Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, TSLA & the Investment World: the Perpetual Investors' Roundtable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Being “first” means nothing in this context.

Bolt vs Model 3
Mach E vs Model Y
Nokia/BB vs iPhone
Etc

Yes many CT reservations will flip. But in the end, CT will still do very well.
I don't think you'll see many go from CT to Lightning or Rivian, since Lightning & Rivian will likely take even longer to spin up manufacturing, and their production numbers will probably be quite low for awhile.

Think about it. SUBSCRIPTIONS TO FSD will be viewed by the consumer as a great alternative to an insurance premium. (Now the axxwipe that deliberately drives a vehicle without any insurance?)
I'm optimistic about FSD in general, but there is a 0% chance that you would never need a steering wheel or pedals anytime in the near to moderate future.

Being “first” means nothing in this context.

Bolt vs Model 3
Mach E vs Model Y
Nokia/BB vs iPhone
Etc

Yes many CT reservations will flip. But in the end, CT will still do very well.
Many? Define many? It’s not like these other companies are going to be popping out 100’s of thousands. They’ll have a hard enough time doing single digit thousands.

First the vehicles need to be available for purchase. They aren’t at this point anymore than CT is available. When they are available presumably those with reservations have first dibs - that about accounts for initial production runs because BATTERIES (and now apparently chips).

Embarrassing?? That makes no sense to feel embarrassed. After all that Tesla has done, after all the other mfgs also have/had/continue to have delays, you’re embarrassed for Tesla?! Please.

Embarrassed should be bragging how you’re first to market with a 35k EV that’s going to be so much competition for Tesla as to quite likely put them out of business and then have to recall every single one because you cherry cheesecaked it.

Embarrassed is being a long established mfger bragging about how awesome your EV is and then parking them for months on end because uh, the software doesn’t actually work, never mind the cheating and lying that you also did for decades that prematurely killed and continues to kill people.

Embarrassment should be every intentional lie spouted, bought and paid for, and advertised.

What’s not embarrassing is delaying a revolutionary product with never before done mass production processes that will save lives via its 5* rating and its non-emissions. It’s not embarrassing taking the necessary engineering time to get this product right. It’s not embarrassing taking the time to get something else (production of MY) off your plate and ensure its success first.

Yeah, except CT is NOT delayed. That was some BS that Sawyer added to sell his tweets. He immediately corrected his statement on twitter.

Don't make me quote Sawyer :p

Cheers!

lol, I have to say, if the numbers you release 3 days from the end of the month (the original tweet, IIRC) are more than 40% off... maybe you should just wait the extra week and get it right.

I love how everyone on twitter was saying this guy's always accurate....even when there were 3 days left in the month. Seemed really suspect and completely unnecessary to make the first tweet when the month isn't even over and the numbers could change.

In fact my response to the post that first had the tweet was "How does he know there aren't thousands of Tesla's en route to delivery center over the weekend and scheduled for delivery?"........Turns out yeah....that matters lol

I'm optimistic about FSD in general, but there is a 0% chance that you would never need a steering wheel or pedals anytime in the near to moderate future.
You just plug your XBox steering wheel/pedal set in to the USB port for those cases. Or use your iPad linked to the vehicle. (Tilt left/right for steering, Forward/Backward for acceleration/braking.) :rolleyes:

Didn't Tesla submit something about alternate controls for driving? Was it a patent? Or something to NHTSA? SAE?

Just in case anyone was wondering how Giga China was doing now......

Btw turns out the "week" of downtime at Giga China was in fact only 4 days and only some lines were down during that time. This is why I ignore all the constant clickbait out there when I try to do my estimates of quarterly production.

The important part is the last line with EnBW offering a monthly subscription of 5,99€ for low fees per kwh below Tesla current rates in Germany.

So imho Tesla can either offer non subscription cost model with slightly higher prices per kwh or a 5-10€/month subscription with same costs as currently around 40ct/kwh.

I would personally prefer to having a subscription model of 9,99€/month with the same costs as Tesla owners per kwh - this would help Tesla build out the network and keep pricing-structure simple for all parties - I would maybe ad a sign-up fee around 20€ that gets waived if you subscribe to a 12 or 24 month term contract.

On first consideration this sounded good. But decisions like this have a long string of consequences that may not be apparent at first blush. One small negative consequence I immediately noticed is the Tesla Supercharger Network would no longer get occasional drop-ins, non-Tesla owners who don't travel a lot on the open road but occasionally needed a fast charge to complete that once or twice/year trip.

Contemplating further, I realized a monthly SC subscription with rates much lower than all competitors would practically guarantee all heavy fast-charger users would want to subscribe and those users would only use non-Tesla fast chargers when the location was considerably more convenient for them. This could cause economic hardship for the owners of those competing networks and put them out of business (at worse) or substantially slow their expansion (most likely). As EV penetration increases this puts even more demand on Tesla fast chargers because competing networks don't want to go where Tesla already has a location.

With the explosion of EV adoption most of us expect over the next 8 years, I really don't think Tesla wants to do anything that could slow the buildout of other fast charging networks. The problem is networks need to built out to handle peak holiday needs, the rest of the time they will be at very low utilization. That's why fast charging networks are only a profitable business if you can charge high rates and not worry about not being able to meet peak holiday demand. It's in Tesla's best interests to charge a relatively high per kW fee to ensure the competing networks can continue to grow and expand.

THE TWO OF YOU: TAKE IT TO PRIVATE MESSAGES. NEXT POST BETWEEN YOU TWO IN THIS GETS A VERY LONG TIME OUT.
You are being ridiculous and this is my last comment on your silly straw man argument.

I haven't seen anyone claim that Tesla can't sell their cars to Texans. Obviously they can - everyone on this forum knows this. The claim has always been that Tesla is not allowed to make the sale in Texas like every other major automaker can. This is not a level playing field.

Yes, steps can be taken to help minimize the disadvantage Tesla is put in but it cannot be totally eliminated until Tesla is legally allowed to compete on equal footing. It's not FUD, the disadvantage Tesla is put at is a disgrace. And you appear to admit that Texas auto dealerships would fight tooth and nail to maintain this anti-competitive law. That's all the proof we need to know that it works, that it disadvantages Tesla relative to the the big OEM's.

How I will love the day we don't call them the "big" OEM's any longer!

I have claimed that Tesla sells plenty of cars to Texans, as a response to those who claim "you can't buy a Tesla car in Texas" and would appreciate it if you didn't twist what I wrote as if it were the opposite.

You have my agreement that it is not a level playing field. I offered examples of how Tesla and supporters can eek out some advantage within the framework of the stupid statutes, until they are changed. You appear to think what was written meant something else.

Sure, once the statutes are changed Tesla will have equal footing, however, that is not the map we are working with today. You seem to think that spreading inaccuracies is okay in the interim. I think that curbing the FUD drama might be a better option, until the statutes can be changed. My point is there are other available choices that don't involve spreading inaccuracies that undermine Tesla sales.

Special interest groups who have lobbied for protectionist legislation will always fight to keep it. Is this supposed to be news? The question should be what can be done until that can be addressed to inform the uninformed who have been exposed to misleading information regarding their ability to purchase a Tesla in Texas (and other states that still have these draconian laws)?

Every word I have provided agrees the existing statute disadvantages Tesla and other Online Purchase schemes for EVs. You write as if you think I am arguing otherwise.

Everything you have written is on the same page as what I had hoped to convey. Only, what you offer stops short of agreeing that there are methods which can be implemented to promote the legislation being changed while educating potential customers about the problem. Thus, leading them to both own a Tesla AND share their voice about the Dealer Cartel needing to have their advantages curtailed in order to level the playing field. Legislative change won't happen until the congress-critters feel it is in their best interest to do so. Having an informed constituency is one way to alter their position on the matter.

Barring a "special session" the next opportunity to change the legislation is in 2013. Those who disagree appear to believe that sitting on our hands and complaining, while parroting FUD is a better option over acting in that time to share the facts in order to better inform those interested in Tesla ownership and the company's goals.

Bottom line remains how continuing to propagate the narrative that a Tesla car cannot be purchased in Texas may not be the most effective method to achieve the desired result. It is a sound-bite based on falsehood casually tossed about where further detail would serve better towards getting the statute changed.

When wanting to sway someone's opinion it is generally best to not begin by lying to them.

Rather than perpetuating falsehood that helps those who lobbied for protectionist laws maintain their advantage, instead,

Explain how the Texas Dealer Association long ago successfully lobbied for a statute that prevents an OEM from eliminating the middle-man by opening their own store and selling their product directly to a customer and explain how a customer can get around it.

This is all I am suggesting and I don't understand the significant push-back coming from folks who I thought would be aligned with promoting Tesla's ability to sell product in order to raise the share price.

Last edited:
You just plug your XBox steering wheel/pedal set in to the USB port for those cases. Or use your iPad linked to the vehicle. (Tilt left/right for steering, Forward/Backward for acceleration/braking.) :rolleyes:

Didn't Tesla submit something about alternate controls for driving? Was it a patent? Or something to NHTSA? SAE?
Neuralink?
Although then Tesla should make sure that there is a banana smoothie delivery system to the driver.

I have claimed that Tesla sells plenty of cars to Texans, as a response to those who claim "you can't buy a Tesla car in Texas" and would appreciate it if you didn't twist what I wrote as if it were the opposite.

You have my agreement that it is not a level playing field. I offered examples of how Tesla and supporters can eek out some advantage within the framework of the stupid statutes, until they are changed. You appear to think what was written meant something else.

Sure, once the statutes are changed Tesla will have equal footing, however, that is not the map we are working with today. You seem to think that spreading inaccuracies is okay in the interim. I think that curbing the FUD drama might be a better option, until the statutes can be changed. My point is there are other available choices that don't involve spreading inaccuracies that undermine Tesla sales.

Special interest groups who have lobbied for protectionist legislation will always fight to keep it. Is this supposed to be news? The question should be what can be done until that can be addressed to inform the uninformed who have been exposed to misleading information regarding their ability to purchase a Tesla in Texas (and other states that still have these draconian laws)?

Every word I have provided agrees the existing statute disadvantages Tesla and other Online Purchase schemes for EVs. You write as if you think I am arguing otherwise.

Everything you have written is on the same page as what I had hoped to convey. Only, what you offer stops short of agreeing that there are methods which can be implemented to promote the legislation being changed while educating potential customers about the problem. Thus, leading them to both own a Tesla AND share their voice about the Dealer Cartel needing to have their advantages curtailed in order to level the playing field. Legislative change won't happen until the congress-critters feel it is in their best interest to do so. Having an informed constituency is one way to alter their position on the matter.

Barring a "special session" the next opportunity to change the legislation is in 2013. Those who disagree appear to believe that sitting on our hands and complaining, while parroting FUD is a better option over acting in that time to share the facts in order to better inform those interested in Tesla ownership and the company's goals.

Bottom line remains how continuing to propagate the narrative that a Tesla car cannot be purchased in Texas may not be the most effective method to achieve the desired result. It is a sound-bite based on falsehood casually tossed about where further detail would serve better towards getting the statute changed.

When wanting to sway someone's opinion it is generally best to not begin by lying to them.

Mod: Ha! You nosed me out on this one. And this is the last episode of the Texas ‘sales ban’ story, which we’ve heard at least five times already over the last few years, and which has now turned into a one-on-one discussion that may be continued via PM.

Is a small fab even a thing?

I know many discount the idea due to cost, but money isn't really an issue for Tesla. We shouldn't forget that this is the same company that went from building a chopped up Lotus with laptop batteries to building AI supercomputers and humanoid robots in less than two decades. Very little would surprise me.
I think if Tesla is going to have it's own fab, it will not attempt to be a state-of-the-art (SOA) small feature fab. Instead it would make power devices and sensors devices, and maybe some simple microcontroller chips. None of these needs tiny feature size and the equipment to make them is far less costly. IF there are significant shortages of these kinds of devices that Tesla needs, I could see Elon bringing that manufacturing in house, and it could even be a "small" fab and still make economic sense.

Tesla could change it's business model and become a conglomerate that also makes SOA chips but I think Elon is smart enough to realize that's not the right move. As others have pointed out, this is not an industry that has been stuck in the old ways of thinking and moves slowly, quite the opposite actually.

Imagine for a minute that you flipped everything on its head and legislation was popping up across the world which required all cars to be internal combustion by 2030. Think of the impact on Tesla. Then you wake up from that dream and you remember you're one of the legacy automakers.
I totally heard the guy's voice as I was reading your post.
141112-goldstein-twilight-zone-tease_o48zge.jpg