Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Yes, and much more likely to be the new Palladium pack with Japanese 18650s. The 'signing ceremony' photo shows no view of the cells, nor any closeup of the pack's labels.

The original claim of '4680s ready' on Reddit was probably just more click-seeking behavior (a poor source of facts).

Yes, and much more likely to be the new Palladium pack with Japanese 18650s. The 'signing ceremony' photo shows no view of the cells, nor any closeup of the pack's labels.

The original claim of '4680s ready' on Reddit was probably just more click-seeking behavior (a poor source of facts).

I tend to agree. This looks like the Model S pack, which we now know does NOT have 4680 cells in it.

Bas

Based on alexa analysis, Tesla.cn dropped from a rank of 6k down to 9k at the peak of the slump. There's definitely a drop in demand that is now recovering with more positive news out of tesla.
But can alexa really be trusted? Really? She often can’t answer my simplest questions, though she’s happy to tell me all the new things I can have her do, if I only ask her.

But can alexa really be trusted? Really? She often can’t answer my simplest questions, though she’s happy to tell me all the new things I can have her do, if I only ask her.
not sure if this is just missing an "/s" or not, but @Singuy is referring to the service that's tracking and showing the traffic rank of the most important web properties; not Amazon's voice assistant.

not sure if this is just missing an "/s" or not, but @Singuy is referring to the service that's tracking and showing the traffic rank of the most important web properties; not Amazon's voice assistant.

If in doubt, assume /s. It’s nearly impossible for me to say/type/post anything without it being 99% sarcasm. But I’m working on bettering myself. That’s down from 99.99% from just 10 years ago.

Edit: /s

Awesome - here is the tweet for reference:
It may be a 4680 pack, but it is also a S/X pack. It may have more structure then before (but I don't see that). But it is not a full structural battery pack. It is designed for a vehicle that already has a floor. The new structural Y pack design shows it acting as the frame rails and entire lower middle section of the vehicle. This pack looks to be almost entirely compatible with the 2021 S/X. It is also probably physically compatible for the most part with the older S/X but probably not electrically.

In my opinion, this is the pack for the discontinued (or maybe not discontinued) Plaid+. Or it is an indication that Tesla will increase the S/X supply by building some cars with 4680. But I don't think Tesla would give up 9GW of 18650 production. So that means increased supply.

I have to be honest, I'm of two sides regarding all the recent price hikes on Tesla's:

1) As an investor I LOVE the price hikes because it's likely increasing margins and bolstering the bottom line!

2) As someone who supports Tesla's mission to accelerate EV adoption I HATE the price hikes because moving Tesla cars further out of reach of the customers is actively working against the mission.

I think I'd prefer it if the prices of Tesla's were trending downward, not upward.
Tesla’s Mission is
1) Displacing fossil fuel usage.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe your thinking goes like this:

2) In order to achieve 1 we need to sell a ton of EV’s
3) In order to achieve 2, we need lower prices.

However 3 is merely one means to an end. Tesla’s mission is displacing fossil fuel. It is NOT providing cheap cars. Don’t forget the actual mission.

Tesla displaces just as much fossil fuel by selling a Model S after a $5k price increase as it does selling a Model S before that price increase. So as others have pointed out, price increases only hurt the mission if they then cause Tesla to sell fewer vehicles than otherwise or to grow production more slowly.

I believe the global luxury market is in the neighborhood of 5M vehicles per year. If someone has more accurate figures, please chime in. I don’t think it unreasonable to believe Tesla can garner 50% of the existing market plus expand it. If I am correct, then Tesla will not need lower priced models to keep growing until 2024 or so. In the meantime, they will act as a giant wrecking ball across legacy auto’s most profitable $40k+ segments. Especially when Model Y hits full stride.

Another way to view the mission is to envision the end game. We need dozens if not hundreds of giant factories pumping out TW’s of solar, TWh’s of batteries and 10’s of millions of electric transport of all kinds. We are trying to completely replace some of the largest industries on Earth and that is a massive and gigantic project.

Redirecting to a completely sustainable economy requires tons and tons of capital.

To sum up:
1) Any extra capital Tesla can generate now will be a key component in rapidly building the factories needed. Thus it ACCELERATES the mission.
2) Lower priced EVs will undoubtedly be required in a few years to keep growth, but that time is not yet here.

Smartphone share has no relevance that I can see.
Auto plants are huge and extremely costly endeavors. Scaling auto (or any other huge capital intensive plants ) at 50% annual growth is unprecedented in history (aside from Tesla) to the best of my knowledge. Much less the 70-80% rate Tesla is aiming for in the short run.

There is the factor of competition starting from a smaller base that makes it easier, but there are also many countervailing factors and handicaps for both startups and legacy that should more than offset that.

Can you give any examples other than Tesla of sustained 50% annual growth in capital intensive heavy industries?
The problem with this logic is that it ignores what happens when major disruptions happen. For reference:
Ford Motor Company 1909-1920, General Electric, Bell Telephone, At&T, International Harvester or even Kodak and Xerox.
Smartphones are indeed capital intensive, but are not necessary.
There are of course the Standard Oil Company, Firestone etc.

I did not list the growth rates because all of these had major mergers and reorganization that made accurate estimate possible but prone to major errors.

The point is that major technological developments produce massive growth rates until they reach saturation. The question is whether renewable energy products, including electric vehicles will have similar durable competitive advantage to those others. That question is the fundamental one we all keep discussing and debating.

Arguing that Tesla is unprecedented ignores the history of major disruptive events. It si well to recognize that it does not take much to destroy those wondrous examples. Many of them disappeared entirely, some survived but quite diminished. The lessons of Kodak, Xerox, Nokia and others are instructive, in my view.

Still we all think mostly about automotive issues.Therefore the legacy fo automotive brands, and technology changes are closely intertwined;

We should think about how durable Elon Musk might be, and wonder whether Tesla, SpaceX etc can thrive without him. The timeline linked shows just how ephemeral success tends to be. Sustainable growth rates as some of us imagine do indeed diminish when growth becomes too frightening or other people begin to attack.

Right now we see Amazon, Apple and Huawei are under hard attack because of their outsized success with business models and technology that other find difficult to match. For all of them FUD has become official government policy just as accusation so nefarious deeds. Facebook, Twitter, Ant group and many others have seen FUD becoming widely believed, We may the seeing similar threats for Tesla and Space X, with SpaceX perhaps the most blatantly obvious example of unprecedented technological advance over everyone else.

So, I think the question fo how long a gigantic growth rate can continue is essentially a political question, not technological.

Perhaps most of us ignore how deep the technical advantage is for Amazon, driven by mastery of logistical and analytical innovation largely unmatched.

So, with respect, I think the question fo growth rate for Tesla ends out being a political question more than it is technological.