Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As per ir.tesla.com site, the announcements were made on:

Friday Apr 9 2021
Thursday January 14 2021 ***
Thursday October 8 2020
Wednesday July 8 2020
Wednesday April 15 2020 ***
Friday January 17 2020 ***
Wednesday October 9 2019
Thursday July 11 2019
Wednesday April 10 2019

Since it will be after the 12th, it looks like equal chance it will be next Wednesday Thursday or Friday.

To me this means probably another share price range bound week, just like last week, but $TSLA to rise sharply either next Friday or starting the Monday after that, and into the conference call.

So based on the last two years the earliest we can expect an announcement is on Wednesday (14 July). I assume that would be too late for announcing earnings on 21 July, so I guess it will be on 28 July this time.

Reactions: lafrisbee
I’m a long time reader of the investor discussions but now a first time poster to this forum, so here goes.

The subject i want to bring everyones attention to is what might be an emerging new opportunity for Teslas large grid scale batteries which have already had some success in my country, Australia. The Tesla Hornsdale battery in South Australia was until recently the largest globally to supplement the grid (and very profitably) at times of peak demand.
But i thought i would draw attention to a potentially entirely new use of Teslas batteries - to provide inertia. Until now this has been the preserve of traditional power stations by virtue of their massive ‘always on’ turbines, and this low inertia has been essential to maintain consistent voltage frequency on the electricity network. Apparently, condensers at a estimated cost of $500M can do this, however a $62M experimental project at Wallgrove near Sydney could prove that batteries can be an effective low cost substitute for inertia, instead of our coal fired power stations so beloved by our Australian Federal Government. This project will attempt to create what they are referring to as ‘synthetic inertia’ presumably through clever software in the system to intervene and maintain the correct frequency. I can’t tell whether this new capability is being provided by Tesla as part of their BMS or another third party involved in the project - perhaps someone on this forum knows more? I’m not an electrical engineer but as an investor this seems very interesting, and if it is provided by Tesla then it would be another unique selling point in what is a massive growth market for large grid connected batteries. I’ve linked to the project overview undertaken by Lumea, a subsidiary of Transgrid, below.

The Tesla Hornesdale battery already provides inertia. It was basically a software upgrade. Yes, Tesla provides the software.

Reddit people are saying most of the employees who signed works at Nevada and not Fremont. So let's file this under rumors without more credible source.
When starting a new production line for the first time, my company would fly in the best line workers from another site to validate the line. They would be housed locally and fly home on weekends. Likely Nevada employees working in Fremont for this line initiation.

The reverse is true. There are also rumors of new Austin employees working in Fremont on equipment to get ready for the Model Y, Cybertruck and Semi. This is the best way to have a trained team just as the Austin site is ready to start.

The global Tesla market share will probably rise for the next few years but later will rise. Why? As many manufacturers launch more BEV’s and those become better, which will happen, Tesla will inevitably lose market share. Tesla share of BEV global profit will probably remain very high. While many OEMs will fail, those that remain will be much better producers than they are now.

That should not be controversial. It is quite analogous to the Apple progression since iPhone.
The question is really when the best of the others reaches high volumes. That is obviously open to debate. Given the regulatory environment in most of the largest markets the entire industry should see growth at very high levels during the next few years, leaving the question of ‘how high’? Will Tesla actually grow faster than all competitors combined? Will governments tolerate Tesla as the only viable competitor?

Even Tesla does not want to be the only one. Once all the factories currently under construction have been completed the rate of volume growth will decrease. Energy products will accelerate.

Just look at the current battery production facilities under construction in the world. Tesla should not end out as a nearly monopolistic producer. That would negate the Tesla mission.
Smartphone share has no relevance that I can see.
Auto plants are huge and extremely costly endeavors. Scaling auto (or any other huge capital intensive plants ) at 50% annual growth is unprecedented in history (aside from Tesla) to the best of my knowledge. Much less the 70-80% rate Tesla is aiming for in the short run.

There is the factor of competition starting from a smaller base that makes it easier, but there are also many countervailing factors and handicaps for both startups and legacy that should more than offset that.

Can you give any examples other than Tesla of sustained 50% annual growth in capital intensive heavy industries?

When starting a new production line for the first time, my company would fly in the best line workers from another site to validate the line. They would be housed locally and fly home on weekends. Likely Nevada employees working in Fremont for this line initiation.
Except the Model S/X battery pack is, and always has been, built exclusively at Fremont. The bare 18650 cells arrive from Japan and are built into modules then packs. Bty pack production started at Fremont in 2012, about 4 yrs before Giga Nevada built their first 2170 cell, or Model 3 pack.

The reverse is true. There are also rumors of new Austin employees working in Fremont on equipment to get ready for the Model Y, Cybertruck and Semi. This is the best way to have a trained team just as the Austin site is ready to start.
This is true. We've seen multiple rumors that a Cybertruck test line is being built in Fremont to assist production engineering. Also, the first Semi prototypes were likely built in Fremont, as may be the first batch of pre-production Semi's (perhaps by year-end).

Cheers!

The only advantage Legacy auto makers have over Tesla is the constant flow of misinformation they feed up people with ads filled with false narratives like “The most sold SUV in Canada” for the Subaru Forester. “The Most efficient of its category” for the F-150, etc. We underestimate the number of people getting only their info from TV and ads making their choice with what they are repeatedly told over ads or over Facebook/google sponsored ads.

Once the demand becomes gradually to an equilibrium with production, this would be the next addressable customers who buy what they see at the Super Bowl ads.

Uninformed consumers tend to buy what they hear about the most or vote for the politician who has been spoken the most about in media. That’s just how the primate neurological pathways work. Tesla is currently focusing on the people who are able to reason and take rational decisions to choose the superior product. They do not address the lizard brain segment. ;)
I fully agree with what you wrote but it was just another way to say "Tesla has no demand problem for as far as the eye can see". With increasing production, I fully expect Tesla will bump up against the demand limit in specific locals, at least temporarily and sporadically (as they have been doing for years). But the demand limit is very fluid and constantly growing, most recently, much faster than production, and demand will continue to grow as more people continue to learn that Tesla's exist and can actually be purchased easily. Of course BEVs are not immune to most of the same forces that are capable of throttling ICE vehicle demand, like economic recession. But BEV's have an advantage even here because their demand/supply ratio would be starting from a higher ratio.

What many don't realize is that the demand limit has a HUGE buffer built in to it, namely that a large portion of new car buyers will not buy a car until it is sitting in front of them. This means, a small stock of cars ready to buy at any given delivery center increases demand such that they WILL be sold - it just takes a few more days to match the vehicles with buyers. True demand is MUCH larger than current sales (which are almost entirely "order and wait" sales). The metrics that matter are production volumes and cost to produce because the demand will be much larger than production for years to come, possible recessions excepted. The reason for this is highlighted every time a new BEV that doesn't compare very favorably with a Tesla hits the market. And we already know gas cars have an increasingly difficult job competing with the most cost-effective BEVs every year that passes because BEV's are improving the amount of value offered each and every year, something gas cars are not doing and that "problem" with ICE cars will only get worse as BEVs become more mainstream.