Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the bond market is just being spastic and will continue to trend lower as the pandemic is not under control which means the fed are less willing to raise rates today than say a month ago. Job reports are laggy like covid deaths so it's very short term dump of bonds.
The Fed is more likely to start tapering their asset purchase and raise interest rates after today's job report. They already signaled that anything above 800k new jobs and they could start tapering. The reports can be laggy, but 900k increase in payroll is nothing to sneeze at. Wages are increasing, and the labor shortage is also not as bad as it was two months ago.

This was also reflected on the market today. GS, BAC, JPM are all up today while growth stocks are down. There is going to be a lot of eyes on the FOMC meeting in September.

Looks like we're right at Max pain for today now, so I suspect the show is over for the week, folks.
I know the given maxpain is $697.50 or so. But just eyeballing the second chart (which I am told is the right one) there is a definite peak of puts at $705. If doesn't go above $705 I will wonder about my sources (here).
MMMMM at 2:55 PM I looked to make sure I was reading it right... it seems as though I looked at it wrong...$705 is a call peak. So less than $705.

you're straight up delusional if you think Elon Musk has any friggin idea who you or i are, or cares what we say on the internet.

(besides i'm one of the biggest Tesla homers in the world -- i merely don't think the man is a literal infallible god like you do)

In case it wasn't clear to everyone, I only used "Elon Musk's little black book" as a proxy for Tesla and the customer data they have. So, yes, Tesla knows exactly "who you are" relative to what you have purchased from them, when you bought each item and what you paid for it. They also have a record of every time you have used Tesla Service how many times you have contacted them about the same, what each visit was for and what the resolution was. They also know whether you have free SC'ing, how often you charge and where you charge. And I think you had better look up the words "infallible" and "god" (or maybe just the word literal) because I'm literally confused with how you are using those words here. 😉

Last edited:

TL;DR: Great news for the mission, & Tesla. "EV sales are surging, well above previous quarterly and yearly levels—both in California and in the U.S. as a whole.
Nationally, there were nearly 159,000 EVs sold in the second quarter, for a total of about 310,000 for the first half of the year—already very close to the 2020 total of about 322,000 for the entire year. "

1628276972413.png

Not much of an update since Tesla said that the rate was currently greater than 450k:

View attachment 693075
You are mixing up capacity and rate. It is very difficult to get the rate above 85% of line capacity, an achieved rate of 450,000 means that the capacity is above 500,000 and may be above 550,000. Ray saying that the rate may soon be above 500,000 is also an indication that capacity is above 550,000 as it takes time for production to rise towards capacity.

Yeah it's actually a pretty amazing thing to me that despite raising the prices of the 3/Y about $4,000 throughout the year, the amount of demand outpacing production is actually increasing. Even if we just assume Fremont stays at it's current production rate for Q3/Q4 which is a very safe bet, that means US demand is progressively outpacing the Fremont quarterly production rate of about 105k 3/Y's, and by quite a lot.

Also keep in mind, ALL Fremont production is going to US markets now in Q3 instead of the first month's production being exported like in Q2.....and despite this, we're still seeing longer estimated delivery times for new orders. Pretty incredible demand

It's been awhile since this dynamic was so obvious, but an early observation from when Model S started shipping and has been consistently reinforced ever since:
When Tesla sells a car, they don't satisfy 1 unit of demand. Instead the car sold satisfies one unit of demand and creates 1.2 or 1.5 or something units of new demand.

The more that they sell, the more people that want them. There is of course a logical limit to this dynamic, but starting at 1-3% market share leaves an awful lot of room for this to continue.

I think this is the first time in several years when this dynamic has been so apparent - at least to me.

In case it wasn't clear to everyone, I only used "Elon Musk's little black book" as a proxy for Tesla and the customer data they have. So, yes, Tesla knows exactly "who you are" relative to what you have purchased from them, when you bought each item and what you paid for it. They also have a record of every time you have used Tesla Service

(once, for the 3 year scheduled maintenance)

how many times you have contacted them about the same

(zero times)

, what each visit was for and what the resolution was. They also know whether you have free SC'ing, how often you charge and where you charge.

(approximately four supercharging stops per year -- when we go to Canada.)

And I think you had better look up the words "infallible" and "god" (or maybe just the word literal) because I'm literally confused with how you are using those words here. 😉

no, you're definitely not.

but it's super cool of you to weirdly assume i'm some kind of problem customer based on nothing. Falls in line with your secret fantasy that Elon is a big fan of your posting here.

You are mixing up capacity and rate. It is very difficult to get the rate above 85% of line capacity, an achieved rate of 450,000 means that the capacity is above 500,000 and may be above 550,000. Ray saying that the rate may soon be above 500,000 is also an indication that capacity is above 550,000 as it takes time for production to rise towards capacity.

No, I didn't.

What he linked to said "the annualized production rate for MIC Model 3/Y has reached 450k". What Tesla supplied was the exact same measurement. (And doesn't take into account any downtime for maintenance, holidays, parts shortages, etc.)

Both could be based on a single days production rate of ~1232 cars. (Or it could be based on the output of a single hour being ~51 cars.) Most likely it is based on the speed of the slowest step of the process.

It's been awhile since this dynamic was so obvious, but an early observation from when Model S started shipping and has been consistently reinforced ever since:
When Tesla sells a car, they don't satisfy 1 unit of demand. Instead the car sold satisfies one unit of demand and creates 1.2 or 1.5 or something units of new demand.

The more that they sell, the more people that want them. There is of course a logical limit to this dynamic, but starting at 1-3% market share leaves an awful lot of room for this to continue.

I think this is the first time in several years when this dynamic has been so apparent - at least to me.
"When Tesla sells a car, they don't satisfy 1 unit of demand. Instead the car sold satisfies one unit of demand and creates 1.2 or 1.5 or something units of new demand". What a great concept. Much like how we assess the "spreadability" of a virus by it R-nought (R with a subscript 0).

We could call that unit a "CarNought" !

Here we are in the final 12 minutes of regulation play. The option sellers are clearly pushing for a close right at 700, but in previous weeks we've seen traders jump in at the last minute to take advantage of a possible bump upwards on Monday morning. Grabbing the popcorn to watch.

Edit: looks like some of those 700-strike put buyers might be making their move. This is not expected but makes for a great game. No way am I willing to bet real money on the outcome of this game today.

Edit2: Maybe the game is to get TSLA below 700 for the close, which makes 700 resistance on the way up. Oh those sneaky SOBs.

Last edited:
I think that the better way to think about it is that different investors have different investment criteria, and different levels of information.

Maybe I'm just dumb, but it seems like this to me:
Experimenter : Want one marshmallow now or two in an hour?
Investor : I'll wait and take two
Experimenter : * increases interest rates a bit *
Experimenter : Want one marshmallow now, or 1.9 marshmallows in an hour?
Investor : * eats marshmallow *

I know the given maxpain is $697.50 or so. But just eyeballing the second chart (which I am told is the right one) there is a definite peak of puts at $705. If doesn't go above $705 I will wonder about my sources (here).
MMMMM at 2:55 PM I looked to make sure I was reading it right... it seems as though I looked at it wrong...$705 is a call peak. So less than $705.
I've observed many times that put-walls are less dependable than calls - seems that MM's are OK to acquire shares, but somewhat resistant to selling them - hence was expecting >$700 close today, but not totally shocked to see it lower

(once, for the 3 year scheduled maintenance)

(zero times)

(approximately four supercharging stops per year -- when we go to Canada.)

no, you're definitely not.

but it's super cool of you to weirdly assume i'm some kind of problem customer based on nothing. Falls in line with your secret fantasy that Elon is a big fan of your posting here.
Can you guys take it outside please?