Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good morning, Lordstown.

The Justice Department is investigating Lordstown Motors, CNBC has learned, sending shares of the embattled electric-vehicle start-up plunging as much as 17% Friday.

Burns and his CFO exited the SPAC-backed company following an internal investigation that found “issues regarding the accuracy of certain statements” around Lordstown’s preorders, specifically the seriousness of the orders and who was making them.

Btw, I should note that my 240k for Q3 estimate could be low.....quite low. The fact that they're starting Y exports for Q3 and the SR MIC Y is starting to be introduced are good signs that the production jump is imminent.

Agreed, adding a 3rd GA line at Giga Shanghai should lift nameplate production capacity by about 50%.

I don't think its "imminent" quite yet; the new central area 'logistics bldg' was just put into operation in the past week. However, the new buildings in the SE area are not finished to 'dry-in' yet, so I give them ~3 mths until they're operational.

BTW, I think the new NE building is for another Gigapress, and this one will be to upgrade MiC Model 3 to the gigacasting: lower costs/labor + better build quality.

Giga Shanghai will be improving production and margins continuously next year. Then, 2023 is the year of the Model 2. :D

Cheers!

Good morning, Lordstown.

The Justice Department is investigating Lordstown Motors, CNBC has learned, sending shares of the embattled electric-vehicle start-up plunging as much as 17% Friday.

Burns and his CFO exited the SPAC-backed company following an internal investigation that found “issues regarding the accuracy of certain statements” around Lordstown’s preorders, specifically the seriousness of the orders and who was making them.
So pretty much they aren't gonna find anything wrong with them....aka $NKLA.

Tesla Model 3 & Y Are World’s Best-Selling Electric Vehicles in May 2021

A young Tesla continues its development in the global automotive market. Although its factories are currently not strong enough to surpass the production of ICE vehicles, Tesla has already become the best-selling brand in the world's electric vehicle market. The company's cars are gaining a lot of interest and Model 3 & Y became the best-selling EVs in the world in May 2021.

• Record Revenues
  • Record Gross Profit
  • Record GAAP Earnings
  • Record Non-GAAP Earnngs
  • Record Everything ....(even with $115m in Bitcoin impariment charge)

I posted details in the financial thread here:

Here are summaries (one versus Q2 2020 and the other versus Q1 2021):
View attachment 680711
My reading of Elon's views, he's not too concerned about showing higher profits at this point of time.
I have a feeling there will be more investments towards more growth in the future, like on Super Charging, perhaps more towards Solar side.
If that were the case, how much of such investments will be going into R&D line item (thus affecting the Earnings)?

My reading of Elon's views, he's not too concerned about showing higher profits at this point of time.
I have a feeling there will be more investments towards more growth in the future, like on Super Charging, perhaps more towards Solar side.
If that were the case, how much of such investments will be going into R&D line item (thus affecting the Earnings)?

R&D spending has already gone up from $279 million in Q2 last year to $643 million in Q2 this year (estimate by The Accountant). And despite of that earnings are expected to go up by 600% or more.

For any of you that watch weekly's, has the IV collapsed yet after the P&D report?

Price action today was obvious shorting by MMs, followed by capping at their preferred SP.

Obvious move for MMs on Monday will be to buy-to-close all the short sales they did this morning (maybe +4M shares in 1 hr?), especially their naked shorts.

TIA.

sc.TSLA.10-DayChart.2021-07-02.15-00.png

At times we see a surprise jump in spend as high as $100m in a quarter.

For any of you that watch weekly's, has the IV collapsed yet after the P&D report?

Price action today was obvious shorting by MMs, followed by capping at their preferred SP.

Obvious move for MMs on Monday will be to buy-to-close all the short sales they did this morning (maybe +4M shares in 1 hr?), especially their naked shorts.

TIA.
IV tends to increase into earnings … binary event

Coming up on CNBS....Lawyer for owner of Plaid will be speaking ..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:...CNBS announcer called it "Plaide". What great timing....MM's can push it to wherever they feel like after this airs.
Rhetorical question: do they invite the owner/lawyer of every new car that burned down for an interview the day of the deliveries' report of that brand?

Actually, never mind, The Plaid is an expensive, high performance car, so this is interesting..... So did they invite the owner/lawyer of that Florida Taycan that burned down on the day of VW earnings report?

Yeah... that's what I thought.

IV tends to increase into earnings

It's expected to be 3rd week of July. IV doesn't reach max pump until the date is announced.

Anyone wanting long calls should probably buy today.

I could be wrong but I expect TSLA to rise next week once the data is digested and the quarter is going to be a massive top/bottom line beat.

TIA.

View attachment 680762
IV did collapse on the options for today and the next couple of weeks, by about 10 points. Of course, IVs for options expiring after earnings are elevated relative to near-term options. I think the market is unable to make up its mind on options expiring July 23rd. They seem to be giving almost even odds of earnings that week vs the week after. I think the options expiring on 23rd are slightly underpriced if you think earnings are going to come in ahead of that.

But don't you love the smell of crushed IV in the morning?