Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This place is crazy, I'm taking my ball and going home!

Edit, I can't delete my posts, so I can't take my ball, so I guess I'm just going home! Sorry, but my posts will have to remain.
and yet for Sheets and giggles I clicked on your profile and you were viewing this thread 15 hrs later. lol

Last edited:
Btw, not being a debbie downer........they will be forced to pay up eventually and given how amazing Q2 earnings were, it's going to be faster than even I predicted. The Accountant made a post with a chart a couple weeks ago comparing Amazon and Tesla's P/E's during their growth runs and how their P/E/s dropped over the 5 year time span while the stock price went up.

Given the amazing margins all around on Q2 and what we can project out going forward, Tesla's P/E compression will happen faster than what he showed in that chart. A bout a third faster.

Meaning, while Wall St is blatantly manipulating the stock from many different angles, I've never been more confident in the LEAPS I bought yesterday. Holy cow what a gift

The big WS firms are butthurt Tesla doesn't want (need) to do any more capital raises.

Sigh......new day same action.

Everyone loves to use the "excuse of the day" for a why TSLA stock continues to underperform. One day its the 10-year note. Next day a bitcoin drop. Next day China regulation. Next day the entire auto sector is down. Next day the entire tech sector is down. Each time the stocks that were down, rebound the next day while TSLA does nothing or continues further down.

Point being, I think we can stop looking for any excuses on any given day about why TSLA stock underperforms.....day after day after day. Anyone that thinks this is simply MM's doing the controlling for option purposes I think is being a bit naïve. To have this level of continual underperformance combined with consistently very low volume compared to just 7 months ago wreaks of market manipulation on multiple levels/fronts.

Seems pretty clear the stock isn't moving until the vast majority of funds that wanted in, whether through stock or options, get what they want.
But what do they want? These guys can't openly collude, which makes the game theory problems even greater. Why wouldn't one or more of them jump the gun?

Reactions: CHGolferJim
The big WS firms are butthurt Tesla doesn't want (need) to do any more capital raises.

This is actually pretty accurate and has been for a long time now. It's so clear on some of the analyst notes over the past year.

I should clarify that when I'm talking manipulation.....I'm talking collusion amongst the big Wall St firms and banks when it comes to the volume decay that we've seen since March. I think it's clear at this point that WS firms have been trying to break the chart for TSLA for the past 3-4 months in an effort to cause a major downside move so that they can ride it back up later in 2021 when Tesla's earnings make the stock too cheap to held down anymore. To me, the only way you get the combination of record revenue, escalating profits/earnings, growth, and massive P/E compression with no stock movement to the upside is you take away the volume. And they're doing that by colluding together on volume.

But what do they want? These guys can't openly collude, which makes the game theory problems even greater. Why wouldn't one or more of them jump the gun?

See my post above. There's really no fear if you're in a group of the big WS firms where there's a set plan and you know there's not enough available buying volume to mess with your plan. They're loving this chip shortage because they can hide behind it.

Tesla throw is definitely throwing them some curveballs. No one saw Q2 earnings coming and it will have huge ramifications for every earnings going forward. I think they know the gig is up by Q3 earnings. I think we can all agree that if Tesla just "met" expectations for Q2 earnings, they were going to try and drive the stock down for a big sell off. Hence why I don't think any of the big Wall St firms are positioned for a Tesla rally

Yes, as was stated on the call, Tesla can shift between energy and automotive, but it may not be as simple as you post appears to make it.
Last I was aware, Energy uses NMC cells and Automotive uses NCA (part of the current 31 flavors issued Elon mentioned). So, while Tesla can redirect cell production, it's not as granular as a per car basis (assuming cells were not already in a pack).

PW does use some of the same chips as automotive (of course not all).

Also, it's a loooong bus ride from Fremont (or Austin) to Buffalo [or Sparks]. Seems possible to do PW assembly at/ near Fremont though.
Tesla has several more advantages over the legacy OEM’s in the competition to get chips in addition.

1. The chip makers probably see that Tesla’s future is brighter than the legacies and will want to nourish that relationship.

2. Tesla has lower volume and fewer chips per car, "the best part is no part," so they will be much easier to fulfill completely than the legacies.

3. Tesla may be able to outbid the legacies on price even taking into account the lower volume of Tesla’s orders. Tesla cars have a high ASP. Tesla’s margins are good. Tesla also has the pricing power, due to high demand, to pass along some if not all of the price increases.

These points will apply, more so even, to suppliers of things besides chips looking to their own futures.

"They" are clearly trying to wear us down to free up more shares.

I don't know about their timeframe, but I've got at least another 25 years to live and TSLA is about the only company that I trust anymore and where I put my money.

I don't think we use that word "trust" enough around here regarding our connection with Tesla. Maybe that's why I've always trusted FSD to get to L4/5, no doubt here. Loved the fact that they are sacrificing software revenue opportunities to focus on FSD. Their eyes are on the correct ball IMHO.

This is actually pretty accurate and has been for a long time now. It's so clear on some of the analyst notes over the past year.

I should clarify that when I'm talking manipulation.....I'm talking collusion amongst the big Wall St firms and banks when it comes to the volume decay that we've seen since March. I think it's clear at this point that WS firms have been trying to break the chart for TSLA for the past 3-4 months in an effort to cause a major downside move so that they can ride it back up later in 2021 when Tesla's earnings make the stock too cheap to held down anymore. To me, the only way you get the combination of record revenue, escalating profits/earnings, growth, and massive P/E compression with no stock movement to the upside is you take away the volume. And they're doing that by colluding together on volume.

It's unbelievable they can do this to a stock at TSLA's size.

Any "oldtimers" remember how ie Apple and Amazon were treated by Wall Street and MMs when they broke their trend and started growing a lot?

Tesla is probably annoyed at the stock response. ;) (ok not really, but this was fast)

In the US at least it's only when you spread to nearby verticals that red flags are raised. Say if Tesla bought out GM or the top couple solar cell companies.

I still want to find out a straight answer as to how you get to be one of the analysts whose targets are used by tipranks etc.
Don't you just pay a fee?

• Funny
Reactions: wipster
and yet for Sheets and giggles I clicked on your profile and you were viewing this thread 115 hrs later. lol
Sure, I'm invested in Tesla and there are a lot of smart and informed people here and I want to see what they have to say. I just don't want to engage with them, or for that matter people like you just looking to ridicule.

TLDR:"
  • Key senators announced a bipartisan infrastructure deal on Wednesday, but it was unclear whether it had the 60 votes needed to pass.
  • Senators could release the bill and vote on whether to advance it as soon as Wednesday."

"The infrastructure plan is expected to invest $579 billion in new money in transportation, broadband and utilities.

Schumer failed last week to start debate on the bipartisan plan. The Republican senators working on the bill with Democrats and the White House voted against advancing it as they tried to iron out disagreements.

The Democratic leader aims to pass the bipartisan plan and a budget resolution that would kickstart his party’s legislation before the Senate leaves Washington for its recess next month. Using budget reconciliation, Democrats can pass their bill without a Republican vote.

The bipartisan plan would need 60 votes to pass. It means at least 10 Republicans would have to back it if all Democrats sign off, or one more GOP senator would have to vote for it for every Democratic defection."

I should also say I've seen a lot of documentaries and read a lot of books about Wall St and the supposed "safeguards" to prevent collusion.......and it's a complete joke. These guys can (and do) openly collaborate/collude together on many strategies and investments. The SEC has zero power and it seems based on the SEC's actions over the past 30-40 years of Wall St, they have no desire to do anything about it.

Was being capped below 650 while the other growth EV stocks were sharply rising, then when the algos decided to sell off the sector, $TSLA was allowed to fall too - Max Pain is currently $647.50 for this Friday (likely will drop a bit before then to $645), so MM's keeping it under control

Edit: ad graph, updated

View attachment 689151

The Hang Seng dropped like 10% in 4 days. Chinese stocks are recovering today. It's not just EV stocks, but BABA, DIDI, JD... All are up at least 5%.

US stocks are mostly flat waiting for the FOMC meeting.

Any "oldtimers" remember how ie Apple and Amazon were treated by Wall Street and MMs when they broke their trend and started growing a lot?

The difference is that Tesla is upending much more powerful and entrenched industries. There’s a difference between advancing consumer electronics or killing brick-and-mortar retail vs completely transforming energy generation, storage, and consumption on a global scale.

It bears repeating because I think people (not you) forget: This is not a normal company. This company’s impact on the world is not normal. This company’s opponents are not the usual. This is not a normal stock, and the journey/ride/adventure of being an investor in it will be anything but normal.

Sigh......new day same action.

Everyone loves to use the "excuse of the day" for a why TSLA stock continues to underperform. One day its the 10-year note. Next day a bitcoin drop. Next day China regulation. Next day the entire auto sector is down. Next day the entire tech sector is down. Each time the stocks that were down, rebound the next day while TSLA does nothing or continues further down.

Point being, I think we can stop looking for any excuses on any given day about why TSLA stock underperforms.....day after day after day. Anyone that thinks this is simply MM's doing the controlling for option purposes I think is being a bit naïve. To have this level of continual underperformance combined with consistently very low volume compared to just 7 months ago wreaks of market manipulation on multiple levels/fronts.

Seems pretty clear the stock isn't moving until the vast majority of funds that wanted in, whether through stock or options, get what they want.
It’s all about perspective. I’m just glad it didn’t fall back to 400. That would be an awesome buying opportunity, but at some loss of sleep and psychological anguish. On second thought maybe that wouldn’t be so bad. The stock price is too high. Quit your bitchin. /s

Sure, I'm invested in Tesla and there are a lot of smart and informed people here and I want to see what they have to say. I just don't want to engage with them, or for that matter people like you just looking to ridicule.
A very wise young group of people once gave me this advice, it’s actually not half bad.
“Bro, Chill”

Everyone is welcome. Don’t take your dolly and go home, just say what you have to say, and participate. I’ve got many disagrees from legends on this board, it does “hurt”, but if we all agree, that means we are too one-sided. State your position on an issue, and when others disagree at least try to view it from their angle before jumping to conclusions.

Mind this advice from my mother also:
“If you have nothing nice to say, don’t say it at all”

That goes out to anyone and applies to most situations, Minus situations where Toilet Boy or GLJ is involved

Last edited:
What if it's all a game of chicken. If investors know the plan is that "they" will short it hard (based on media signals or smoke rings), then they might wait for the better entry price. But now the shorts see the Tesla momentum, upgrades, and also don't want to get caught flat footed with some FSD release right when they're floating it down hard, fearing they could get another Gamestop type response. So the safest place is $650, waiting for someone to flinch. (Who knows...)

Not an old timer but I’ve been trading (Not just buying and holding) since the mid-2010s.

I think the challenge w/ Tesla stock right now is that we’re still unwinding a lot of that Gamma created last year, when really fortunate investors bought long dated OTM options. For example, OI on September $120 calls is 3,412!

I think this was the basis for most bear cases, and why they took out large put positions in Q1. They rightfully assumed that Tesla stock would spend the first half of the year unwinding gamma from last year, and that a larger than expected market sell off would tank everything

Tesla stock has held on though. I’d say it’s done better than expected (My personal view was sub-$400).

For now - Market Makers can manipulate options on both sides to get their desired outcomes (They are making a killing off of Tesla), but the right whale can easily send this to the moon.