Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Let's take a moment to marvel at this:
- Tesla is expanding Fremont's production capacity.
- Building out the Kato Road facility
- Significantly expanding Shanghai
- Building a new facilty in Austin
- Building a new facilty in Berlin

..and

- they are not funding this with a Capital Raise
- they are not funding it with Debt
- they are not drawing down their Cash on the balance sheet.

Tesla is funding all this with cash generated from Operations. Yep, the company that "loses money on every car it sells", generates enough cash each quarter from operations to fund this massive expansion.
Even after funding all these Capital Expenditures, they still have cash left over (Free Cash Flow). In fact, since Q2 2020, they will have generated Free Cash Flow of $4.4B by Q2 2021.

View attachment 682754
What news did I miss about Fremont?

Unbelievable that this is still going on. Slant of the article makes it sound like Musk has a good chance of losing…. Where upon he would have to pay two billion back to TSLA? Makes no sense….

So obviously orchestrated by people who want Tesla to fail and it is masqueraded as shareholders protecting TSLA shareholder interests.

A loss in this case will mean nothing in the long run, but I would guess the short term hit to the SP could be significant for absolutely no valid reason I could think of that would apply to the real world.

Are you based in Beijng as your profile states? If so, can you provide any insight about the belief that Tesla demand has been hurt in China from poor publicity (or FUD as we cal it)? From your perspective, what do you see?
Thanks
I posted a msg on the subject Wiki - Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable
Tesla has been growing very rapidly and initially lack of experience to handle some FUD situations effectively and quickly.
Recently it is much better, since they asked people to apologize for inaccurate posting.
China sales is continue to expand well.

Sorry for the slow day OT. My fire department has been buying pierce fire engines for years. We’re a relatively large contract for them. Fingers crossed that soon I’ll be driving EXCLUSIVELY electric vehicles.

This excites me.

Looks like a great start for the future of our fire fighters!

This direct EU page is worth reading, only 2 minutes, but is so amazing...and by amazing I mean it makes my blood boil.

I've worked with folks from these companies and I just loathe thinking this went on for 5 years.

"Daimler was not fined, as it revealed the existence of the cartel to the Commission. All parties acknowledged their involvement in the cartel and agreed to settle the case."

"During these meetings, and for over five years, the car manufacturers colluded to avoid competition on cleaning better than what is required by law despite the relevant technology being available."
People scoff and mock others when they mention a ‘conspiracy theory’ and yet history has repeatedly revealed after the fact many very real, extensive collusion events such as the above.

*We* are in fact capable of evil doings. And while some conspiracy theorists are off their medications (yeah, pointing my finger at those who think anyone who just got vaccinated for COVID now have microchips in their arms or have been magnetized) never doubt the ability of humans to mastermind a devious plan and execute it.

Hello, they have documented VIDEOS of monkeys and humans connected to exhaust tailpipes. They KNEW exhaust was poison decades ago.

Hello, TSLA naked short sellers and manipulators. $650 close today, right? Because that just happens to be the investor balance point of buy and sell today. 🙄

... Price cutting is always a sign of economics working and while investors might not like to see the supply/demand curves working they clearly work; almost as perfectly as gravity...
Conventional wisdom says that. Actual market results are quite different. Many products (e.g. Rolex and all 'luxury' watches, numerous badge-engineered vehicles, designer clothing, Fendi, and the entire lines of LVMH, not to mention Burgundy and Champagne) have higher prices as an integral part of the product. The notion that lower prices stimulate demand is true for commodities, but far less price elasticity of demand exists for clearly differentiated products, most Teslas are in that category.

Elon is speaking to a very different point. Reducing prices on identical models does not advance the Tesla mission in any material way. Producing vehicles intended for urban use, smaller vehicles and other types of vehicle all do contribute to the mission. Elon used shorthand about all that. Many of us imagined that he might think the Model S Plaid is too expensive while rational valuation suggests the Plaid is too cheap, after all the competitors cost several multiples of Model S Plaid price. One might even think the Model S LR is too cheap.

If either of those last cars had been produced by Porsche they'd have the same base price, but the infotainment alone would be, say, $15,000 and the mapping system would be another $5,000 etc. Roughly across Porsche's product lines average MSRPis around 150% of base MSRP. In that case the marketing plan is intended specifically to allow the buyers to disclose the base rather than the actual price, as explicitly stated in a 1989 strategy discussion I attended. Many vehicles fit that model.

FWIW, we all know and repeat the Model 3 vs Model Y economics but do not question higher pricing of Model Y.
Really, please understand that Tesla and Elon Musk DO understand marketing. It is that fact that explains why they disdain dealers and advertising. Those factors enable the Word of Mouth to accelerate, and encourage very high admiration in younger audiences. They will not willy-nilly reduce prices, especially not when they tend to have order volume rise with increased prices.

Nothing about that suggests we will not try to get the best deal we can. Nothing about this suggests Tesla will not expand market segments with new products as soon as they can build the capacity to do so.

Unbelievable that this is still going on. Slant of the article makes it sound like Musk has a good chance of losing…. Where upon he would have to pay two billion back to TSLA? Makes no sense….

So obviously orchestrated by people who want Tesla to fail and it is masqueraded as shareholders protecting TSLA shareholder interests.

A loss in this case will mean nothing in the long run, but I would guess the short term hit to the SP could be significant for absolutely no valid reason I could think of that would apply to the real world.
The dirty rat who wrote the liable lies presumes guilt in the title and in his "if he wins..." comment. If Elon wins the case, then he should be presumed not guilty of the charges. That is the reality of winning the case. However, the people who want him to lose having great stakes in that game are the truly guilty parties, for using our multi-tier "legal (no longer Justice)" system in another attempt to damage and disrupt his and TSLA's... progress to improve our world. They are among the lower forms of human life.

Will the courts accept payment in Bitcoin? 😈

To my mind, this is the point of introducing MY now - get the vehicle out in public, it will surge demand for the Brandenburg product. I really always expected Tesla to do this when the timing was right.
I’m convinced Team Tesla executed a 3-d chess fork tactic. With one move (MIC MY to Europe) they attacked VW EV sales (the cartel revelations make this especially sweet) AND German bureaucracy (GigaBerlin delays resulted in Chinese-produced MY rather than German).

205D8F91-1B2C-4010-A817-D3DA13151C44.jpeg

It's still unwieldy large for European roads and parking lots.

The Model Y will be a hit in Europe. The Cybertruck not so much.

I mean, I want one, but it won't fit in my garage and I don't have a need for it.
Agree on the size, yet unsure based on comments about 3-5% size reduction, I heard Elon M. make while previewing the Cybertruck on MSNBC Jay Leno's Garage(TM). It looks like the Euro version of the Cybertruck may be significantly different than the US and rest of Earth based on the Euro U imposing their nonsense regulations willy-nilly depending on which company they are for. Like GDR not bothering VW on emissions, but every import has to be perfect. LOL
Model Y Standard may be the biggest hit in EU and neighboring countries due to the generally shorter range travel they do.
As for me, I will build a bigger garage if necessary. My tractor can sit in my garage and my truck in the barn. :)

I have to think this is nothing but disastrous for VW. For Europeans that are OK with MIC, it’s a direct ID.4 sales competitor, and when the MIC MYs start showing up and people see how good they are, others will be happy to wait for the MIG version. More ID.4 sales lost.

Same thought here for all of EU. Interesting to see how Norway reacts to ID4 and mach-e sales for this quarter.

choke the competition.

Isn’t it amazing how the strategy of sending MIC 3 and Y to European market is seen as scramble because of the low demand in China, when actually it’s the best marketing strategy to have the product in hands of users that will bring more users. “… the more Teslas Tesla sell, the more Teslas Tesla sells”….

Hit the new markets that will have a factory that will make 2mill cars/year at full capacity so when you ramp you have all the production already sold, BEFORE you even produce it. Genius, and definitely not what the “vintage manufacturing” does. 😁

Buying a Plaid helps the mission:

- buying Tesla's high margin cars accelerate the buildout of factories more than the low margin cars.
- the Plaid can deliver a hardcore smackdown to fossil fuel performance cars.
There is nothing quite so satisfying as finding a rational argument for making a grossly irrational purchase.
OK, may I begin feeling self-righteous now?🧔

Shares have only gained 1,759% since 2016. I need my rights protected from foolish business decisions!