wife’s M3 I sometimes struggle with (accidental) engagement of the autopilot systems. Not having FSD further complicates things as the car doesn’t react to stop lights/signs.

My X does have FSD and a dedicated engagement stalk (which I prefer), so I never have these issues. As FSD improves, so too will auto pilot features.

Counterpoint; my wife doesn’t like to drive the X because she feels it takes some time for her to adjust to the different controls. So the controls aren’t better or worse in different vehicles per se…but they take some getting used to.

when I have friends new to Tesla I usually recommend not using the auto pilot features unless on the freeway…until they have a strong understanding of their limitations. This is an instance where I do believe that additional training from the delivery team would be beneficial to the mission…as safety is goal #1.

I trust this will all be sorted out in grand fashion. I analogize this to when I used to jailbreak my iPhone for additional features; features that have now been improved (more intuitively) by AAPL through OTA updates.

It just takes time to push perfection to such a large user base. HODLing

Forward Observing

As always, if your focus is short term, feel free to block or ignore me.

Chelsea Sexton is almost spot on in her assessment of US electrification. California, based on what @gene is battling, is closer to zero. Proposition 13, long, long ago is where California lost me, a second generation native.

Ref: at the end of 2019, I installed a new roof (50 year composite tile), followed by the most solar panels I could effectively purchase in a tree rich environment. My $900 earnings from 2020 went to paying down 2021 electricity future billing. My second bill this years budget cycle is down to $35 a month, down from $195 averaging During 2019 & 2020. I am covered by a public utility at that location.

Soon after I retired from active duty in 1994; Germany went on a tear, as I believe, and installed solar panels when and where possible. Now that is impressive ~ hopefully if you live in Germany you can tell me I am right, and not wrong. Please.

My life‘s experiences tell me as a country we are far behind the power curve and why I doubt as a world community we will NOT out run climate change.

I think, Tesla (car side) will knock our socks off. If the pictures are accurate that I have seen of Ford’s with-out chips parked collecting dust, well sadly that will tell it all. Even if Tesla delivers less than expected, desired or wanted; it is still more than the quote the “competition.” Unless, unless you assume the real competition is fossil fuels ~ not Ford, not Chevy; et al. Then the deliveries of Tesla’s, Mustang and Ford e versions make sense.

Fossil fuel industry is like ivy. It is an invasive plant that left unchecked will strangle and kill all that lives. Ivy has no real predictors ~ except me/my wife. Our new to us home in Olympia is now seeing the light of day at a cost of $15K plus or minus ~ the ivy crew removal is not complete. Yes, our home is tactically out numbered 100 to one as ivy is to the left of us, to the right of us, to the rear and front of us, but our footprint will be cleared and monitored until I/we die or sell the place. FYI ~ ivy will kill trees by strangulation. Picture the little guy against Goliath.

Tesla is not in competition, not alone. Tesla is the spearhead or leader ~ if Tesla/Elon fails ~ we all fail.

Recall ~ yep, it needs to be updated/corrected. While teaching beginning computer science; my pet peeve was ~ computer hacking vs computer cracking. As the lab manager at a local university I took pictures of the building where the lab was and then hacked the operating system to insert the picture as the initial splash page partly as humor, but mostly to personalize the lab. On the other hand, someone that criminally cracks the operating system or software program to illegally obtain or steal data is cracking the system. Just like a safe cracker. But the media and others were/are too lazy to know or educate the public on the difference. Some miss information is deliberate.

Well, gotta run, ivy to kill, sockets to be updated, and new hardware as we update the place. My only distractor is getting older every day:) Cannot wait to get my favorite electrician (Werner) in here to upgrade our power line to 320Amp, install our new Tesla charger, and allow the conversation of our two 30 year old furnaces/heat pumps from fossil fuel (natural gas) to electric.

Going to be a hot weekend here ~ stay cool:)

Last edited:
I saw this on CNN's website:

View attachment 677898

I clicked through all 50 cars to see what mean, nasty, terrible things they had to say about the Model 3. It seems like they had messed up the article because, while I clicked through all 50 cars, there were no Model 3's, Model Y's or Model S's on the list. They did badmouth the Model X but they had nothing to go with the cover photo.

I think it's just incompetence. 🤷‍♂️
It's click bait, that's all.

It’s not even funny anymore. She’s an intentional liar and should have to face consequences for her actions.

Such as lose her job and be banned from social media for a period of time. Upon her return there should be a symbol beside her name that warns people she’s a known repeat offender of information dissemination.
Sounds like a perfect job in the media…

Weekend OT:

The Model S Plaid is such a beast :devil. On the street with no drag mode, no cheetah mode 0-60 in 2.1sec with roll out or 2.4sec without roll out at 98% or 50% SOC.

1/4th of mile at 9.39 sec at 98% SOC on the street and 9.5 sec at 50% SOC. This car is being held back by the current tire technology 😅

plaid vs 765LT.PNG

I need get one some how.

The new logistics facility opened up in GigaShanghai this week and looks to be running at full speed already.

View attachment 677932

Presumably this should unlock the next level of Model Y production if they can store/handle more parts.

Yup. Recall when a certain BI reporter doubled down on her "muddy field" report:

Linette Lopez replying to @lopezlinette on Twitter: (Nov 12, 2019)​

#TSLACKS (common-sense) :p

Cheers!

本次召回范围内的车辆由于主动巡航控制系统问题,易造成驾驶员在以下情形误激活主动巡航功能:当车辆处于D挡,驾驶员再次拨动右侧控制杆换挡试图切位时;在车辆急转弯,驾驶员误触碰并拨动右侧控制杆时等。主动巡航控制被误激活后,如果车辆设置的巡航速度不是当前车速,且当前车速低于设定速度时,车辆会加速到设定速度,出现车辆速度突增情形,会影响驾驶员的预期并导致车辆操控误判,极端情况下可能导致车辆发生碰撞,存在安全隐患。

召回 is recall
So I found this article: 由于主动巡航控制系统问题,特斯拉召回28万辆进口和国产Model 3/ Y

And translated to this English:

According to the announcement, due to the active cruise control system problem of the vehicles within the scope of this recall, the driver may accidentally activate the active cruise function in the following situations: When the vehicle is in D gear, the driver again toggles the right lever to try to switch gear ; When the vehicle turns sharply, the driver accidentally touches and toggles the right control lever, etc.

After the active cruise control is activated by mistake, if the cruise speed set by the vehicle is not the current speed, and the current speed is lower than the set speed, the vehicle will accelerate to the set speed, and a sudden increase in vehicle speed will occur, which will affect the driver’s expectations.

I get that travelling at or near the speed limit and accidentally hitting the gear shifter would set the speed to the limit or above, but not at slow speeds. Currently, at slow speeds (<25kph or 18mph) it should always set the speed to the current speed or fail to set any speed. This should apply to any road segment whether it knows the speed limit or not.

I do NOT understand how, under ANY of these situations, where active cruise could be accidentally set to a speed higher than the current speed. Or am I misunderstanding? If someone were to activate cruise while accidentally hitting the shifter down for these circumstances, it would seem that the car would need to be traveling at a very slow speed (turning sharply or attempting to change gears) and thus the cruise set speed would not be above that current speed.

Also, it would seem that the only cars actually recalled will be those that can't be OTAd (i.e. owners that choose not to update for a maximum amount of time or cars that are not heart-beating (aka out of communication).

Article doesn't say what the fix is going to be. Or maybe I missed that as well...
It’s not even funny anymore. She’s an intentional liar and should have to face consequences for her actions.

Such as lose her job and be banned from social media for a period of time. Upon her return there should be a symbol beside her name that warns people she’s a known repeat offender of information dissemination.

She's doing waaaayyyy more than 'conducting an investigation'

controversial.png

Twitter thread about an unfortunate accident (with Elon response). Worth clicking and reading. Certainly makes me happy to drive a Tesla. Yet another story that would be picked up and reported on by an impartial media:

What's great about Elon is that the safety thing is true. From the very first meeting with him, he always, always, always held safety as the top priority. It was a huge part of the reason I went to Tesla and why I continue to be an investor.

Odds of Dying - Injury Facts Motor vehicle, pedestrian and cyclist. All can be nearly eliminated with AI driving cars.

odds of dying.png

According to the announcement, due to the active cruise control system problem of the vehicles within the scope of this recall, the driver may accidentally activate the active cruise function in the following situations: When the vehicle is in D gear, the driver again toggles the right lever to try to switch gear ; When the vehicle turns sharply, the driver accidentally touches and toggles the right control lever, etc.

After the active cruise control is activated by mistake, if the cruise speed set by the vehicle is not the current speed, and the current speed is lower than the set speed, the vehicle will accelerate to the set speed, and a sudden increase in vehicle speed will occur, which will affect the driver’s expectations.

I get that travelling at or near the speed limit and accidentally hitting the gear shifter would set the speed to the limit or above, but not at slow speeds. Currently, at slow speeds (<25kph or 18mph) it should always set the speed to the current speed or fail to set any speed. This should apply to any road segment whether it knows the speed limit or not.

I do NOT understand how, under ANY of these situations, where active cruise could be accidentally set to a speed higher than the current speed. Or am I misunderstanding? If someone were to activate cruise while accidentally hitting the shifter down for these circumstances, it would seem that the car would need to be traveling at a very slow speed (turning sharply or attempting to change gears) and thus the cruise set speed would not be above that current speed.

Also, it would seem that the only cars actually recalled will be those that can't be OTAd (i.e. owners that choose not to update for a maximum amount of time or cars that are not heart-beating (aka out of communication).

Article doesn't say what the fix is going to be. Or maybe I missed that as well...

View attachment 678094
If I follow your question, it's not a new setting of the cruise control speed, but rather a resumption of the previously set speed.
Driver in cruise at 55, pressed the brake to pull into a parking lot, while turning in, accidentally hit the stalk.

Still needs to meet the rules for engaging cruise.

And.... not a problem on new S and X vehicles. :)

View attachment 678094
Only thing controversial about Tesla is they don't spend money advertising 😉

If I follow your question, it's not a new setting of the cruise control speed, but rather a resumption of the previously set speed.
Driver in cruise at 55, pressed the brake to pull into a parking lot, while turning in, accidentally hit the stalk.

Still needs to meet the rules for engaging cruise.

And.... not a problem on new S and X vehicles. :)
Also, I see lots of people drive with cell phones in their hands. Easier to hit the stalk accidentally if you had an object in your right hand.

Reactions: InTheShadows
So, has anyone projected market scenarios, specifically effects on multiples in valuations, where the United States and the world has to deal with out-innovating climate change?

Asking for a friend.

Reactions: ggies07
BREAKING: ('cos that word makes you pay attention 🤣)

Model S non-Plaid, dual-motor variant is being delivered. A recipient in San Antonio TX posted these pics in the local FB group:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1624738957928.jpg
    FB_IMG_1624738957928.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 77
  • FB_IMG_1624738967008.jpg
    FB_IMG_1624738967008.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 67
  • FB_IMG_1624738981512.jpg
    FB_IMG_1624738981512.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 76