Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Good news for the planet, and for the renewal energy and EV industries.

VENICE (REUTERS) - G20 finance leaders recognised carbon pricing as a potential tool to address climate change for the first time in an official communique on Saturday (July 10), taking a tentative step towards promoting the idea and coordinating carbon reduction policies.

Such tools include investing in sustainable infrastructure and new technologies to promote decarbonisation and clean energy, "including the rationalisation and phasing-out of inefficient fossil fuel subsidies that encourage wasteful consumption and, if appropriate, the use of carbon pricing mechanisms and incentives, while providing targeted support for the poorest and the most vulnerable," said the communique from the financial leaders of the world's 20 major economies.

"It is the first time in a G20 communique you could have these two words 'carbon pricing' being introduced as a solution for the fight against climate change," French Finance Minister Bruno Le Maire told reporters. "We have been pushing very hard to have these two words ... introduced into a G20 communique."

Source: G-20 recognises carbon pricing as climate change tool for first time

Last edited:
After watching the FSD v9 videos, I’m glad it’s not public beta yet. I was jelly and wanting ”the button” myself….not anymore. There’s still a lot of work to be done. I don’t know how quickly it happens, but the videos I watched showed me that this product is NOT ready for the general masses today. What the AI team has accomplished so far is impressive, but still seems like a long way to go unfortunately (IMO). I do hope to see rapid progress, but at this point don’t know what to expect. Let’s say it’s definitely more than “2 weeks” away.

I’m interested to see how it does in more rural areas. I suspect there will be a fair bit of work needed there. For instance, I’m in the Philly burbs, which you wouldn’t describe as rural on the whole, but there’s still a lot of woods and farmland around. With the pre-fsd-beta stop sign control, the car stops at/before the white lane painted on the road. Which sounds reasonable, except there are a ton of intersections where the view of cross traffic is blocked by undergrowth until you pull up well past the line. There are roads with curves and close growth on the sides where autopilot set at speed limit +5 causes the car to set off the forward collision alarm (some where it makes the turn in spite of that and at least one where I take over because it seems to be headed into a hedge). There are right curves on narrow roads where the car drifts over to the center line, but opposing traffic often runs at/over the center line to soften the leftward curve on their side. There are uncountable roads where the prevailing speed is over +5 over the speed limit, and other drivers ride your *ss if on autopilot set for ”only” +5. There are 1.5-lane bridges with “yield to opposing traffic” signs that autopilot ignores. There are 2-lane bridges so narrow that everyone folds their mirrors to make it through, except autopilot wants to drive a foot into the opposing traffic. There are roads with no lane lines where autopilot wants to stop behind cars parked on the side of the road. There are narrow roads with oncoming wide delivery or utility trucks that overhang the center and must be dodged. There are cyclists that autopilot will slow behind but not pass. Numerous mail and delivery and garbage trucks that park half or fully in the travel lane that autopilot either doesn’t seem to notice or won’t pass. Uncountable road sections with the markings too faded to process. 25mph residential neighborhoods where autopilot counts the speed limit as 45 and when you enter then it will strongly accelerate right up until it passes the first 25mph sign (visible all the while) and then slow way down. In a number of these cases autopilot isn’t strictly wrong, but it isn’t safe or wouldn’t be considered reasonable by other drivers either.

I assume *some* of this will be fixed in the existing FSD beta, but given the emphasis on cities, I sort of doubt it all will.

But hey Elon, I’m here to try it when you’re ready. :)

I’m interested to see how it does in more rural areas. I suspect there will be a fair bit of work needed there. For instance, I’m in the Philly burbs, which you wouldn’t describe as rural on the whole, but there’s still a lot of woods and farmland around. With the pre-fsd-beta stop sign control, the car stops at/before the white lane painted on the road. Which sounds reasonable, except there are a ton of intersections where the view of cross traffic is blocked by undergrowth until you pull up well past the line. There are roads with curves and close growth on the sides where autopilot set at speed limit +5 causes the car to set off the forward collision alarm (some where it makes the turn in spite of that and at least one where I take over because it seems to be headed into a hedge). There are right curves on narrow roads where the car drifts over to the center line, but opposing traffic often runs at/over the center line to soften the leftward curve on their side. There are uncountable roads where the prevailing speed is over +5 over the speed limit, and other drivers ride your *ss if on autopilot set for ”only” +5. There are 1.5-lane bridges with “yield to opposing traffic” signs that autopilot ignores. There are 2-lane bridges so narrow that everyone folds their mirrors to make it through, except autopilot wants to drive a foot into the opposing traffic. There are roads with no lane lines where autopilot wants to stop behind cars parked on the side of the road. There are narrow roads with oncoming wide delivery or utility trucks that overhang the center and must be dodged. There are cyclists that autopilot will slow behind but not pass. Numerous mail and delivery and garbage trucks that park half or fully in the travel lane that autopilot either doesn’t seem to notice or won’t pass. Uncountable road sections with the markings too faded to process. 25mph residential neighborhoods where autopilot counts the speed limit as 45 and when you enter then it will strongly accelerate right up until it passes the first 25mph sign (visible all the while) and then slow way down. In a number of these cases autopilot isn’t strictly wrong, but it isn’t safe or wouldn’t be considered reasonable by other drivers either.

I assume *some* of this will be fixed in the existing FSD beta, but given the emphasis on cities, I sort of doubt it all will.

But hey Elon, I’m here to try it when you’re ready. :)
Good comments I can agree with. Clearly pure vision has been a watershed improvement but these small bridges are going to be tricky. I have a one lane bridge (stone) where opposing traffic when stopped, sits in a depression invisible to approaching traffic (not a problem if sitting on a horse). You have to know about it or you may enter the bridge blind to an approaching vehicle. I guess backing off the bridge could be an option. I have done it.

Reactions: saniflash
Shouldn’t be a surprise to anyone that Tesla offering a cheaper variant of the most popular car form factor on the planet (SUV) in the worlds biggest car market (China), would lead to a dramatic increase in demand compared to the previous level they had with only a higher priced model.

It shouldn’t be a surprise…but no doubt it will be for many of the TSLAQ rubes.

The global Tesla market share will probably rise for the next few years but later will rise. Why? As many manufacturers launch more BEV’s and those become better, which will happen, Tesla will inevitably lose market share.
No, ICE cars will lose market share. There is no "EV Market", there is only a Car Market. An "EV Market" is the Analyst Fallacy: "No one wants an electric car so there is only a limited amount that will ever be sold". If all EV manufacturers make (and sell) more non-compliance EVs, then everyone wins.

I'm sure somewhere in New Mexico Elon is amused by this 4680's thing because he's planning on dropping the bomb in a few weeks on the earnings call anyways that 4680 are in production for Austin and Berlin-built vehicles.
I'm somewhat surprised that Bill Wright has been an open source of insider information without any hand slapping by Tesla. Does anyone remember Vicki Salvador? She worked in the paint shop at Fremont and was regularly posting updates on the goings on and production numbers as an insider. She was mostly positive in her postings but it was somehow in violation. It was rumored that there is some modicum of discretion or maybe even a watered down NDA upon employment which she violated and was eventually fired. She has since become much more critical as could be expected, sour grapes and all.
How does Bill seem to be doxing himself and still allowed to make public announcement without similar consequences? How much longer before he suffers the same fate as Vicki?

I'm somewhat surprised that Bill Wright has been an open source of insider information without any hand slapping by Tesla. Does anyone remember Vicki Salvador? She worked in the paint shop at Fremont and was regularly posting updates on the goings on and production numbers as an insider. She was mostly positive in her postings but it was somehow in violation. It was rumored that there is some modicum of discretion or maybe even a watered down NDA upon employment which she violated and was eventually fired. She has since become much more critical as could be expected, sour grapes and all.
How does Bill seem to be doxing himself and still allowed to make public announcement without similar consequences? How much longer before he suffers the same fate as Vicki?
Vicki used her real name and likeness. Bill doesn't. If he was tweeting production numbers Tesla would be able to narrow down the real identity.

Hmmm. good question.
I see that Electrek and Tasmanian reported that the Y will be sourced from Shanghai but they don't provide a source for this.

I see that @avoigt has also stated the Y to Europe is arriving from Shanghai - maybe he can provide some information.
Happy to. I explained in my CloubHouse session the last Friday to a larger crowd and also in Tweets that there is no proof nor official confirmation that the Model Y delivered in Europe starting August is from Shanghai. IOW it is speculation based on the Model 3 that already is delivered from Shanghai to Europe and the shorter logistic transfer with lower cost and assumed capacity expansion in Shanghai.

We can be totally wrong but the margin is higher if they supply from Shanghai therefore everything IMO points in the same direction.

Nevertheless its pure speculation

Oh, no, I've been completely ignoring the speculation about the battery pack in the photo because, even if it had been 4680 cells, that would not imply Tesla has the manufacturing process dialed to churn them out in high volume. The challenge with designing the manufacturing process is to move from a low yield of useable cells to a very high yield of useable cells. The production line can only be run in short bursts and then it must be shut down, the cells examined and adjustments made to the manufacturing process. This will happen over many iterations. So, even a very low yield from early production line prototypes will result in some good cells at some point in the development of the line. My assumption all along has been that these early "good" cells will be incorporated into packs for testing and validation purposes well before there are commercial quantities. It's too expensive to continue to run a line that, for example, is only putting out 80% good cells.

From the standpoint of an investor, the photo of a signed battery pack is meaningless, even if we knew it actually had 4680 cells inside. I was responding to the speculation that, at some point, it will be announced that 4680 cells are going into volume production of vehicles. Personally, I think it's still far too early for any such announcement but would, of course, be ecstatic if Elon announced they were killing it with the development of 4680 cells and announced it as early as the Q2 earnings. My actual expectations are tempered to hope they are ready for high volume production by Q1 2022. The investor in me would be very pleased with such a timeline.
I can confirm that structural battery packs with 4680s are already at Giga Berlin for assembly testing purposes with the castings.

This is from a source I trust and have confirmed reasons to be reliable.
Those packs are not manufactured in Berlin yet

Mod: Self-marketing material deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good comments I can agree with. Clearly pure vision has been a watershed improvement but these small bridges are going to be tricky. I have a one lane bridge (stone) where opposing traffic when stopped, sits in a depression invisible to approaching traffic (not a problem if sitting on a horse). You have to know about it or you may enter the bridge blind to an approaching vehicle. I guess backing off the bridge could be an option. I have done it.
If this situation is not detectable by human drivers (i.e.- "you have to know about it"), then the bar should be the same for FSD, no? The situation should be remedied in some way (signage, etc...)

That having been said, it will be interesting to see how FSD deals with some blind spots that have been remedied with convex mirrors on the opposing corner...

If this situation is not detectable by human drivers (i.e.- "you have to know about it"), then the bar should be the same for FSD, no? The situation should be remedied in some way (signage, etc...)

That having been said, it will be interesting to see how FSD deals with some blind spots that have been remedied with convex mirrors on the opposing corner...

I know Tesla is banking on "no HD maps, car should act upon what it sees" but IMHO this is unnecessarily restrictive. It also is not like we humans drive ... we mostly drive on roads we know and drive daily so we also use our memory.
Car(s) should remember what it saw happened at certain coordinates and use that memory to its advantage.
Not to drive more blindly but safer ... "yesterday my actions caused emergency braking at this corner, today I'll go slower"

I know Tesla is banking on "no HD maps, car should act upon what it sees" but IMHO this is unnecessarily restrictive. It also is not like we humans drive ... we mostly drive on roads we know and drive daily so we also use our memory.
Cars should remember what they saw yesterday at certain coordinates and use that memory to their advantege.
No to drive more recklesly but safer ... "yesterday my actions caused emergency braking at this corner, today I'll go slower"
you confuse "hd-maps" which tesla opposes with "maps" that tesla uses.

HD-maps mean that you have a map correct to a cm-precision. So you can use i.e. LIDAR to calculate if you are in lane.
Maps is just "yeah .. this street. and better drive not above X" & the car handles the rest.