Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why is there still a chip shortage? It has been going on for months. Initially I heard it was because over a year ago auto manufacturers cut, cancelled or just didn't order many chips because they expected a dramatic slow down in auto sales because of COVID. I had heard that Tesla was less affected because they didn't expect a slow down in sales so left their existing orders intact. So perhaps they underestimated growth but should still be in a better position than the others who cut orders dramatically. Is COVID still somehow affecting the manufacture of these chips? Why has this not started to be rectified after all this time? Does anyone know what is going on?
Blame crypto.

There is a real secular supply shortage across the board for all things chip. COVID caused whipsaws in supply chain and renewed sources of demand from unexpected areas like PCs.

Stunning to consider that we produce quadrillions of the damn thing per year and can’t meet demand.

Think the worst of it is over and in a couple of months it should not be talked about much.

Are you serious? Your complaint is that you got a disagree by me, a moderator, three months ago?! Which, by the way, you got for writing "This is what he should do on Joe Rogan while getting drunk in an all day program". Moderators are also part of this community and can also have opinions, as long as those don't influence their decisions. In this case I thought you were out of line with the getting drunk part and gave you a disagree. Just my personal opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

If you want to continue this further, please do so via PM.

And a general observation: people attach way way way too much value to a disagree.
So many replies and so much time spent replying to posters I've long since put on Ignore...

Posted on Twitter and someone mentioned it on reddit /tslalounge
Nothing new, they already started this process a couple of years back - in Brussels, for instance, they closed the gallery in the centre of the city and directed everyne to the showroom on the outskirts

Makes sense here as you see Teslas on the streets a lot, they're very common

The above is just such an example of the downvote group think that goes on here, reinforced by moderators participation in the downvotes. I was openly critical of time wasted on a question that brought nothing of value to the conference call. Professional money managers asked hard hitting questions, but the retail crowd loved that tangent.
"hard hitting". Really? Perhaps rereading those questions might help. The flaw in that thinking is that even the best securities analysts do not spend much time on any given investment so they are invariably superficial, even the ones all of us like.
I strongly believe that there is a quite different issue. Normal quarterly reports from normal companies are predictable linear, rehearsed presentations. Securities analysts like those. Tesla persists in putting the Technoking on display, who works out problems in his head in all his waking hours. His presentation style is abysmal. Few disagree, but many of us find his 'stream of consciousness' very informative, although repetitive.
So, 'time wasted' is true.

Elon himself gave the solution. He'll stop attending quarterly reports. That solves the problem.

There are other fora that are better suited to his approach.

And a general observation: people attach way too much value to a disagree.

Thank you. Of course you're going to get disagrees when critiquing the literal subject of a fan board! That used to be worn as a badge of honor here back in the day, now people whine about it. Stop worry about what other people think.......except the mods/admins obviously.

Now can we get back to talking about chairs and why FSD will never work?

Tesla is probably annoyed at the stock response. ;) (ok not really, but this was fast)

That's like the biggest anti-trust red flag for regulators. One can only wish but no Tesla cannot buy NXP.
In the US at least it's only when you spread to nearby verticals that red flags are raised. Say if Tesla bought out GM or the top couple solar cell companies.

Why don't we have an analyst team here? And a quarterly analysis with price targeting? Are we not the most qualified?

I still want to find out a straight answer as to how you get to be one of the analysts whose targets are used by tipranks etc.

The above is just such an example of the downvote group think that goes on here, reinforced by moderators participation in the downvotes. I was openly critical of time wasted on a question that brought nothing of value to the conference call. Professional money managers asked hard hitting questions, but the retail crowd loved that tangent.

Obviously a lot of people disagree with your assertion that Dojo is completely irrelevant to Tesla. (People with enough shares to get the question upvoted on Say to the top portion of the list.) And you are trying to completely shut those people down because you don't agree.

I think Dojo will be important, but like a lot of things, we are seeing things way earlier than the traditional analysts assigned to Tesla. So no, the time spent on that question wasn't wasted, it was valuable in letting us know that the relevance is further out than we expected/wanted. (Did you notice there were no Dojo questions this quarter?)

BTW: It helps a lot if when you want to show a post you use the quote feature of the forum rather than posting a link. As it shows the actual text you want people to reference.

Nothing new, they already started this process a couple of years back - in Brussels, for instance, they closed the gallery in the centre of the city and directed everyne to the showroom on the outskirts

Agree - and for those of you that live in NJ, the showrooms in malls have been empty for quite some time. Nothing like walking into the Tesla store and seeing just a desk, 2 advisors, and empty space. For those that aren't familiar with the Tesla supply/demand equation right now, this might not be the best way to introduce someone to the brand.

I'd personally rather them focus on service center turn around. Still need to wait almost a month for an appointment in my area.

Morgan Stanley 4-page note this morning. First page here (read Sawyer's tweet for full note). I know we joke about Adam Jonas,/Morgan Stanley but they now seem to get it better than most analysts (and all the while still grossly-underestimate all parts of Tesla - no analyst yet fully understands where Tesla is heading and it's insurmountable lead in virtually everything it touches):
Crazy isn't it? It's like he (and his team?) really dove into the company and now understand it far better than most. His worries about China are really exaggerated but otherwise he seems to get it now.

Crazy isn't it? It's like he (and his team?) really dove into the company and now understand it far better than most. His worries about China are really exaggerated but otherwise he seems to get it now.
I would say it's more likely Morgan Stanley's investments are now more closely aligned to Tesla bulls, and therefore that's the narrative Jonas is spouting. It's clear as day he "understands" just about nothing when it comes to rational TSLA valuation. He's a talking puppet.

Surprised headline did not read "Tesla to close retail locations due to lack of foot traffic and to conserve cash"

Assumption: Some chip lines have been stopped forever as they were barely profitable & lack of orders forced a decision to close earlier than otherwise

If Ford (or other OEMs) can't EVER get the chips they EXPECT, then Ford or its suppliers will have to rejig things at a very slow speed compared to Tesla.

My question is: have some OEMs left an open goal for competitors & particularly Tesla? Let's take an extreme example, let's say Bosch widely used 1 or more discontinued chips. Bosch would have to do a lot of work (presumably) to validate their changes for all OEMs and get back to normal production rates. Similarly, other sub-systems from other suppliers might be bottlenecks for OEMs and car designs will need to change at least a little. OEMs might really be prevented from making cars in volume (in all models) for a long time. If you want a car, you WILL most likely have to switch brand to whoever has cars (including Tesla).

OEM supply chains are fragile, Tesla (and probably some Chinese & other startups) are anti-fragile, robust & resilient. The last year or so has really accelerated change in work, culture & society in my view, we're running at double speed for a while

Suppliers by revenue (Billions)
  1. Robert Bosch. $49.53 (injection plus much more)
  2. Denso Corp. $42.79 (ex Toyota, thermal, power, electronics)
  3. Magna International Inc. $40.83 (transmissions, ADAS)
  4. Continental. -$37.80 (tyre sensors?)
  5. ZF Friedrichshafen. $36.93 (transmissions, electronic suspensions)
  6. Aisin Seiki Co. $35 (Toyota Group, transmissions, electronics)
  7. Hyundai Mobis. $25.62 (Hyundai Group, airbags, lots of electronics sub-systems)
  8. Lear Corp. $21.15 (seating, electrics, more - some must have chips in)
It's maybe useful to point out that Magna manufactures the Jaguar iPace and a number of others. Right now they make models from JLR, Toyota , BMW, and Toyota.
Among those eight Tier One suppliers all make huge volumes of components including engineering and control/management of whatever they supply. For the prime users of these approaches the supplier independently designs whatever they supply. That is very efficient when no new technologies are needed. In new technologies, not so much. Thus we have VW id. 3 and many others, including Chevrolet Bolt.

Tesla, for the initial Model S was constrained in manufacturing, design and above all, very nearly unable to get supplier cooperation. As Elon said, 'we could not get the A team and sometimes could not get anyone at all'. Mercedes came to the rescue and had their suppliers provide many major Model S parts. As I recall, two air conditioner compressors from MB supplier, one for battery BMS and one for cabin. Suspension parts, switchgear and much else was taken form the Mercedes parts catalog without alteration.

That approach served Tesla well in the beginning, because otherwise they would not have been able to launch the Model S.

Soon, part by part, Tesla discovered better ways to accomplish something. Soon, less quickly, Tesla grew enough so respectable suppliers would actually deal with Tesla. Then, Tesla began, little by little, learning to do better by themselves, even seats (almost no other OEM made their own seats). Following many improvements Tesla borrowed a proprietary Inconel from SpaceX and gave us Ludicrous.

When Model X came along Tesla ended out designing and building many things that suppliers couldn't do. The FWD were to made by a supplier, which could not do it, so Tesla did it themselves and invited ne seniors and other thing to make them work. The vertical integration crept up bit by bit.

When Model 3 arrived Tesla began wholesale reinvention of numerous things, many of which Tesla made themselves. With Model Y and reconsideration of how to approach manufacturing after the initial mess with Model 3 came the realization that there were 'too many parts'. Then came bigger presses, even bigger bigger presses, then Gigapress and coming very soon even bigger Gigapresses. Along with those developments came hundreds of complete redesign elements including the SpaceX creation of Octovalve.

I gave just a few examples to illustrate how Tesla arrived at the highest vertical integration in the auto industry essentially by borrowing from SpaceX, which had itself been forced to vertical integration because they could not buy rockets.

Now teal designs their own FSD chips builds their own Supercomputers to get to FSD, sometime...

Today, watch Sandy Munro do teardown of BEVs. From IPace, VW, GM and Ford we see supplier dominations many dozens of different chips and complete independent major components. We see suppliers dictate complete subsystems, because the OEM does not want to do it themselves. We see dozens of different and incompatible fasteners. We also see no genuine systems integration.

The lesson for us all is that Tesla is reinventing manufacturing just as SpaceX did before it. The result is spectacular when it works. However, the learning curve has mistakes, misjudgments and uncertain timelines.

As we look at Tesla failures to deliver on time and with smoothly perfected whatever the item is we ned to remember that Tesla is redefining the automobile, redefining grid services, redefining energy storage and, in spare time, inventing a solar roof. None fo that is precisely predictable.

Were this to have been a 'normal OEM' Magna-Steyr or Valmet would be doing contract manufacturing. There would be other suppliers from the @UkNorthampton list doing most major systems. They would work. They would be reliable. They would not make anything innovative.

As we criticize Tesla faults we need regularly to remind ourselves what is actually happening.

Nothing about that makes me any less irritated that my Plaid has not been delivered, a month after promised (sort of..).

As we value TSLA shares we really need to remind ourselves that one major part is manufacturing innovation. That single thing keeps Tesla advancing versus all the OEM's who know exactly how do do this because they've done it for 'a hundred years'. Every analyst seems unable to comprehend just how consequential all this is.

I think we're dramatically underestimating the implications of this retail shift. To full on abandon high traffic retail is to say demand is clearly far outstripping supply for at least the next handful of years. And then you get the cost savings....good luck to those with a dealership model(i.e. everyone).

Looks like similar volume today, not insane but up a good bit from the doldrums of pre-earnings. If we can safely assume this isn't real selling, then we can only assume this volume with flat/down SP action is buying that's being counteracted by MM shorting.

I wonder how long they can keep hoovering up these orders? Used to be there was a 2 day delay in market reaction to bullish news as MM's tried to absorb the early reaction and temper euphoria. Maybe this is one of those? Will they need to start hedging as call/LEAP open interest builds?

Great to see Tasha making the same point regarding China that I have. Sure they might prefer a local company win the EV race but their primary goal is to make China the world's leader in auto manufacturing, and EVs allow them to jump past Germany and Japan. Tesla's mere presence is creating an ecosystem of supply and talent. All this worry about China and Tesla is pure FUD. I expect very favorable relations between the two for quite some time. An additional factory in China in the near future would not be a surprise to me.

I would say it's more likely Morgan Stanley's investments are now more closely aligned to Tesla bulls, and therefore that's the narrative Jonas is spouting. It's clear as day he "understands" just about nothing when it comes to rational TSLA valuation. He's a talking puppet.
ha, ok fair

I think this was already filed 24 hours back, super-early, I recall seeing a Tweet from $TSLAQ exposing the rampant fraudulence therein...

Yup- some nonsense about how they're fudging AR, or not paying suppliers to make profits look larger, or some such.

The good news is I saw a surprising # of replies explaining basic account principles to the folks making those claims and pointing out why these claims were based on someone not understanding them

Surprised headline did not read "Tesla to close retail locations due to lack of foot traffic and to conserve cash"

That's exactly the story Gordo is pushing....there again a heartening # of replies pointing out if your demand far outstrips your supply wasting money on expensive mall rentals is a dumb move, so this is smart for Tesla to do.