Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 2nd Model Y GA line coming online within 3 month increases Giga Shanghai nameplate annual production capacity by ~50% (300K Models 3, 250K Model Y NMC, +250k Model Y LFP in Q3). And yes, Tesla built the 3rd Stamping workshop to support this 3rd GA line (Chur!)

JPMorgan on Tesla “With this competitive offering (Model Y LFP), we believe Tesla Shanghai’s production volume (domestic sales and exports) will continue to ramp from the current ~33k units/month toward potentially 40k-60k units/month by year-end.” $TSLA​

E53m95EX0AMwv2i

Cheers!

P.S. I estimate Giga Shanghai's nameplate production capacity to reach 67K/mth by the end of 2021 (higher then the est'd range of 40-60K/mth from JPMorgan Asia-Pacific)
Quite remarkable that installed capacity has just jumped c.1/4 compared to Q1. That is with no new factories coming on line and little fanfare - just expansion of current factories. Shanghai should increase to 700k if the above is accurate.
1625904325825.png

Wholemarsblog was livestreaming on Twitter until he got nuked. I think ninjas were watching social media for anyone breaking the "no driving while streaming" rule.

Anyways, from what I was able to see before he got deleted...
It's probably getting to the point where we should start shopping for yachts.

Bah... we're not shopping for mountains anymore? Was it that bad? /s

Installed!
UI the same.
They have smoothed out the dots.
View attachment 683164

OCR performed 3:16 AM PDT 7/10/2021

Full Self-Driving (Beta)
Full Self-Driving is in early limited access Beta and must be used with additional caution. It may do the wrong thing at the worst time so you must always keep your hands on the wheel and pay extra attention to the road. Do not become complacent. When Full Self-Driving is enabled your vehicle will make lane changes off highway, select forks to follow your navigation route, navigate around other vehicles and objects, and make left and right turns. Use Full Self-Driving in limited Beta only if you will pay constant attention to the road, and be prepared to act immediately, especially around blind corners, crossing intersections, and in narrow driving situations.​

IMO, Tesla is showing the appropriate level of caution with this 1st limited release of FSD Beta v9.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Interesting.

I'm guessing these are climate controlled trailers. presumably for storing production material.
1625905221720.png

There's a few little forklifts busy today. With the number moving around I'd guess that production is increasing over past weeks. The bulk containers they are carrying is also in line with other articles describing how cathode/anode material is moved.

1625905302154.png

1625905336909.png

Quite remarkable that installed capacity has just jumped c.1/4 compared to Q1. That is with no new factories coming on line and little fanfare - just expansion of current factories. Shanghai should increase to 700k if the above is accurate.
View attachment 683169

Indeed, I was going with the numbers from last year, 300K/yr Model 3 capacity at Giga Shanghai, and tacking on 250K for each of 2 Model Y lines (because 5K/wk capacity per line is sorta a Tesla benchmark).

That's 800K/yr at Shanghai by the time that both Model Y lines are fully ramped (2022). I think they'll be able to increase Model 3 capacity also, when they make the switch to gigacastings.

That'll free up some robots from the body line, which I presume will be put to good use for the new Model 2 factory (also featuring gigacastings), which I expect by 2023.

Cheers!

Last edited:
Wholemarsblog was livestreaming on Twitter until he got nuked. I think ninjas were watching social media for anyone breaking the "no driving while streaming" rule.

Anyways, from what I was able to see before he got deleted...
It's probably getting to the point where we should start shopping for yachts.
I’m looking for a yacht with FSS? Anybody know a vendor offerring Full Self Sail?

but I was wondering if anyone has an idea for announcement of the earnings date?
As per ir.tesla.com site, the announcements were made on:

Friday Apr 9 2021
Thursday January 14 2021 ***
Thursday October 8 2020
Wednesday July 8 2020
Wednesday April 15 2020 ***
Friday January 17 2020 ***
Wednesday October 9 2019
Thursday July 11 2019
Wednesday April 10 2019

Since it will be after the 12th, it looks like equal chance it will be next Wednesday Thursday or Friday.

To me this means probably another share price range bound week, just like last week, but $TSLA to rise sharply either next Friday or starting the Monday after that, and into the conference call.

Last edited:
I am sooooo happy someone invented Fast Forward.

Yeah, that was 10 min of some brain-dead mileage to appease the U-tube algos.. The following video by California-based Beta tester James Locke has much more FSD action:

As could reasonably be expected, this early release of FSD Beta v9 is 'nerfed' for unprotected left-hand turns. James says the car was asking for comfirmation to proceed before turning left, which he provided with a gentle nudge on the accelerator pedal.

Overall, James has been one of the best Beta testers IMO, and I look forward to his 1st daylight video with more traffic at turns and intersections. Here's his Youtube Channel:

Cheers!

Last edited:
I’m a long time reader of the investor discussions but now a first time poster to this forum, so here goes.

The subject i want to bring everyones attention to is what might be an emerging new opportunity for Teslas large grid scale batteries which have already had some success in my country, Australia. The Tesla Hornsdale battery in South Australia was until recently the largest globally to supplement the grid (and very profitably) at times of peak demand.
But i thought i would draw attention to a potentially entirely new use of Teslas batteries - to provide inertia. Until now this has been the preserve of traditional power stations by virtue of their massive ‘always on’ turbines, and this low inertia has been essential to maintain consistent voltage frequency on the electricity network. Apparently, condensers at a estimated cost of $500M can do this, however a $62M experimental project at Wallgrove near Sydney could prove that batteries can be an effective low cost substitute for inertia, instead of our coal fired power stations so beloved by our Australian Federal Government. This project will attempt to create what they are referring to as ‘synthetic inertia’ presumably through clever software in the system to intervene and maintain the correct frequency. I can’t tell whether this new capability is being provided by Tesla as part of their BMS or another third party involved in the project - perhaps someone on this forum knows more? I’m not an electrical engineer but as an investor this seems very interesting, and if it is provided by Tesla then it would be another unique selling point in what is a massive growth market for large grid connected batteries. I’ve linked to the project overview undertaken by Lumea, a subsidiary of Transgrid, below.

it's amusing to watch ICE manufacturers try to add more technology to their cars. The user experience is so abysmal that most of the features will never get used. Tesla's lead in software, and user experience in general, is a huge differentiator. it is like DOS vs GUI on a PC
The only advantage Legacy auto makers have over Tesla is the constant flow of misinformation they feed up people with ads filled with false narratives like “The most sold SUV in Canada” for the Subaru Forester. “The Most efficient of its category” for the F-150, etc. We underestimate the number of people getting only their info from TV and ads making their choice with what they are repeatedly told over ads or over Facebook/google sponsored ads.

Once the demand becomes gradually to an equilibrium with production, this would be the next addressable customers who buy what they see at the Super Bowl ads.

Uninformed consumers tend to buy what they hear about the most or vote for the politician who has been spoken the most about in media. That’s just how the primate neurological pathways work. Tesla is currently focusing on the people who are able to reason and take rational decisions to choose the superior product. They do not address the lizard brain segment. ;)